WCU Online Gaming Club
Sign in to follow this  
Lemm

3DS makes some people sick

You can turn the 3D off, just saying. Hell, a one-eyed friend of mine has a 3DS, and even though he can't use the 3D, he loves it.

I'm just saying I got sick playing goldeneye, metroid prime, and the conduit for wii.. so I stopped playing it.. headache / nausea. I think those got me because the controls were awkward and not making the movments my mind expected them to make.. kinda like motion sickness.. I get that too.

And I obviously wouldn't get a 3ds if the main feature (3D) made me sick. I wouldn't bother turning it off, I'd just return it.

---

I'm not trying to say it's not a cool device.. I still want one.. just don't know if I could play with it.

Edited by Lemm

I just played around with the demo unit briefly and the thing made my eyes hurt within 2 minutes. I even tried scaling the 3D down and up to see if it had any effect. It's ok. But then again, like other Nintendo products, I just see it as gimmicky. But then again, I feel that way about 3D movies/television as well.

Most people who play it often turn the 3D completely off. It's still a good handheld but autostereoscopic isn't, and never will be, feasible.

I don't know how to feel about 3D. As a kid, I would occasionally see a 3D movie or something, and I was blown away by the way the characters would get up to my face and stuff. I even liked the 3D effects in the Virtual Boy. But now, whenever I see something in 3D, like the 3DS or demonstrations of 3D TVs in electronics stores, it just doesn't impress me as much. While there is definatlry more of a sense of distance than in standard screens, it just isn't the same. I don't know if 3D just seemed more impressive as a kid, or if there is some technical explaination for why contemporary 3D isn't as impressive as the 3D I remember as a kid.

Anyways, it seems like the 3DS will come out with one really good game every couple of months, which sounds... exactly like every other Nintendo console for the last decade or so.

You just aren't as easily impressed as you were when you were... 5...

3D is just a sales gimmick. It's a phase that repeats every 15-20 years. If history holds true it'll remain moderately popular for the next year or so and then die back off again.

I don't know how to feel about 3D. As a kid, I would occasionally see a 3D movie or something, and I was blown away by the way the characters would get up to my face and stuff. I even liked the 3D effects in the Virtual Boy. But now, whenever I see something in 3D, like the 3DS or demonstrations of 3D TVs in electronics stores, it just doesn't impress me as much. While there is definatlry more of a sense of distance than in standard screens, it just isn't the same. I don't know if 3D just seemed more impressive as a kid, or if there is some technical explaination for why contemporary 3D isn't as impressive as the 3D I remember as a kid.

Anyways, it seems like the 3DS will come out with one really good game every couple of months, which sounds... exactly like every other Nintendo console for the last decade or so.

You know I feel the exact same way... I think the current 3d technology / movies / content has scaled down the in your face scenes for some reason.

It kinda takes away from the effect.

You don't always want to see something "in your face." After an hour the effect gets old and the "this is cool" shock wears off. Being bored in a movie threater is, well, boring.