WCU Online Gaming Club
Sign in to follow this  
FTE Kaz-Ka

Love/Hate

honestly i was skeptic about this LAN since there really not many games i wanted to play and i was kinda mad that resistance, goldeneye and NCAA were voted in, which was b/c no one showed up to vote. I honestly didnt think those were right for the LAN and it turned out i was right, but atleast now ppl know. Though when i showed up i had a blast. I met so many knew ppl and a few i already knew that i had no idea played video games like that. Was real cool!

here are my ratings.

+ there were a whole lot of new people there

+ advertising had gotten alot better

+ Street Fighter was a great addition to the LAN

+ thought the new execs did a good first job

- I saw the ps3 leader cuss out the Console VP, which was very un proffesional on the clubs part (well his). If the VP says to do something that console leader should listen.

- One game shouldnt be played on both consoles it was very ineffecient

- Games need to be voted in that will draw more people, not games only a few ppl think will be fun

- More Pizza!

- Better Organization with the schedule

Lets make the next LAN even better!

Sorry I couldnt get more pizza Exile, Reslife only gave us $200 which got us 23 large pizzas. And as far as the console vp being cussed at thing goes, I handled it. Since Street fighter IV was such a big tournament, I decided to help the ps3 leader (because it was his job to run that tournament since it was dual platform and Audyo wasnt there) out and I approved of the way he was running things so the console vp shouldn't have said anything to begin with. But this will be elaborated on at the meeting, so lets end this discussion for now.

Despite the rather large turnout and the fact that a lot of my close friends showed up (which meant a lot to me personally considering some of the family things I'm dealing with right now), I was generally unhappy with how some of things were run.

I personally ran the NCAA 09 tourney, which I was happy to play in, but at the same time it was probably the worst time of the year to play it considering most sports gamers minds are on Basketball and Baseball seasons, thus why I thought there was a rather small turn out. Gears, though not officially voted in, got shafted at the end of the night, and as a result there were a lot of hot tempers that went off in the process. Resistance 2 and 007 were very poor game choices, which was exactly as I had suspected back when I heard they were chosen in the first place.

And to be all honest, despite the fact that I had fun hanging out with my friends, unless things change with the game choices, and peoples mentalities and attitudes regarding said choices, this past LAN will probably be the last one I attend here at Western.

Now you guys know how us PS3 guys felt last year, not even being able to have a PS3 tournament until I came around and turned some heads with the Soul Calibur IV turnout last semester. Now things like Resistance 2 and Goldeneye not doing to great should be an incentive for you guys to come out this Thursday and vote because I remember back in the day when you 360 guys were all for playing only the games that were voted in. And no offense Dark Omen but the LAN isnt just about the 360, bigger selections of games should be played other than 360 shooters and EVERYONE in this club should be thinking about what will draw in a bigger crowed to the LANs other than their own selfish wants (and I mean all of the people that were pouting about Gears, and the whole way SFIV was ran, come on people, think about others and not just yourselves)

Personally, I'd like to see a good mix of PS3 and 360 games. Maybe switch it so all fighting games will be played on PS3 and all shooters on 360. I kinda hope we vote in Halo 3. It usually draws in a lot of people. I think I'll nominate the console version of L4D.

Well, I've been doing my research on the numbers... Some game choices to look into...

Killzone 2 (good replacement for Resistance 2)

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

Then of course, I know people have a lot of interest in Halo Wars. However this has its drawbacks as well.

Left 4 Dead would be fun but a tournament for that would take incredibly too long.

Also, we may want to look into bringing back a music game like Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour. For these, I think we could easily set up 2 tournaments based on difficulty and run them side-by-side.

My suggested list for the next LAN:

BRAWL.

SFIV and/or SCIV.

GoW2/H3/CoD4 (Urging that at least 1 must be there).

-Open-

-Open-

-Open if only one fighter was chosen above.-

The remaining open slots would be open for discussion and debate as to consider how much resources we have for those games, if a tournament would be reasonable and feasible, and if we think it would have enough interest to draw a considerable crowd.

Edited by Audyo

BRAWL.

SFIV and/or SCIV.

-Open-

-Open-

Both Street Fighter 4 and Soulcalibur 4 did very well. I think we should keep both.

My ideal list:

Street Fighter 4 (PS3)

Soulcalibur 4 (PS3)

Halo 3 (360)

Gears of War 2 (360)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

Edited by Ephraim

Brawl, Steet Fighter IV, and Soul Calibur IV will both be in the next LAN if we are going to keep some games from the previous LAN because they were our 3 highest attended games (if I'm not mistaken) and I do not see anyone arguing with me about keepin these because they really do draw in big crowds.

BRAWL.

SFIV and/or SCIV.

-Open-

-Open-

This will most likely be how things turn out for the next LAN, after what we tried in this one. Brawl ALWAYS draws a big crowd, no question. It's good that we had SF4, because it was new, but now that we see how *edited* it can be in a tournament setting I think it should be left for free play. It seems unanimous that holding dual console fighting games was a bad idea anyway.

However, I think it's a good thing we went through with 007. I talked to a few people from Reynolds that only came because they heard about this tournament (I'm not saying we should vote it in again, but that hopefully they will return for the next LAN regardless). Gears 2 always draws a guarenteed following for the LAN, but while holding our 12:00 to 5:00 UC setup for a week before the LAN we only had 3 people total ask about a Halo 3 tournament. I have no input on CoD4 or Resistance 2, I never got any questions about them nor saw how Resistance was run (I heard there was a networking problem?).

Considering how popular ST4 was I'd say it would be adventageous to host it at least once more to gauge if attendees are still interested (which I believe they will be). It is very possible to do both ST4 and SC4 at the same LAN, as long as they are at totally different times and we nail down one system.

Edited by Ephraim

My ideal list:

Street Fighter 4 (PS3)

Soulcalibur 4 (PS3)

Halo 3 (360)

Gears of War 2 (360)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)

Halo Wars/Killzone 2/Mario Kart/ Guitar Hero WT/ Rock Band

Considering how popular ST4 was I'd say it would be adventageous to host it at least once more to gauge if attendees are still interested (which I believe they will be). It is very possible to do both ST4 and SC4 at the same LAN, as long as they are at totally different times and we nail down one system.

Another thing to consider though, almost all of Soul Calibur and Street Fighter's competitors entered both competitions (and a few people got excluded from Soul Calibur somehow, not sure why). Considering we've already established a following in Soul Calibur from previous LANs, we can't assume that we would have a lower attendance if Street Fighter were to no longer be a tournament.

Edited by Eyce

We really can't assert anything about Street Fighter without a survey of all the participants. Regardless, I think we need a flexible framework that will work for the upcoming LAN and every LAN afterward.

As far as PC goes, the line-up needs to be tweaked as well. I don't know how well the L4D tournament played since it was really experimental in all regards, I think. CS:S and TF2 are definites though. I think UT3 needs to be at least considered (especially since it won't have the programs setting up that CoD4 has). We could even look into bringing back CS 1.6 or some other game.

I had fun..but NO JOSEY! where dat foo at?? need a comp dat can run TF2, L4D, and Source also..other than that..all gravy baby...LOOT()()L!!!

My Ideal list is very similar to the ones previously stated

Street Fighter 4 (PS3)or(360) not both

Soulcalibur 4 (PS3)

Halo 3 (360)/Cod4(360)

Gears of War 2 (360)/Gears 1

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)/melee

Killzone 2/Mario Kart64/ Guitar Hero WT/ Rock Band 2/MK DC/Halo 1

I will only allow 6 games total for console tournaments. Preferably at least 1 for each system and no game will be played on multiple platforms.

I strongly suggest we compile a catagorized list such as the ones people have been posting so we are assured to please the most people and vote from those instead of the way we have been doing it.

I have my notes made for all possible game choices that have been mentioned so far. We're not aiming to "please" the most people here. We're attempting to 1) maximize the potential LAN attendance while 2) maximizing efficiency.

Games that should be played for consoles:

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

-Street Fighter IV (PS3, Ill explain why Thursday)

-Soul Calibur IV (PS3)

-Gears of War II

-MK vs. DC Universe (PS3) or Halo 3

-Killzone 2 (Its pretty bad *edited*)

Thats just my opinon though. As far as the first 3 fighters though, I HIGHLY suggest that we keep them because they really do bring in a majority of our people. I know some of these would be experimental, especially MK vs DC, but from what Ive read on other forums, MK vs DC Universe has had PLENTY of tournaments around the US, and I personally think it would be worth looking into. Its user friendly and has a deep side to it (the just input specials and hidden combos out of specials. In my opinion, its what a true 3D Street Fighter IV would have been.

I have already been talking to MasterP about the new PC lineup, we are thinking something like:

CS:S

TF2

L4D

UT3

CS 1.6

I think thats a good idea Nickname but why 2 Counter Strike games (just curious).

cuz pretty much any computer ever can run CS 1.6 and it has a dedicated fan community. CSS players and CS1.6 players are from opposite spectrums

cuz pretty much any computer ever can run CS 1.6 and it has a dedicated fan community. CSS players and CS1.6 players are from opposite spectrums

q4t!

I have no idea why anyone would oppose hosting SF4 at the next LAN. When a game brings in a huge number of people at one LAN, it is only logical for it to be played at the next. It should be played and played until we see numbers decline.

Also, I think MK vs. DCU would be great. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat at the same LAN. That's just cool.

Here is a thought, I have been hearing that many people would be willing to come out of state to play a game. What if we allow people to nominate games on the forums, this would give us a bigger game base to play with. However voting on which games to play could still only be done at the meeting. Forgive me I am thinking and typing at the same time, I dunno it is just a thought, maybe somebody can take it and run with it. If some of the people's opinions that I talked to are correct, you could increase LAN attendance by offering games that people on the forums would like to play. I know we all have our opinions of what a good line up would be, but what it comes down to is not everyone is going to be pleased and that everyone needs to be open-minded about the types of games that are played.