WCU Online Gaming Club
Sign in to follow this  
Thor

Halo MLG Tournament

Chris Campfield gave me this idea at the LAN, and id like to do it. One to advertise the club and two to help a good cause. Plus if you give a big enough Corp. Donation to relay for like you get your logo on their t-shirt.

When: April 23rd/24th, 2011

Where: Blue Ridge/Balsam

Time: Registration starts at noon, tourneys start at 1

Cost: $10 4v4/FFA

What: 2 day Halo:Reach tourney Saturday being 4v4 tournaments MLG Rules, Sunday FFA tournament MLG Rules.

Prizes: Cash Prizes dependent on amount of registrants. half of all proceeds will go to Relay For Life

All this is in works and nothing is permanent yet, still trying to get judicial information on cash prize for games of skill just to make sure there will be no issue

All this is in works and nothing is permanent yet, still trying to get judicial information on cash prize for games of skill just to make sure there will be no issue

Read over the NC laws on gambling. They also include this sort of thing and outline what is and is not legal for organizations to do and what percentage the cash prizes can be without triggering a bunch of extra rules.

Make sure you get the rules for non-profits, some sections of the code vary wildly between for-profit and non-profit organizations.

Well from my discussion back when we were trying to figure out the rules from magic tourneys and prizes. Magic was gambling bc you didnt know what the next card was, but the school classifies the tourney like halo, cod, tf2 as "games of skill", but yeah ill look at that tonight so i dont have to wait on a response from school.

Yeah I wouldn't wait too long on a reply from the school's legal team, they usually never reply to clubs or organizations until either the day of or after the event.

The Honors college was going to host a poker tournament with ALL proceeds going to relay for life and after 2 weeks of advertising legal told them no the day before the event.

Do a search in the NC general statues. I know it's in there somewhere because I've found it before.

You won't find anything on the WCU website about it. Alternatively you can run it by the ICC director, if he approves it at least you won't get in trouble if it's against the rules/law.

Also, are students the only ones allowed to compete? If not I believe I can get a bigger turnout by inviting MLG kids from www.mlgpro.com (Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee) They usually come if money is involved.

Yeah like all LANS its whoever wants to come, Seem like all is ago got an email today that since it is a game of skill there will be no issue with cash prizes. So if you could start working on a flyer Waffle that would be great, and any input on MLG related stuff would be awesome too seeing as how you seem to be the most knowledgeable person in the club about this topic.

Awesome, will work on a flyer tonight. What rules are you doing? Are all gametypes and maps a go? (Flag, Bomb, Territories, Slayer) MLG is currently under v3 settings which include some community made maps such as Element and Nexus. Also all gametypes and maps can be found here.

As far as headsets go, at most MLG events they are encouraged due to the amount of noise at events. MLG does not provide headsets for its players but does provide a Astro Mixamp for its players with headsets to utilize. I know headsets have been a hard thing to get a consensus on but I know if MLG kids do come they are going to want to use their headsets.

If you need anymore help with any MLG related item just PM me :).

Also is the date set for April 23/24th because that is Easter Break and I don't think a lot of people will be here during that time.

ya we might need to set that date back because it might take us a while to get everything setup, and for a tournament this big we need to make sure that we will have enough equipment this time. Alot of time and money goes into preping for something this big, because providing our own supplies is definitely a plus and if we can provide our own it would cut down on lacking of supplies an confusion. we need to definitely need to find a way to get highly financed for a task like this or its disaster in the making

We don't necessarily need to be financed but rather decide which TVs we are going to use. To make sure there is no lag time or at least the very minimal that we can find, I think we will have plenty of boxes to use though.

well if this is goin to be fully legit mlg then we need to find ps3's for blackops and hdmi cables to go with them, as for reach me you both know the exact equipment for that so that game is covered. for starcraft 2 we will need the to the check the site for that

Its just a Halo: Reach tourney set in MLG rules. There are not going to be any BLOPS or SC2. We still need a decision on the date though so I can post on MLG Forums soon to allow people to make decisions.

MLG Halo Reach tournament is now set for April 16/17th, the weekend after the LAN. We will be following the v3 settings which include community maps Nexus and Element.