Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have been looking into getting a PS3.. I was wondering

1. How good the Blu-Ray player is?
2. Do you use it as your primary Blu-Ray player?
3. Does the $25 remote work well for it?

4.. should I wait until new consoles come out?
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#2 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

1. It is one of the best since it gets firmware updates .....and FYI with the firmware update 3.50 the PS3 blue ray player is now a 3D blue ray player.
2. YES
3. It works well but I dont prefer it since I i know the button config of the ps3 controller better than the remote. Also the remote requires batteries as the controller does not.

Edited by josrocket, 02 December 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

If you're primary use is watching blu-ray movies you can get something with many of the same features for 1/3 the price of a PS3. Sony, LG, and Samsung all make nice BD players and they'll be around $100 this time of year. I got my LG this time last year for $125 and it streams netflix.

If you're actually interested in PS3 games then it seems like a no brainer.

I wouldn't worry about 3D capability. It flopped in the 50s and 80s and many experts are predicting it won't fair any better this time either. What you can do is play on the stupidity of retailers and pick up the non-3d last gen, but still really nice, HDTVs for dirt cheap. Last weekend Walmart had a last-gen samsung 55" 240hz for $1300. The only difference between it and the current model was 3D capability, and a $1200 higher price tag.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#4 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Thanks Jsrocket and Kip. I would like to get it for the games too, I was just trying to see if I should go ahead and buy a Blu-Ray player now or see if it would make more sense to get a 360 and a blu ray player..

I know the psnetwork or w/e it's called is free right? And 360 costs money.. well right now I don't have a decent internet connection so that really doesn't matter. My gf's parents just bought a ps3 with move and I played it and it blows the wii away.. I WANTZ IT.. but i don wanna spend 400 dollars. Maybe if I get decent job..

I have an interview tomorrow! Wish me luck so I can get a ps3!
Posted Image

#5 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Well of course the Move is better, Sony had 4 years to copy and refine the concept. <_<

If it were me, I'd wait until after Christmas and see if you can pick up a bluray player for dirt cheap. If you get a PS3 later you can ebay or craigslist it and won't really be out much. You might also try craigslist NOW, some people might be trying to sell stuff to buy presents.

Just out of curiosity, have you used one of the Wii motion plus controllers? From what I've read the motion plus actually puts the wiimote on par with the move in terms of on-screen accuracy. It still can't beat the move though because of the older infra-red based system. It's like putting a Dodge Viper engine in a Honda Civic, it may be impressive but it can't beat an actual Viper.

Sort of off topic, I can't really understand the marketing strategy behind the Move/Kinect. Instead of trying to make a new console, maybe with motion built in, they've seemed to focus almost entirely on bringing their consoles up to where nintendo was 4 years ago. Yeah it's nice that they made a better product, but their goals seem move profit-driven than consumer-driven. Halo Reach and Uncharted 2 both are reported by developers to be the max of where the systems can go and while that's cool it's pretty disappointing that those systems are fully maxed out before the successors even begin full scale development. Remember, the SNES was never maxed out even after the release of the N64.

Btw, good luck with the interview.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#6 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

I have motion plus for the Wii and ps move is a lot better.. the wii still depends on the led lights for it's orientation.

I played Ping Pong for the PS3 and I own the wii sports resort (ping pong).. I consider these both more like concept games than full games.. I've played a lot of ping pong IRL and i've noticed that the ps move works a lot better. It is able to better mimic your movements.. I guess it could just be a flaw in the Wii game.. but it seemed better with the other sports as well.

In regards to your off-topic statement:
I could be wrong but I don't think there is a game that has ever utilized all 9 cores on the ps3. I know I wouldn't want to program for anything like that!

thx for the luck
Posted Image

#7 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

just fyi kip, the wii was already maxed out before it was released...
Posted Image

#8 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

I cant believe i got on this shitty site and made a post but,

Mitch once again your ignorance makes you look like a fool and im sick of it, just shut up. Even on day one the Wii was never revolutionary nor was it the first to use any of the technology it uses. The same engineers that designed the move had the initial design since before 2002. There is a video of the very same engineer presenting his work at an engineering convention in 2002 but i cant find it...here is a tech demo from 2003 for the same device from that very engineer.

Here is an written article from 2003 on it:

http://www.highbeam....1-87510083.html

The PS move is just a rehashing of this motion technology that didnt surface in a product because the ps2 didnt have the processing power to do this kind of video processing and game video processing at the same time.

The wii motion plus copies the ps3 sixaxis controler if you want to get techincal about it. The wii mote only did x y and z acceleration. The wii motion plus just added pitch, yaw, and roll to the controller..uh oh 6 axis

I dont even need to explain why the Move works better than a wiimote. You dont have to be an engineer to understand that, you just have to use your brain, but i will explain it mitch if you still dont get it.

The wiimote with wiimotion plus is a ps3 controller that uses infarred sensor bar to detect location which is the only thing that the ps3 controller lacks.

The wii is marketed toward the low income, young and apparently now the stupid.

Why dont you just go be alone with your aneros.

I will have to disagree with you on the 3D at this day in age. The new tv frequency syncing stereoscopic 3D will prob. not be going anywhere since it is easy to implement into any movie made. Also, TV wise, the chip that allows for 3D technology to work is such a inexpensive implementation that soon it will be in every tv that comes out. They are just milking it like they do every other new technology. Also, the 3D blue rays are not the only thing that is being backed but also the community that values 3D games. FYI all new PS3 exclusives are ALL in 3D and even some cross platforms like Batman Arkam Asy, Burnout, CoD etc. Its still early but I dont blame you if you disagree. But consumer electronics are my specialty and Im 90% sure that I will be right.

But your right I forgot to mention that if you dont have any intention of playing games then get a cheep blueray player but I mentioned the 3D blueray functionality as an obvious example of how it's up to date. Dont get the xbox and a cheap bluray. That would be a poor investment to make in both cases if you did that. Just get the cheap blueray if money is an issue.

Edited by josrocket, 02 December 2010 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

In regards to your off-topic statement:
I could be wrong but I don't think there is a game that has ever utilized all 9 cores on the ps3. I know I wouldn't want to program for anything like that!

thx for the luck

Yes they have even in some of the first titles but in digital signal processing its not as simple as that. Its about efficiency in computational methods, after all it's a parallel processing architecture. What im saying is if they wanted they could calculate the physics for every nail in a exploding nail bomb but its up to them to apply the calculations to be done simultaneously using the number crunching cores. This parallel processing architecture makes this possible since an explosion like that appears to happen within an instant. This complex parallel processing of calculations can be done but they can also do the easy thing and just do a simple calculation that checks to see if an opponent is in a blast radius and if so, they die or take some damage. (In a nut shell) Another simple example is buffering to eliminate load times or reduce them. They just tell the media that they used all the processing power just to impress the typical gaming community to make it sound like its one hell of a game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Why is it that every thread you post in becomes a flame fest? All I said was that they were late to market it. I guess you missed where I said the move was better (?)

No one here is attacking the playstation and no one wants to read your fanboy and blind rage rants so if you can't carry on a civil conversation without breaking down just go on back to your boycott. It's shit like what you just posted that ran everyone off to begin with and if you look around you'll notice it hasn't happened while you've been gone.

Mitch once again your ignorance makes you look like a fool and im sick of it, just shut up. Even on day one the Wii was never revolutionary nor was it the first to use any of the technology it uses. The same engineers that designed the move had the initial design since before 2002. There is a video of the very same engineer presenting his work at an engineering convention in 2002 but i cant find it...here is a tech demo from 2003 for the same device from that very engineer.

Here is an written article from 2003 on it:

http://www.highbeam....1-87510083.html

The PS move is just a rehashing of this motion technology that didnt surface in a product because the ps2 didnt have the processing power to do this kind of video processing and game video processing at the same time.

It's interesting you'd bring up the EyeToy because it actually was released on the PS2 and never really took off. It's failure to take off had nothing to do with processing power and everything to do with it just not being a useful accessory. It ended up with about as many games as the Virtual Boy. The Move simply takes this technology and adds the wand interaction. So if what you say is true and they had this back in 2002, why did they wait until now to release it? Had they released it with the PS3, the Wii would have long since been dead and so would the XBOX360. What you imply is that this decision was either a tremendous engineering oversight or a colossal marketing mistake. Making money now is great but putting competitors out of business during early product introduction would be even better.

The wii motion plus copies the ps3 sixaxis controler if you want to get techincal about it. The wii mote only did x y and z acceleration. The wii motion plus just added pitch, yaw, and roll to the controller..uh oh 6 axis

I'm pretty sure I know more about tait-bryan angles than you do but sure keep assuming you're the only one here that knows how this stuff works. Btw, I'll save you the google time, tait-bryan is what the six-axis implementation of Euler angles is called. I guess if you want to get technical, both systems stole the idea from a 300 year old dead guy.

I dont even need to explain why the Move works better than a wiimote. You dont have to be an engineer to understand that, you just have to use your brain

The wiimote with wiimotion... uses infarred sensor bar to detect location which is the only thing that the ps3 controller lacks.

I know, I said that too. I actually praised the Move and said the wii could never reach it's level of accuracy. I guess you missed that part...

I will have to disagree with you on the 3D at this day in age. The new tv frequency syncing stereoscopic 3D will prob. not be going anywhere since it is easy to implement into any movie made. Also, TV wise, the chip that allows for 3D technology to work is such a inexpensive implementation that soon it will be in every tv that comes out. They are just milking it like they do every other new technology. Also, the 3D blue rays are not the only thing that is being backed but also the community that values 3D games. FYI all new PS3 exclusives are ALL in 3D and even some cross platforms like Batman Arkam Asy, Burnout, CoD etc. Its still early but I dont blame you if you disagree. But consumer electronics are my specialty and Im 90% sure that I will be right.

Hey man, I'm just going by what the experts say. Back in the early 50s every movie shown in theaters was in 3D. They tried it again in the 80s and early 90s but in all cases it ultimately flopped. The sticking point back then was that the 3D effect could not be seen by those with eye defects or color blindness and it was too difficult to keep the two movie reels in perfect sync. The required intermission was also unwelcome. The kicker this time is the eyestrain, motion sickness, or headache that roughly 20% of people get while watching. The problem is a fundamental flaw in the polarization method to creating the 3D effect. The eyes being presented with different images isn't a problem, the problem is that the 3D effect is created by alternating the frames between eyes at 144 FPS. Every .007th of a second one eye sees an updated image while the other sees the old. It creates a better 3D image than the old method but the brain just wasn't meant to interpret data that way.

3D won't take off until you don't have to use glasses and cheap polarization effects to do it. The next big thing is autostereoscopic 3D, which doesn't require glasses or alternating frames. The Nintendo 3DS is the first major product to use this.

They just tell the media that they used all the processing power just to impress the typical gaming community to make it sound like its one hell of a game.

That makes sense but how do you know they aren't maxing it out? I mean unless it has the equivalent of a task manager you'd never really know. The developer said they specifically tried to have every core running at 100% as much as possible but he also said they could have gotten more power out of it if they had better optimized their code. In a way yes, it's only artificially maxed out but realistically the more time spent on code optimization the longer the development time and the more it costs to develop the game.

Consoles are typically much more powerful than consumers ever realize but it requires that games be perfectly optimized. Perfect example of this is in wii homebrew, they got the Freespace 2 flight sim engine to run on the wii. The PC requirements called for 10x the amount of video memory that the wii has but by heavily optimizing the code and changing the way textures are stored and called, the video memory required was cut to well within the wii's specs.

If the PS3 homebrewers tried to squeeze every ounce of processing power out of the system, like the the Wii homebrews are almost required to do, I can't imagine how powerful a console you guys would have.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#11 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

You know what fuck this shit. I only got on to help Lemm out, and im not going to discuss the gaming industry or Euler's proofs with you ...Its not worth my time since you will always disagree with something anyone says.....Im not going to continue this. I got to finish my MS thesis and I need to focus and not be ranting on here, so end this and dont post.

Im going back to what I and the rest of the students do. Not get on this shitty site.

Edited by josrocket, 03 December 2010 - 03:40 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

;alsdkfj

Edited by josrocket, 03 December 2010 - 02:44 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

You know what fuck this shit. I only got on to help Lemm out, and im not going to discuss the gaming industry or Euler's proofs with you ...Its not worth my time since you will always disagree with something anyone says.....Im not going to continue this. I got to finish my MS thesis and I need to focus and not be ranting on here, so end this and dont post.

Im going back to what I and the rest of the students do. Not get on this shitty site.

Hey man you started it. You have no one to blame for that ranting but yourself. No one baited, asked for, or wanted you to do it. Not only did I agree with you but I did it on 3 seperate points. It's time to come up with a new one liner.

Now back to the topic:

You can get an XBOX360 and a cheap bluray for the price of a PS3 w/o Move but it's not really worth it. To get a decent version of the XBOX you have to spend a good deal more and, like you said, pay for online play. A year ago I'd have said go that route but this late in the game I'm just not sure the XBOX is worth getting, not if you also plan on getting a bluray player. Some of the newer XBOX games aren't fully compatible with the intro-XBOX and while you can install your own HDD it's a bit of a pain.

It's a tough call. Microsoft is banking that digital media will take off and Sony is praying bluray stays successful. They're both going to be right but for the forseeable future there will be very little overlap in media playback abilities. Tbh, I think they're waiting to see which way Nintendo goes. Sounds fanboyish but it's not. If Nintendo and MS both adopt digital downloads and make it work, Sony will be left as the only one still requiring you to keep up with DVDs. Conversely, if Nintendo and Sony both use blu ray DVDs and it works out, MS will be left out in the cold. It's all about selling points and while they may not necessarily care about being in first place, no one wants to be the odd man out.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#14 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

lol wow mitch your even stupider than you let on and everyone is enjoying your bs by the way. Well, Lemm all I have to say is seriously go somewhere else for your information or pm me if not then good luck lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • 7747 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

fanboys are high quality entertainment, even more so than a PS3

#16 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

lol wow mitch your even stupider than you let on and everyone is enjoying your bs by the way. Well, Lemm all I have to say is seriously go somewhere else for your information or pm me if not then good luck lol.

Wtf dude? You gave the EXACT same advice to the original question that I did.

Since your attention span is around 5 seconds, I'll summarize what we both agreed on:
1) If he thinks he'll play PS3 games, get a PS3
2) If he's not interested in the games, get a regular bluray player
3) Getting both an XBOX and bluray is a waste of money

Take your trolling someplace else, like your own message board. You know, the one where you ban people that don't agree with you.

Btw, I hope the grammer and word choice in your masters thesis is better than your posts here. If not, Zhang is going to be one disappointed program head.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#17 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

Also, Josh you do realize that the only reason you were unbanned was so you could continue to make a fool of yourself and give the rest of us more ammunition, right?
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#18 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I dont see how you came to the conclusion that I made because your posts say something different. If this is what you meant to say then sorry about that:

I agree completely.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Posted Image

Also, Josh you do realize that the only reason you were unbanned was so you could continue to make a fool of yourself and give the rest of us more ammunition, right?

Ephraim we will see what you have to say next time I see you. None of this pretending that you didnt see me when you come to the mini LANs then run away. If you got something to say to me, say it to my face you pussy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I dont see how you came to the conclusion that I made because your posts say something different. If this is what you meant to say then sorry about that:

I agree completely.

I didn't just mean to say it, I did say it ;)

If you're primary use is watching blu-ray movies you can get something with many of the same features for 1/3 the price of a PS3. Sony, LG, and Samsung all make nice BD players and they'll be around $100 this time of year. I got my LG this time last year for $125 and it streams netflix.

If you're actually interested in PS3 games then it seems like a no brainer.

You can get an XBOX360 and a cheap bluray for the price of a PS3 w/o Move but it's not really worth it. To get a decent version of the XBOX you have to spend a good deal more and, like you said, pay for online play. A year ago I'd have said go that route but this late in the game I'm just not sure the XBOX is worth getting, not if you also plan on getting a bluray player. Some of the newer XBOX games aren't fully compatible with the intro-XBOX and while you can install your own HDD it's a bit of a pain.

It's cool though.

Btw, what does Zhang have you guys working on now? Is it still the parkinsons/tremor thing?
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users