47 replies to this topic

#41 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

I stopped reading like half way through Master P's last long post because I got tired of reading. I really hate I missed the meeting. Once I found out there was a gaming group here at WCU, I badly wanted to join as I am very big on gaming. Currently the only game I own that WCU plays is CSS. I pretty much play nothing but CSS. If CSS were to be cut from the gaming list (Especially at the LAN's) I would not attend. I know that I don't matter much as I am probably one of the many WCU gamers here, but I'm just trying to give my input.

Also, as a former NC Gaming staff member and seeing many successful LAN parties (and some other not-so-successful ones), CSS played a major role in all of them. Killing Floor is also another fun game that seemed to popular. As for the console side, COD 4 and Halo 3 were the big hits and that is what most of the players came for.

As for the admins getting the ability to change maps, I've seen this work very successfully. The admin would start a map vote and if the majority said yes, then a random map vote would start. Or everyone would RTV or complain to an admin enough and he would just change it. I've never seen this ability get abused.

I don't know how valuable my input was but it is here for your(plural) discretion.

thank you very much for your input!!
Posted Image

#42 Poseidon

Poseidon

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

You're very welcome.
Poseidon
fishgaming

#43 FTE Kaz-Ka

FTE Kaz-Ka

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Just as a little heads up, I turned in the list of people allowed in the Gming Club Office so if any of my original 4 that volunteered to help run the office is allowed in there now, just give them you name at the desk and they will let you in. Also, If any of you would like to be added to the list, send me a PM and Ill add you.
Posted Image

#44 BJWanlund

BJWanlund

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Michael Huffman encouraged those in attendance (especially the freshmen) to attend the Saturday Mini-LANs at Central Drive Hall.

Speaking of those, when exactly are these Saturday Mini-LANs (i.e. are they at 5pm, do they start in the afternoon, etc.), and what is the location this week?

BJ

#45 Thor

Thor

President

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

They are always held in central to my knowledge, as for directions coming from the McKee/BB&T corner take a left at the byrd alumni house then a right, head down that walkway and look for a room on the left that has the door propped open by a chair. Im sure kazka could give much better directions though :P
"Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time."

#46 BJWanlund

BJWanlund

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Well, Kaz-Ka told me yesterday (or the day before) that he couldn't get the multipurpose room for some weird reason, so that was my question.

And yes, I do know where Central is. I actually have lived there 2 summers in a row.

BJ

#47 Kappamerc

Kappamerc

Troll

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:18 AM

Some advice on the PC side of things,

Some care needs to be given to the PC side game servers. Unlike the Consoles, servers for PC games actually have to be monitored regularly and a community has to be created over time for whatever game one is trying to host.

Several of the people who gave care to those servers have graduated and other people must be willing to put the time in to research and be creative for our gaming servers. It simply takes work and effort to host a successful PC game server. This includes learning how to configure the server, finding people to play on it, creating a community within that server, finding reliable internal and external admins to help keep the server interesting. If you are in charge of a server, make sure you are putting time and effort into these things or it is pointless for us to have the server. The best way to populate a server, I've discovered, is to play on other servers, make random friends and tell them, "Hey, I've got this server I'm working on and need to populate it, got any friends that would want to join?" Include admin for those you trust and more than -just you- will be trying to get the server off the ground.

Left 4 Dead needs more than one server (assuming the other one is full often).

The only way to have a successful server is to have at least one person who cares enough to find out what other 'popular' servers do, and imitate it OR do something original that attracts people. Once the server is setup, find people to play on it. As people play they will invite their friends and eventually it'll be full often.

For a LAN there are many games that can be hosted, unfortunately given the -time- allocated to our LANs there is a need for quick paced games which typically come in the form of shooters. The problem with -regular- RTS games is that they typically require a large amount of time to have a successful tournament. This leads to reducing the amount of players available for any PC tournament hosted on top of that RTS tournament (since is is likely the tournament will last a significant amount of time).

Squad based RTS games that aren't based on building a base (such as DOW2 and World in Conflict) lend themselves nicely to tournament play due to their quick pace (for DOW2 there should be concern for the fact that Windows Live could constantly disconnect people on the same network, though not likely).

:ph34r:
Posted Image

#48 Kappamerc

Kappamerc

Troll

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

Oh and Hai Gais.

I wanted to troll but everything I would troll was already said seriously by someone else <(-_-<).

:ph34r: - The Octopus will eat you at level 3.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users