99 replies to this topic

#41 MajorMajorMajor

MajorMajorMajor

Hak Foo

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6426 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

Starcraft will be win because you can install in literally 10 mintues, use only 1 key for 100 people, and RTS which is awesome.

Yeah see we try to stay legit...

that is the biggest lie ever masterp and you know it lol.

I mean we've pirated before but none of those companies really care a whole lot.

Blizzard rapes people for even thinking about pirating.

It's Blizzards fault for not requiring different keys per game... i think half of vatech uses one key.

FDR was a colossal dumbass

#42 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

3 LANs will not work well, you need to focus on getting attendance up before you start expanding.

good point

Multiple rooms will work but as anyone that's been to an ASU event can tell you it's a serious pain for the players. If at all possible, this should be avoided.

Eh, it was but it wasn't. To raise a huge advantage, multiple rooms allowed for more play in the noise levels of individual games without ruining it for others. As a disadvantage, it made it somewhat complicated to track and announce the start of tournaments. However, once used to it, it was truly quite nice.

Also, cross-room networking between consoles will not be possible.

*will be a logistical nightmare. "not be possible" assumes that you don't have some good lengths of network cable and routers/switches to relay between rooms, and permission to run them. I've seen smaller inter-room dorm competitions work.

Multiple rooms will work but as anyone that's been to an ASU event can tell you it's a serious pain for the players. If at all possible, this should be avoided. Also, cross-room networking between consoles will not be possible.

You can fit a suprisingly large number of people in the multipurpose room.

I can back this up. I've been to some MP room LANs. they were somewhat tight, but I had a hella lot of fun then.

I mean this club is for the WCU students, if this is what they want to play, let them play it.

I consider these great words of wisdom, just saying.

College Undergrad | Networking Technology / Associate's in Science dual major
Associate's in Science and Associate's in Art dual major graduate, Haywood Community College, Spring 2010, summa cum laude
Associate in Applied Science in Forest Management Technology, Haywood Community College, Fall 2010 - (Spring 2012)

#43 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Also, cross-room networking between consoles will not be possible.

*will be a logistical nightmare. "not be possible" assumes that you don't have some good lengths of network cable and routers/switches to relay between rooms, and permission to run them. I've seen smaller inter-room dorm competitions work.

Not possible as in networking will not make half the entire UC 2nd floor gaming-capable for ethernet cables plugged into the wall, not possible as in we don't have long enough cables to run between the rooms, not possible as in we don't have enough switches for more than 3 rooms, and not possible as in we can't run cables in the hallways.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#44 Lemm

Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

I seriously don't get why no css.... unless you have the LAN planned to be on another bad date, it will get more attendance than the rest of the pc games
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#45 rainefardreamer

rainefardreamer

Rainey Raine Raine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1523 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

I seriously don't get why no css.... unless you have the LAN planned to be on another bad date, it will get more attendance than the rest of the pc games

cs:s and cod4 i think are pro games that should be brought in

cs:s cause pretty much everyone ever has either played cs1.6 or cs:s and it's usually quick and fun

cod4 cause it's fucking awesome and like cs it is relatively quick to run
{- Umbrella Raine protected MajorMajorMajor
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

Yeah I like that one of the reasons they don't like to play CS/CSS is because not many people have gaming computers... then they vote in left4dead2.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#47 melatonin

melatonin

(Evil) Secretary

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

In all honesty, CS is played much around here simply because it is unpopular.

inb4 2009.4 lan attendence: when the main lifeforce of a game all live hours away from the campus, maybe they should try to hold their own events closer to them so they have more control over the game and don't have to drive as much.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wii Council Leader
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT

Secretary

Tunnel Snakes Rule!

#48 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

inb4 2009.4 lan attendence: when the main lifeforce of a game all live hours away from the campus, maybe they should try to hold their own events closer to them so they have more control over the game and don't have to drive as much.

encourage members to leave and start their own community.... real good idea :blink:
Posted Image

#49 melatonin

melatonin

(Evil) Secretary

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

encourage members to leave and start their own community.... real good idea :blink:

ALL GAMES DIE IN POPULARITY.

Eventually, everything from CSS to Halo 3 will stop being played.

When this happens, the club find new games.

When the club finds new games, what will you do?

I'm not encouraging people to leave. I'm saying the club supports the most popular games. When we stop supporting a game, and a small, small minority wishes to continue to play it, they have two options:
(1) Organize a group to play with.
(2) Bolster the popularity of the game, likely done through option (1), and try to reintroduce it to the club.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wii Council Leader
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT

Secretary

Tunnel Snakes Rule!

#50 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with you getting new games, the problem is that your "new games" aren't really PC games. If you'd have voted in MW2 or some other new and popular game you'd have gotten significantly less complaints about it.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#51 melatonin

melatonin

(Evil) Secretary

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with you getting new games, the problem is that your "new games" aren't really PC games. If you'd have voted in MW2 or some other new and popular game you'd have gotten significantly less complaints about it.

Excuse me? Modern Warfare 2 was voted in.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wii Council Leader
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT

Secretary

Tunnel Snakes Rule!

#52 Asystole

Asystole

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Guilty Gear 15
Team Fortress 2 15
Left 4 Dead 2 10
Starcraft 9
CounterStrike: Source 8
Medievil 2 6
Stepmania 3
Parties Breaker 3

Oh yeah?

#53 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

On PC?
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#54 Asystole

Asystole

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

I beat you Master P

#55 melatonin

melatonin

(Evil) Secretary

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Modern Warfare 2 was voted in.

"Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War 2 will be hosted at LAN 2010.2."

No need to put it on PC, we have it for 360.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wii Council Leader
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT

Secretary

Tunnel Snakes Rule!

#56 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

We're talking about PC games here. A CoD PC gamer won't play it on console and vice versa. It's not like going from PS3 to XBOX, a PC gamer literally can't aim at all on a console. And by can't aim I mean I got laughed at when I went to NCSU's ODST launch party. If I wasn't a club officer I wouldn't have even gone but meh. I'll tear your ass up on either of the PC Halos but on console I can't hit shit. That's just how it works.

Besides, last time we did MW1 on PC and 360 at the same LAN both were successful. Highly, actually.

You dodged the point I was making. The claim is that PC gaming on campus is evolving yet from the games that are being voted in it's more like taking a decade step backwards, SC instead of WC3 and GGear instead of CSS. I mean if you want to push for different games that's one thing but don't kid yourself into thinking the games selected are a step forward and don't pretend you've made the best game decision when it comes to attracting the campus PC community to the events.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#57 melatonin

melatonin

(Evil) Secretary

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

We're talking about PC games here. A CoD PC gamer won't play it on console and vice versa. It's not like going from PS3 to XBOX, a PC gamer literally can't aim at all on a console. And by can't aim I mean I got laughed at when I went to NCSU's ODST launch party. If I wasn't a club officer I wouldn't have even gone but meh. I'll tear your ass up on either of the PC Halos but on console I can't hit shit. That's just how it works.

Besides, last time we did MW1 on PC and 360 at the same LAN both were successful. Highly, actually.

You dodged the point I was making. The claim is that PC gaming on campus is evolving yet from the games that are being voted in it's more like taking a decade step backwards, SC instead of WC3 and GGear instead of CSS. I mean if you want to push for different games that's one thing but don't kid yourself into thinking the games selected are a step forward and don't pretend you've made the best game decision when it comes to attracting the campus PC community to the events.

SC and GG are actually not a step back when you consider the causes of them being voted in.

Guilty Gear is the spiritual predecessor to BlazBlue, and BlazBlue's popularity on campus has been huge, allowing Guilty Gear to finally get it's foot in the door.

Starcraft 2 is due for release sometime this year, and there is a lot of hype for it. I know a lot of people who voted for Starcraft so they can be warmed up and ready for the sequel.

Please stop assuming that games like GG and SC are being voted in as jokes and understand that there are reasons people vote for what they do.

We're talking about PC games here.

We're not. You are. If people want MW2 on the PC (or any other game for that matter), they can come to the meetings and vote for it.

Edited by Liquid, 03 March 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wii Council Leader
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT

Secretary

Tunnel Snakes Rule!

#58 rainefardreamer

rainefardreamer

Rainey Raine Raine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1523 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

Starcraft 2 is due for release sometime this year

if by this year you mean whenever blizzard actually gets off their asses, last i checked diablo 2s 1.13 was incredibly delayed and diablo 3s release was delayed too

a PC gamer literally can't aim at all on a console, this statement is SO TRUE it hurts. When i picked up mw2 on xbox cause i figured it would be better than turning all the stuff down to run it on my machine. I had to spend many an hour building up that skill. This coming from a guy who would run around in Cod4 with shotgun and deagle and topfrag always, unless the alcohol threshold had been breached.

cs:s plays fast, everyone knows it, everyone can run it. i understand it may not be as popular as others but in terms of running a competition it is pretty easy. Since the times i've played the teams have both been pretty full, balance never really seemed a big problem. then you pick the top 3 from each or whatever and then move on. in 1hour at most, shorter if you wanted. you'd have a winner.

l4d is fun, l4d2 i assume is the same. L4d however requires trust in your teamates and co-ordinated attacks, balancing this is A LOT harder than cs:s. Honestly i think l4d just doesn't work unless you bring in your teams beforehand, which of course leads to team awesomes raping or whatever, but that way you would have solid groups. Cause even if you have only 2 people on your team that know each other, they will be way better than 4 strangers. tf2 gets close to this, but not quite

when i've gone, i've gone mostly to play cs:s, cod4 and tf2(and only 70% on the tf2) so i guess i won't really be going unless something changes or there are other draws, people that i know. also starcraft love makes me want to punch people in the face, but that's my problem
{- Umbrella Raine protected MajorMajorMajor
Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

We're not. You are. If people want MW2 on the PC (or any other game for that matter), they can come to the meetings and vote for it.

I don't know about you but I'm not about to drive 2 hours to a meeting that's maybe an hour long when I only have 2 days notice just to MAYBE get a word in. That's why we used to allow IRC..
Posted Image

#60 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

The discussion was ENTIRELY about the PC and then you derail it to console. WE, as in the people having this discussion, are discussing PC. Based on the content of your post, so are you.

I mean it's nice that guilty gear (a console/arcade game) was the predecessor to blazblue (a console/arcade game) but what does that have to do with PCs? Blazblue isn't even out on PC yet and will never be released in this country on PC. The next Blazblue game won't even be released on PC at all. From the outsiders prospective what this looks like is that you have PS3 players that love fighter games and are using any method available to them to fit in more.

Tell you what, let's experiement. Schedule blazblue and guilty gear to occur at the same time. If PC gamers are really a driving force behind it then it'll still do fine, if console gamers are the one's playing it'll do poorly.

Starcraft 2 won't be released in 2010, if it is it'll be Thanksgiving or Christmas. Any "hype" or "warming up" is entirely a smoke screen for something else. Either that or you guys on campus are blind to how Blizzard works with release dates. They're almost as bad as Valve. Scratch that, just looked at the dates, Blizzard is every bit as bad as Valve when it comes to release dates and patching.

I never said guilty gear was a joke vote, starcraft is, but GG was a well thought out and planned maneuver for consoles to encroach back on the PCs. It's not like they haven't done it before with other games, which also did well to begin with, but all later died hard.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users