I met Flute Link!

#3 Oh Malley

Oh Malley

Boss Battle Podcast Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

They've also got their own "Just Dance" game coming out too. Seems like Sony can't come up with an original idea. Honestly, I'd just be happy to see a good Sony exclusive game that doesn't take me 1 to 3 hours to install/update to play it the first time. *crossesfingershopingthatTwistedMetaldoesn'tcometothat*

#4 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

So first they copied the wii and now they're copying it's games.

Now I won't feel so bad about buying the next Nintendo console, the game concepts for it will apparently be 4 years ahead of Sony.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#5 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

They've also got their own "Just Dance" game coming out too. Seems like Sony can't come up with an original idea. Honestly, I'd just be happy to see a good Sony exclusive game that doesn't take me 1 to 3 hours to install/update to play it the first time. *crossesfingershopingthatTwistedMetaldoesn'tcometothat*

Oh I dont know, how about:

-Uncharted:Drakes Fortune
-Uncharted: Among Theives
-LittleBigPlanet
-Infamous
-Dead Nation
-God of War 3
- Any "Collection" games
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Demons Souls
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- Resistance 2

Yea, i think you get the point lol. Good games with little to no install time. I can list more if you'd like.

Edited by Bloodedge, 02 November 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#6 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

So first they copied the wii and now they're copying it's games.

Now I won't feel so bad about buying the next Nintendo console, the game concepts for it will apparently be 4 years ahead of Sony.

Mitch, Nintendo isnt even sure what they want to do anymore with the WiiU. It has garnered such negative responses from conventions such as E3 that they have pretty much gone back to the drawing board. I mean hell, I would to if I had a system with a controller that was going to cost its fan base over $100, thats insane. And do show or tell about these concepts you mention b/c I havent seen anything new about the WiiU in quite some time. Last I saw of it, there were wispers of a Smash game being made for it, thats it.

#7 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

But yes, this definitely sounds like a Smash clone. Could be fun though, but we shall see.

#8 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Mitch, Nintendo isnt even sure what they want to do anymore with the WiiU. It has garnered such negative responses from conventions such as E3 that they have pretty much gone back to the drawing board. I mean hell, I would to if I had a system with a controller that was going to cost its fan base over $100, thats insane.

Not according to recent press releases and interviews. Apparently they're right on track with where they said they'd be with the final version scheduled to be shown at E3 2012 and a release a few months after that. Game developers interviewed in September noted that they were developing games that took advantage of the controller displayed at E3 2011.

And do show or tell about these concepts you mention b/c I havent seen anything new about the WiiU in quite some time. Last I saw of it, there were wispers of a Smash game being made for it, thats it.

At E3 2011 the new SSB game was confirmed. Also, Sony has recently announced that the Vita will interact with the PS3 in almost an identical manner as the Wii U controller. Sony has also cut spending on the PS4's development so it's likely that they're planning for the PS3/Vita to directly compete with the Wii U.

So Sony has their competition gameplan set, the puzzling thing is that Microsoft does not. They haven't made any moves and are no closer to releasing the next XBOX than they were before the announcement of the Wii U. I guess they're waiting and hoping that the specs announced aren't entirely truthful. If they are the 360 is going to be in serious trouble.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#9 Ephraim

Ephraim

Secret, but fun.

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

I've heard from a couple engineering students that game-related technology has reached a standstill, and that the improvement between this generation's consoles and the next will be relatively minor. If this is true, it could explain why all the game companies are dragging their feet to announce the new consoles.
Posted Image
I met Flute Link!

#10 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Mitch, Nintendo isnt even sure what they want to do anymore with the WiiU. It has garnered such negative responses from conventions such as E3 that they have pretty much gone back to the drawing board. I mean hell, I would to if I had a system with a controller that was going to cost its fan base over $100, thats insane.

Not according to recent press releases and interviews. Apparently they're right on track with where they said they'd be with the final version scheduled to be shown at E3 2012 and a release a few months after that. Game developers interviewed in September noted that they were developing games that took advantage of the controller displayed at E3 2011.

And do show or tell about these concepts you mention b/c I havent seen anything new about the WiiU in quite some time. Last I saw of it, there were wispers of a Smash game being made for it, thats it.

At E3 2011 the new SSB game was confirmed. Also, Sony has recently announced that the Vita will interact with the PS3 in almost an identical manner as the Wii U controller. Sony has also cut spending on the PS4's development so it's likely that they're planning for the PS3/Vita to directly compete with the Wii U.

Interesting. I must look into this at some point. From what I heard about the new Smash game, its getting completely re hauled. From what I was told, it was going to be like a fighting game-rpg hybrid where you can level up your character. That may be old news though, im not sure.

#11 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

I've heard from a couple engineering students that game-related technology has reached a standstill, and that the improvement between this generation's consoles and the next will be relatively minor. If this is true, it could explain why all the game companies are dragging their feet to announce the new consoles.

Ive actually heard this from several people concerning computing in general. It actually kind of makes me happy considering the fact that this means we will more than likely be getting a longer console life out of our consoles.

#12 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

In terms of general computing it's not true at all. Intel has designed their architecture so that even though they aren't getting MHz faster they're still getting a 10-20% overall performance increase every generation. It was looking to be true but Intel has developed a brand new type of transistor that makes it possible to shrink CPUs much smaller than they could have otherwise with traditional transititors. It's actually incredibly cool watching how these guys deal with problems that occur when they try to shrink things to sizes they were never intended to go. When you get to the scale we're at now nature itself tries to interfere, for example quantum tunneling, and it's fun watching these guys develop new things to overcome it.

Now in terms of consoles, yeah there's some truth to it. The problem is that they all use garbage IBM processors in consoles and IBM's performance increases lately have been pretty stagnant when compared to Intel. They placed a lot of stock in the Cell processor and it just didn't pan out like they thought it would. Now compared to the XBOX360, the Wii U's CPU will be much faster but compared to the PS3 it will only be 15-20% faster. Actually, compared the 360 the Wii U could be up to twice as fast as they're using the same server CPU that was used to power Watson. This is still significant in terms of games capability but it's not enough to warrant building a whole new console to compete against, at least not for Sony. Considering that most high-end titles are actually playing at 720p on the PS3 and some lower weird scale on the 360 it's likely that they'll just be played at full 1080p on the Wii U since that would require no major change to the overall game. This sucks for Wii U owners as their games could be much better and will be held back by the previous generation but that's been happening to the PS3 for a number of years now and is not a tactic that is going away anytime soon.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#13 Bloodedge

Bloodedge

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

so what are the actual spec for the WiiU?

#14 Lemm

Lemm

CS:S Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if any of the next gen consoles will try to incorporate 4K resolutions. It's coming eventually- maybe closer to 10 years from now. We probably need a mega-blu-ultra-ray disc to hold the games though.
Posted Image

I'm still here. Waiting... Posting...

#15 Oh Malley

Oh Malley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Oh I dont know, how about:

-Uncharted:Drakes Fortune
-Uncharted: Among Theives
-LittleBigPlanet
-Infamous
-Dead Nation
-God of War 3
- Any "Collection" games
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Demons Souls
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- Resistance 2

Yea, i think you get the point lol. Good games with little to no install time. I can list more if you'd like.

LBP 1&2, Demon Souls, and Infamous I'll agree with you. Everything else is ok on my list. I'll maybe even put Uncharted on my good games list, but only the first two apply to the lack of install/update time. The third one falls victim to this trend. Every game that has come out in the past year; however, has required a ridiculously long update/install time.

And by the way.. Dead Nation is a cheap arcade game that they gave away for free and the Collection games are just HD updates to previous games. Stuff that they released on PS 2 discs without need of installs or updates in the first place.

Edited by Oh Malley, 02 November 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#16 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

meh I like my ps3- and the games - and the blu-ray player
Posted Image

#17 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • 7320 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

so what are the actual spec for the WiiU?

http://en.wikipedia..../Wii_U#Hardware

Worth noting is that the CPU family being used has 4 to 8 cores and executes 4 threads per core and is clocked at 2.4GHz to 4.25GHz. This is compared to the 360's 3 core processor with 2 threads per core clocked at 3.2GHz. Also worth noting is that the 360's CPU is limit to in-order execution while the Wii U's CPU will support agressive out-of-order execution. Ignoring everything else, the performance difference in execution ordering alone will be staggering.

It's also been noted that the Wii U has more RAM than both the 360 and PS3. On a console that doesn't matter as much as PCs but it's nice to see the next gen will be trending in that direction.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#18 newrayz

newrayz

Tu Madre

• Server Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

So what kind of pricetag are we talking about? Too early to speculate? With those numbers, the fact that it's the next gen, and from what people are saying about the controller (costing 100+ bucks), is this fucker going to be like 700-800 dollars?

Edited by newrayz, 03 November 2011 - 07:10 AM.

CLEAN FOO

#19 Oh Malley

Oh Malley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

I'd probably suspect a $500-$600 system. Something akin to the PS3's original price tag. Everybody's obsessing over the price of the controller even though only 1 will work with the system (unless some press release / announcement came out). It's more than a controller. It's a tablet with the size of that screen built in. Luckily, it is fully compatible with all Wii accessories and games.

#20 Lemm

Lemm

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

It's also been noted that the Wii U has more RAM than both the 360 and PS3. On a console that doesn't matter as much as PCs but it's nice to see the next gen will be trending in that direction.

Maybe this console will actually have a decent web browser...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users