13 replies to this topic

#1 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

Ok so for the next LAN for the 360 and Wii, Im guessing everything is going to stay the same (well maybe not Gears, but idk, thats up to our Xbox guys) but I am expecting some sort of change from the PS3 lineup (if our new VP stick with the current system of 2 games per system). Why? Because Street Fighter IV got the second lowest attendance next to Gears 2 (which is why I say maybe to the Xbox guys). Honestly, this game is ok but in my opinion, its not a good tournament game. Why? Because some of the gameplay in the game is broken and unfair to the point thats its just outrageous. Point 1

- The characters ARE NOT, I REPEAT ARE NOT BALANCED AT ALL. Some characters have a clear advantage over others like KEN, SAGAT, RYU, ZANGIEF, and BALROG. Their moves give them clear advantages over everyone else and they can easily win by spamming (Hadoken anyone?? lol)

- The Ultra system is broken and stupid. You could be damn close to victory, maybe 2 hits away and you have half your life. One Ultra hit from many of the characters and it is about even health from there. Now I see how some of you would think "Hey Kaz, its not always guaranteed, you can block that"! Well idk if you guys have been watching the matches at the LANs but thier are frames in EVERYONEs standup animation that allow them to get hit by almost every Ultra (including Akuma's, which is hella damaging). Ive tested this many times with many different people back at West, and Im telling you, this is the breaking point for me for this game

Now dont get me wrong, Ill play this game for freeplay if people are playing it, no problem, cause well, to me, its a party type game. But a tournament game? No way. I believe we should think about replacing this with something else, like mortal Kombat vs DCU. Now I know what you all are thinking, its just some gimmicky game Midway cooked up to try to sell to people. Well even if that is true, its a good fighting game none the less.

- Their characters are far more balanced than SFIV
- The combo system makes since and isnt broken
- And the game rewards people who are skilled at it and have played it and mastered the fighting system (it has a hidden side of everyone's special moves like Soul Caliburs Just Frame moves, meaning the moves properties change and can do things like extend combos.

Now despite the fact that I know some of you, or hell maybe even most of you will not agree with me, I feel that this had to be said. I think MK vs DCU would make for a much more entertaining and fun tournament than SFIV. I mean come on, if any of you dont find the following link to be boring and dull, shoot me!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Posted Image

#2 Derrick LeBrocq

Derrick LeBrocq

Gaming Club Adviser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

MK vs DCU is ace...I have it for the 360...because I only buy single player games for my PS3 (ASIDE from exclusives..like Killzone 2, and the Resistance games.)

I'm always Lui Kang..simply cause of the KAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA you hear from the Bicycle Kick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

I dont disagree that MKvsDC would make a better tourn. but it doesnt change the fact that they both suck ...pimpin
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

u know what Josh, YOU SUCK U CLUB DOUCHEBAG! lol j/k
Posted Image

#5 Derrick LeBrocq

Derrick LeBrocq

Gaming Club Adviser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

u know what Josh, YOU SUCK

This. lol.

Seriously though...it doesn't suck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

oh I agree, its VERY well balanced. Ill tell ya though, Id like to see Tekken 6 become a tournament when it comes out, its going to be bad ass!
Posted Image

#7 lootool

lootool

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

i mos def did not read and i here by sae..NO! ! ! Loot. (LUL())
Posted Image

#8 Oh Malley

Oh Malley

Boss Battle Podcast Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

Honestly, I think the entirely game lineup for all systems need to be re-examined. Look at what new games are coming out and appropriate them according to the LAN dates. Honestly, try to vary the games up a bit and schedule them accordingly so we're not watching the same thing for 6+ hours straight. PCs balanced it out very well by changing game-styles (even though all their games were within the same genre).

My last LAN as a Western student was by far my best one because the PCs laid out their games very well, it was fun, and it kept a good pace. Consoles tend to drag on.. and then get rushed.

#9 Eyce

Eyce

Nintendo Wii Council Leader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:33 AM

I was originally going to post something on-topic and make a small comment related to Oh Malley's post at the bottom, but that grew into a whole new topic about improving the way we run Consoles at the LAN. See here - http://www.wcugaming...showtopic=12093

Anyway, SF4 is just overall boring to play and watch. Promotes turtling and projectile spamming too much. I don't even like the Tekken series, but I think it'd be more fun watching people get juggled like balloon animals than HADOUKENHADOUKENHADOUKEN(gayframed Ultra)HADOUKEN, etc.

MKvDC would be a better choice than SF4 in some ways, but I still don't like the game. That Rage mechanic is fucking stupid. A bar that fills up when you attack, regardless of whether you hit or not, that allows you to attack more without worry of being flinched out of anything once you activate it. Translation: "Spam some shit, then activate your spam meter so you can spam some more shit safely."
Posted Image

#10 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

I was originally going to post something on-topic and make a small comment related to Oh Malley's post at the bottom, but that grew into a whole new topic about improving the way we run Consoles at the LAN. See here - http://www.wcugaming...showtopic=12093

Anyway, SF4 is just overall boring to play and watch. Promotes turtling and projectile spamming too much. I don't even like the Tekken series, but I think it'd be more fun watching people get juggled like balloon animals than HADOUKENHADOUKENHADOUKEN(gayframed Ultra)HADOUKEN, etc.

MKvDC would be a better choice than SF4 in some ways, but I still don't like the game. That Rage mechanic is fucking stupid. A bar that fills up when you attack, regardless of whether you hit or not, that allows you to attack more without worry of being flinched out of anything once you activate it. Translation: "Spam some shit, then activate your spam meter so you can spam some more shit safely."

Yea, I agree with u on the rage system, it is a little unfair but hey, its easy to avoid someone when they activate it (just jump away). And as far as Tekken goes, I think they may have balanced out that juggling issue. They added a new juggling system but at the same time they have increased the amount of HP for every character so getting juggled to death shouldnt be as much of a problem in Tekken 6. And honestly, I dont know how long its been since you played the Tekken series John but the juggles actually dont take off that much damage (at least they didnt in Tekken 5). They really have balanced out the characters in the series, the only person that has really been tweak alot damage wise to balance him out is Brayn Fury and he's been nurfed to the point that he isnt unfair anymore. You guys should give Tekken 6 a chance, its going to be the most balanced and fun Tekken yet (and you guys are going to have to listen to me obsess over it).
Posted Image

#11 Eyce

Eyce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:27 PM

Well I never thought the Tekken juggles were unfair exactly, just mildly funny and out of place in a hand-to-hand fighting game. I think I told you my history with Tekken before too. I played Tekken 1 on Playstation due to having no other fighting games for it, and because Paul had Guile's hair+2. Then a few years later a friend in high school invited me over to showed me Tekken 3 or 4, can't remember which. I tried it and mentioned how it felt exactly like playing Tekken 1, then I showed him DoA 3. We never went back to playing Tekken after that.

Then last year you insisted on showing me Tekken 5, and I just laughed on the inside because they still hadn't changed anything noticeable about the game. I'll still give Tekken 6 a try if you get it, because I don't think it's a BAD game. It's just that the changes they've made over the years (to my untrained eyes) seem to be nothing but more characters and better graphics. Kinda what they did with SF4, except they added gay shit like Focus attacks/cancelling and called it an improvement.
Posted Image

#12 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

lol yea, to be fair they havent changed much about the basic game mechanics since Tekken 3 besides adding new moves and characters. The new characters have their own distinct fighting style (thank god) and Tekken 6 is going to have 40 characters, the largest roster in a Tekken game to date (thats 40 people with distinct fighting styles except maybe Christie and Eddy). They are adding a few new game mechanics this time around (a new juggling system and some new mechanic like the rage system from MK vs DC but it only happens when a character is VERY low on health). Dont get me wrong John, I am excited about Tekken 6 (and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger), but I will ALWAYS be a Soul Calibur junkie. lol.
Posted Image

#13 Eyce

Eyce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Oh of course. I expect SC4 to remain our most popular fighter for quite a while. I knew it was deep, but even I didn't know how deep it was until I payed attention and read some stuff on 8WR over the summer. Just to give you an idea, I now seriously play Asta, Nightmare, Hilde, Setsuka, Vader, Yun Seung, Sophitia (for the rage), and Rock. I should have played more with you last semester instead of dicking around in Rock Band so much.

...and some new mechanic like the rage system from MK vs DC but it only happens when a character is VERY low on health).

This could be a much better implimented feature than Rage was, since it's a last ditch effort in a fight. I'll wait and see how it is.
Posted Image

#14 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

YES THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR! Ive been practicing with Voldo and Cervantes alot. Im also trying to push my Ivy to her limits, I want that ho to be unstoppable lol!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users