• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

Same room, same place

Catamount Room 2nd Floor UC
Time 8:00pm

Elections will be held as well as voting for the first lan
"Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time."

#2 Freezer

Freezer

Count

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

I may be a bit late but i should be there. if we cant find a good historian ill run for it and rent a camera from the library lol
Posted Image

#3 Thor

Thor

President

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

ok ill make sure that is know at the meeting, btw what is wrong with the internet, in Benton i get kicked off of Warcraft atleast once and hour or multiple times in a row and its not just at peak time either.
"Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time."

#4 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

btw what is wrong with the internet, in Benton i get kicked off of Warcraft atleast once and hour or multiple times in a row and its not just at peak time either.

Albright/Benton has the least reliable network closets on campus.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#5 Freezer

Freezer

Count

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

actually adams brother told me the the same about scott. i havnt had any issues in reynolds but your best bet is to put in a self service ticket online and get everyone on your hall to do the same.
Posted Image

#6 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

Well Scott's is pretty crappy too but A/B is by far the worst. One summer they had like 5 switches die in one closet alone with no load at all. Both closets have AC units that are broken.

Scott has the least reliable DHCP allotment. I tried to get it fixed over the summer but no one cared. They assume no one is going to hook up a gaming console or 2nd computer and with 30 day IP reservations, well, yeah that's an inb4'able disaster.

Anywho, can we get a meeting minutes?
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#7 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Well Scott's is pretty crappy too but A/B is by far the worst. One summer they had like 5 switches die in one closet alone with no load at all. Both closets have AC units that are broken.

Scott has the least reliable DHCP allotment. I tried to get it fixed over the summer but no one cared. They assume no one is going to hook up a gaming console or 2nd computer and with 30 day IP reservations, well, yeah that's an inb4'able disaster.

Anywho, can we get a meeting minutes?

I can attest to the fact that AB has the worst networking closet ever. And yes I was there when the switches dies for no reason... multiple times. Completely terrible.

Scott is kinda funny because they have water lines that run completely around all of the switches... with nothing protecting them... lol

And you cannot have meeting minutes for a meeting that hasnt happened yet
Posted Image

#8 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

And you cannot have meeting minutes for a meeting that hasnt happened yet

I know but without Ephraim the likelyhood of getting a tldr of the meeting posted here went down exponentially. I was hoping to plan ahead for it.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#9 Lemm

Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

Maybe we should have our own e-meeting.

I nominate Ephraim for secretary of Lemm's made up meeting for the WCU Forums.
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#10 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

On Thursdays, I have a class running from 6-9, but it usually let's out earlier. I'll try to swing by and ask who won what. I may even make it soon enough to vote on one or two things. I get the sinkikng feeling that the meeting is just going to frustrate me.

Also, I accept the nomination of Lemm's fictional orginization.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#11 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

I'm no longer at Western but chiming in about the internet stability/etc. The internet at WCU is complete garbage currently thanks to their filtering piece of shit software, I was getting lagged out and kicked off of WoW at least 2-3 times at night, peak hours or not. I know people currently in Central are dealing with this still so it is definitely nothing to do with the closets on campus at any of the dorms.

Also wtf Ephraim I thought you graduated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#12 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

piece of shit

I'm sure the filter "seemed like a good idea at the time."
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#13 Freezer

Freezer

Count

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

well its doing the thing they bought it for wonderfully.... just everything else in the world went to shit. they bought it to reduce the number of virus infections on campus and it does that. i still wish to take a hammer to it sometimes though
Posted Image

#14 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

The frustrating thing is that I actually voiced concern over the lack of testing and was pretty much tossed aside in the discussion for doing it. This thing was bought without testing it on a single student and now students are suffering for it. There are so many other things that money could have been spent on that students would have found beneficial that it doesn't even come close to offsetting the little bit of good it's doing.

If what you're installing both helps and hurts, find something else that only helps. There are tons of filters out there but they were deadset on buying one during that fiscal year. All their eggs were put in one that didn't even come close to handling the load and they had to scramble to find a replacement. As a result, the filter that was bought had 1, maybe 2, weeks of testing. What should have happened, is they should have spent that money on William's plan B, which was new computers for the labs and staff. Can you imagine the numbers you guys would see in the labs if they had brand new imac pros running Windows7 and Office 2010? It'd be full all the time.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#15 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

The thing is that there was absolutely 0 problems with the internet on campus during the Fall with WoW until about half-way through the semester. The problems with Starcraft 2 were bonkers enough and then all of a sudden they fuck up even more with the filter and start getting chokes in WoW that make you lag so bad you disconnect. It completely brings the internet to a crawl and affects EVERYTHING. When I was working in the Sandbox on campus my boss voiced concerns about the problems as well, as it shut off on us halfway through a transfer. While it may actually stop people from being completely fucking retarded by visiting sites that are obviously riddled with spyware and viruses, it kills the internet as well. Western's net was fine, now its shit, and could be causing problems for the Gaming Club as well with our servers that are constantly updated and... oh wait, sorry, I was dreaming and thinking of a few years back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#16 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Having listened to some of the selection and purchase discussions, all they seemed to care about was how effective it was at filtering viruses. Everything else seemed to be secondary. Now that may not have been the case, but that's the vibe I walked away with. When someone has a network problem, they wouldn't be getting the complaints and since both systems and networking generally ignore performance complaints I imagine this sort of thing wasn't considered something anyone in ITS would ever get nailed with.

As evidenced by Rossman's identical experience with Aion, once the filter picks up a few malformed or questionable packets it seems to start filtering those as if all subsequent packets were bad. All it would have taken is for someone to lag or crash in a weird way for it to start filtering WoW packets as well. In theory this could happen to any game or online application.

This is likely a configuration issue on the filter. Considering that it's happening to WoW, which has always had a very strong userbase on campus and never had problems, it cannot be a packet shaper issue. WCU's connection is an OC-12 (622Mbit, 601Mbit useful payload) and the max for the last month has been 345Mbit so it's definately not a bandwidth issue.

This is a fight the club leadership should be having with ITS, not our individual members. Either get them to do their jobs or replace them and put *leaders* in your leadership positions.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#17 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Also wtf Ephraim I thought you graduated.

Grad School.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#18 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Yeah if WCU had an engineering grad program I'd have gone there too.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#19 adam37

adam37

CS 1.6 Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

yeah i remember how bad the AB networking closet was...that was the most poorly designed/maintained networking closet ever. I'm honestly surprised anyone even got a connection in that dorm

#20 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Oh, grad school, that thing. I didn't even bother trying to go to Grad School, I don't think Western has a graduate program for Technical Writing anyways and I'd rather be earning money than paying for more education right now >>
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users