16 replies to this topic

#1 Lemm

Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

So, it seems like Sony has put a rootkit on the new firmware that allows them to control / scan / browse through the file system on your ps3 when you connect two PSN and possibly update your console without your consent. Sounds a lot like spyware to me. I'm not a 360 user, but I'm told Microsoft did the same thing.

This stuff really should be illegal.

http://www.ps3hax.ne.../#axzz1CjLtvgxu
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#2 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I'm lol'ing pretty hard right now.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#3 adam37

adam37

CS 1.6 Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

i couldnt even play any games unless i updated. I turned my PS3 on last weekend and couldnt even load MW2 without doing the update...very retarded

#4 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'm surprised Waninkoko didn't disable the code that verifys the OS version before allowing online play.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#5 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm surprised Waninkoko didn't disable the code that verifys the OS version before allowing online play.

I think that is done server-side... and where he might be able to change the fw version number on the console. And if sony sends a random request to your console and it doesn't get back the expected rootkit/spyware response, I believe they would just ban the console from psn.

To adam:

Yeah, you have to be connected to the PS Network to be able to play any games online (unless you use another network which I don't believe reports xp and such.. I forget what it is called but I think it starts with a K).
Posted Image

#6 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

In the wake of recent developments in Sony's war on Geohot, the company has released an "Official Statement Regarding PS3 Circumvention Devices and Pirated Software," which reads, in part:

Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently.

To avoid this, consumers must immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems.

Posted Image

#7 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Yeah that was just released. Sony had declared war on a large part of their customers... mass bans to ensue.
Posted Image

#8 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

Is such power granted to Sony through the EULA? I smell a class-action lawsuit.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#9 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Is such power granted to Sony through the EULA? I smell a class-action lawsuit.

Probably depends on what the EULA guarantees in regards to the online services and if there are stipulations in there about piracy; lets be honest nobody has ever read it so nobody will ever know lol.
Posted Image

#10 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

Since Chrome's release I at least skim every EULA but yeah you're definately right. The thing is that console makers constantly change the EULA and basically say that by updating to version X you accept the updated EULA. The EULA from release date is often significantly different than that of the current OS version, for all the major consoles and handhelds.

The big thing, in my mind anyway, is that all 3 companies single out piracy as the reason why they're strict on this even though most of us that modify our consoles don't do so to pirate games. Wii owners wanted DVD playback, PS3 owners are just trying to get back a feature they had when they originally bought their consoles, and XBOX owners are, well, idk, <insert reason>. The question that's developing is whether or not YOU, the consumer, own the console or are you simply renting it? You bought it, took it home, plugged it in but the manufacturer is still reaching out and dictating what you can and cannot do with it. Congress spent years going after cell phones for this sort of thing, I can't imaigne why these guys would be going out of their way to use the same business practices that got them in so much trouble.

Every consumer knows that's wrong but I don't think anyone is upset enough to sue over it. They'd probably win, it's definately an immoral business practice, but no one wants to go risk the money required to go against a major company.

It's kinda like when they sued manufacturers over false advertising in wireless networking gear, it took one really brave person to start the domino of lawsuits. They all settled, of course, which is why they can still put 54Mbit as an actually achieveable bandwidth on wireless G devices, but the concept is the same. You're buying something but you either can't use it to it's fullest extent or were lied to about the features it had.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#11 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:08 AM

I think Sony thought geohot was just going to roll over..

Anyone see the rap he did in response? If you didn't, here it its:
Posted Image

#12 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

Sony requires all users to agree to new TOS before accessing PSN: http://www.ps3hax.ne.../#axzz1EJUmkJX9

I personally think that they shouldn't be able to introduce many changes to the TOS once a person has made a purchase. I don't know many people who would buy a PS3 and not have the intention of connecting to the PlayStation Network. Even though legally you are not purchasing a connection to PSN, it is implied that you will use it... Seems like complete crap that they can hide behind TOS or you can't play bs.

All in all, I think cases of hacking consoles and other devices that YOU OWN will eventually bring about more legislation benefiting the end-user (or at least I hope so). Companies like Sony, Microsoft, Motorola, and Apple need to adjust before they get left behind.

They need to find a way to secure their code and games on their systems while still allowing the consumer to modify the hardware / software.
Posted Image

#13 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Well the thing is they found ways to secure their consoles but chose to take engineering shortcuts to save money. Nintendo left their security subsystem virtually unprotected against physical attacks and Sony didn't even implement the main part of their security protocol. I guess they think consumers are dumb and sheepish and, well, for the most part they're right. Just like in the Matrix, the problem is with that 1% that doesn't accept the programming.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#14 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

hahahaha...

one day I'm going to just build a media computer.. maybe even build an arcade control box on it to run emulation..

THEN I'LL BE LIKE... WHAT DEN SONY?!
Posted Image

#15 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Tbh, I'm still surprised Sony is actually suing him. If someone is good enough to single-handedly crack their security algorithm they need to HIRE this person. I've never understood why companies try to sue rather than work with obviously intelligent and dedicated fans.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#16 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

They are probably mad..

Because Microsoft hired him.
Posted Image

#17 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

MS? Really? Wow that sucks for Sony. In that case the lawsuit makes even less sense now that there's a remote chance that their primary competitor that has no problem bleeding money might back him.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users