4 replies to this topic

#1 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I just knew they were going to set the third game in a different location. I'm optimistic over this game, though a bit cautious. See, I was a little dissapointed in Bioshock 2. My main complaint was that everything was too similar to the first game. Maybe this change of setting is exactly what the series needed. Columbia is gorgeous, interesting, and full of atmosphere, exactly like Rapture was in the first game. From what I gather, Columbia is like a precurser to Rapture. They are both cities that exist in a place where cities are not suposed to, which cut ties with the outside world and become failed utopias. Columbia even has its own Big Daddy, or something like it.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#2 MajorMajorMajor

MajorMajorMajor

Hak Foo

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6426 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

I'm sorry, but that seemed awful cartoonish. I kept thinking of the movie Up rather than a Bioshock game. Sys-shock and Bioshock each were set in a dark environment which made the atmosphere. That was literally set IN the atmosphere and was pretty bright. That alone makes me pretty skeptical to how successful it will be...

BUT, the fact that they are carrying the storyline out of Rapture and trying something new could be the shock to the heart this series needs cause Bioshock 2 was a disappointment. The only thing I hope they keep are they fucking lunatics with forks for hands running around chasing me.... that was pretty scary at times. (splicers i kno STFU WHORES)

I did find it interesting that the city was all Americanized, where in Rapture they were pretty clear to say "Fuck America, this is Rapture".

FDR was a colossal dumbass

#3 newrayz

newrayz

Tu Madre

• Server Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

If they had a segment with Sander Cohen in Bioshock 2 the game would have been 10 times better.

I'll play the third installment just to see where they take us and hopefully it'll be good.
CLEAN FOO

#4 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

Don't get me wrong. Bioshock 2 was a really good game, but it felt more like an expansion pack than an actual sequel. It felt lacking compared to the genius of the first game. As for the new game's trailer, I didn't find it cartoony or anything like that. It got me really excited. I like that Irrational Games is trying something totally different. After all, my main complain with Bioshock 2 was that it was too similar to the original and I was hoping for a new setting. I am hopeful that Bioshock Infinite will feel as fresh as the original.

From the trailer, I take it that Columbia will have a very different atmosphere than Rapture, but that's a good thing and it still looks fascinating. I mean, it's kind of like the 1892 World's Fair, turned into an airborne city. That's pretty unusual. Just from the trailer, the atmosphere I got from the city was a very serene, heavenly feel totally different from Rapture, but at the same time it retained the isolated feel of the original setting. Also, it seems to me that with each game, the developers are taking a different ideology, then radicalizing it to the point that it becomes horrible. First it was capitalism, then communism, now American exceptionalism. The message i'm getting is that any budding society, based only upon one idea is destined to fail quickly.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#5 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Badassery:

There is a little bit of argument on the internet about whether or not this trailer means the game is going to be a rail shooter. My feeling is No, it is not. The reason the main character seems to be doing everything perfectly is because it is a trailer. That's how trailer's work; they are heavily idealized. I truly doubt the next Bioshock is a rail shooter. As for the environment, I get the feeling that, while Rapture was a city long in decline, Columbia is just beginning to fall apart. Very interesting. Also, what do you know, Elizabeth is a bit of a badass. Oh, and such lovely hair.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users