51 replies to this topic

#21 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

Ephraim we will see what you have to say next time I see you. None of this pretending that you didnt see me when you come to the mini LANs then run away. If you got something to say to me, say it to my face you pussy.

Oh, wait. You mean that one saturday when I had nothing to do and watched Freakazoid with Alex in the mp room for half an hour? Yeah, I ran off because you totally scared the crap out of me and not because I was bored and didn't want to play BlazBlue.

PS: Are you a witch? It's okay if you are, I just want to know.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#22 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

3) Getting both an XBOX and bluray is a waste of money

....unless you are actually interested in xbox games, lol.
Posted Image

#23 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • 4634 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Also, MS did release the seperate hd-dvd drive for xbox (lol i know)
IF MS cared about the consumer (they don't), they would release a bluray drive for xbox, or better yet the 360 slim wouldve included the bluray built in a la ps3. MS really did have the chance to make PS3 irrelevant with that but completely dropped the ball.
Posted Image

#24 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

IF MS cared about the consumer (they don't), they would release a bluray drive for xbox, or better yet the 360 slim wouldve included the bluray built in a la ps3. MS really did have the chance to make PS3 irrelevant with that but completely dropped the ball.

Ok lets say they did make the attachable external blueray for xbox and it came out now. The cost dif. between the blue ray attachment for xbox and a stand alone blueray would prob be not that much and it would only provide a minimal convenience to the consumer over a stand alone unit. Their best bet was to put it in the slim but there is a prob with that.

They would have never put it in the slim since the addition of it this late in the game would not be beneficial to MS. The xbox will still only play DVD games due to compatibility issues with older xboxs so the built in blueray becomes this bonus addition for consumers that MS cant get royalties from. Why would they waste the money when they are already making a new unit that is more stable and smaller . After all that is what people wanted in first place.

Edited by josrocket, 03 December 2010 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • 4634 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Well the idea wasnt for the benefit of games but for the media convenience.

I guess if you are interested in the PS3 games, then getting a ps3 is pretty much a no brainer, and that is regardless of the ps move (not gonna consider it much of a benefit until it really takes off, and i have the same stance on the kinect).

Slightly off topic: my time warner remote works great with my xbox. Will generic multi device remotes work with the PS3 too?
Posted Image

#26 josrocket

josrocket

Count

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Slightly off topic: my time warner remote works great with my xbox. Will generic multi device remotes work with the PS3 too?

Can you elaborate on what you use that for?

Edited by josrocket, 03 December 2010 - 06:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • 4634 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Can you elaborate on what you use that for?

I use it to control the xbox like for dvd playing, netflix etc
Posted Image

#28 Lemm

Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

ok ok i want a ps3...

PS My interview went really well so mebbe soon?
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#29 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

Rumor has it MS had a bluray made but chose not to release it. Normally I'd shrug that off but MS has definately been off their game the last few years and they don't really care if they develop something only to toss it in the trash before release. Given how ditzy Ballmer's been lately I'm hesitant to shrug it off as a 100% falsehood.

so the built in blueray becomes this bonus addition for consumers that MS cant get royalties from.

I think this is the driving force as much as anything else. MS doesn't want a portion of every XBOX sale going to pay Sony and crew for royalty fees on a format they don't explicitly need. It would be MUCH more convenient for their customers but royalty wise it's a whole lot cheaper to tough it out with what they've got than pay the added cost per unit and per game. By the time they release the next system, royalty fees will have come down and MS will (hopefully) have come to their senses.

This exact same thing is what screwed Wii owners. Nintendo didn't want the $20/unit fee required to enable DVD movie playback so they didn't include the decoders.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#30 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Anyone here hacked the PS3?

I was doing some reading and I found out that Waninkoko (the guy almost solely responsible for Wii usb backups) has been working on it and I've found a lot of info.

Here is the general gist of it:

You need a usb dongle to do it.. (PS Jailbreak or otherwise)
Sony pushes out updates to break the hacks (Go Figure)
The recent update 3.5 doesn't allow for backups?
You can downgrade to 3.41
3.41 Doesn't allow you to play on Playstation Network since it's not the current firmware version?
Some games don't work at all playing from backup..

Seems like a headache to me.. on top of the fact that the PS Jailbreak costs 100 dollars.. (which I believe is the most expensive but also the most reliable option).
Posted Image

#31 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

If Waninkoko is on it then it'll definately happen. It took him a while to create all the fake portions of the Wii firmware and the PS3 is much harder to code on. I don't know the current homebrew status of the PS3 but I do know that most of the Wii's security had already been broken by Team Twiizers and that made it considerably easier to allow pirated games to be played because they had all the hardcoded encryption keys needed to run unsigned applications.

Sony cares a little more about security than Nintendo did and I'm sure does a little more to protect their hardcoded encryption keys.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#32 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

speaking of.. apparently Sony just released a new version of their firmware that breaks the old downgrade hack and supposedly prevents anyone from downgrading anymore..
Posted Image

#33 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Wonder if PS3 homebrewers are releasing custom firmware upgades that retain the bugs from the previous versions?

Somehow I doubt they'd be that ingenious... well at least not yet. Waninkoko coded the foundation for that as well :)

Then again, Nintendo did the same thing. The Wiis that ship with 4.3U brick when downgraded below 4.2U.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#34 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well Sony has a different approach.. apparently they just fixed the loophole that allows you to downgrade.. instead of bricking your property they just keep you from doing it..

Honestly, I like this approach better although it will probably keep me from hacking a ps3 if I buy one.. more news at 11.
Posted Image

#35 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

It's actually 4.0, my bad.

I don't think Nintendo did it on purpose. I think the older OS's require the use of an IOS that is stubbed out on 4.0U and up. When Nintendo updates the System Menu, they only make changes to the individual IOS's that need updating and when they're done using one they stub it out so if you don't go back far enough you'll put a System Menu version on there that requires an IOS that is empty.

The last time I downgraded I went back to the pre-launch OS and updated one version at a time until I got to 3.2U. It took about 30 minutes on WCU's internet but everything worked great. Tbh, I think if you went ALL the way back and went up one OS at a time you'd still be able to get the newer Wiis to run SM3.x. Rolling backwards or just installing the OS you want, as most guides do, is extremely dangerous.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#36 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:39 AM

Yeah.. I'm currently on 4.2 U and really see no reason to update.. there are things out there that update the shop channel but I haven't had any reason to use the shop channel.. so whatev's

UPDATE:
So I bought a PS3 with 320 GB drive and Move... I thought it came with an HDMI cable.. but it didn't .. Luckily though I had ordered 2 Rosewood HDMI 1.4 Cables from New Egg at 8 bucks a piece and they just came in yesterday. I watched Shrek ever after yesterday and it looked really good (not my favorite choice in movies but I was getting a blu ray out of a red box).

Now I need games!

In other news..
I now have very little money for gas/food/girlfriend

Solution..
Tell girlfriend to deal with it and hope for the best. PS3 is better than getting sex this weekend right? Oh I forgot I'm going to be staying at her parents house so I wasn't getting any anyways... W00T.. LEMM WINS! (kinda)
Posted Image

#37 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yeah NOTHING comes with cables anymore. I get all my HDMI cables at Sams Club, they've got a Belkin for like $15.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#38 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yeah the ones I got a pretty cool I guess.. they even have the swivels on the ends so you can bend them. Supposedly they transfer internet across them too. I'm a real noob when it comes to these new HDMI devices and how they share internet connections..

When I was setting up the PS3 it said you could allow some sort of HDMI control capability allowing other HDMI devices to control each other or something..

I'm like wtf I'm dumb.
Posted Image

#39 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

So, I guess it was a good decision buying the PS3.

I GOT THA JOB!!!!
Posted Image

#40 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Devices typically can't control other devices through the HDMI interface. The exception is Sony which allows the PS3 to control newer Sony TVs.

I was not aware that internet could be sent through it but the bandwidth capacity on an HDMI cable is a good deal greater than that needed by a standard 1080p + dolby digital audio feed so I gess I'm not surprised. Many TVs now ship with an ethernet port for internet connectivity.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users