10 replies to this topic

#1 Havoc

Havoc

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hey there, this is Havoc° and I was just wondering what the format of the Feb 10th LAN is going to be like. Will there be FFA competition with elimination ultimately ending with 1v1s like the last tournament? Or are there simply going to be FFA games or 1v1 brackets? Forgive me if this has already been mentioned somewhere and I have overlooked it. I would also like to take this opportunity to recommend to the administrators of the tournament a list of official maps and mods that fall in line with CPL and WCG standards.

Maps (FFA/ TDM / 1v1)
DM-Antalus
DM-Corrugation
DM-Compressed (1v1 only)
DM-de-Ironic (1v1 only)
DM-Goose
DM-Goliath
DM-Asbestos
DM-Campgrounds2004/5 (G1-E is the best version) (it's essentially the quake map remade)
DM-1on1-Roughinery (1v1 only)

Mods (typical for competition standards) - I have played in lots of UT tournaments.
UTcomp v1.6A (this provides brightskins, hitsounds, and allows players to force default models) This mod is also the cornerstone of most competitive UT tournaments because of the simplicity of its use - you can hit f5, vote 1v1, and the settings are done automatically. It also works well in FFA or TDM because of the features I mentioned before.
NoSuperWeapons (turns off the redeemer, though leaving this on makes for hilarity so you could really go either way for a small lan)
NoAdrenaline (this will only matter in 1v1 games - disables adrenaline combos ie: booster, speed, etc)
AntiTCC (This is anti-cheat for ut2k4, I could see going either way on this, but I doubt anyone is going to cheat at a LAN in plain sight of everyone. I'm not sure what the newest version is, but I bet google knows.)

Other Settings
The translocator is typically OFF in all tdm and 1v1 games
WeaponStay is typically ON in free for all games, OFF in 1v1
Standard 1v1 games are 15 or 20 minutes in length, FFA tdm games are typically 20.
The highest number of players supported by some UT maps (but not all) is 32. This is generally quite excessive, and for the sake of fun, and not lagging the crap out of everyone, I would recommend no more than 16 per game in FFA mode (just put up more than one server if you want to do ffa - we were in fact forced to do this at the last UT2k4 event because of latency). The recommended number of players for each map can be found in the map details when viewing the maps when inside the instant action menu.

If I think of anything else I will post it, or if you have any questions about any of this or something relating to the game I may be able to answer it. Right now I'd just like to know how the tournament is going to be formatted.

#2 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

It's all up to the UT2k4 council leader, Falcon. On a side note, I hate weapon stay - if you can explain why it's on your tournaments maybe I'll see the light :)

#3 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

As for UT2k4, IŽll get the preliminary brackets up later tonight. Wrote em up when I spaced out in history yesterday

College Undergrad | Networking Technology / Associate's in Science dual major
Associate's in Science and Associate's in Art dual major graduate, Haywood Community College, Spring 2010, summa cum laude
Associate in Applied Science in Forest Management Technology, Haywood Community College, Fall 2010 - (Spring 2012)

#4 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

Havoc, seems like you know more about this than alot of us. Get up with our UT council leader do discuss your plains.

#5 Havoc

Havoc

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

No prob, I think he lives right down the hall. Falcon I might stop by sometime soon, and if I don't just come yell at me or look me up on facebook to get my screenname or something.

And regarding weaponstay: I've been to tournaments that do it both ways, but what I can tell you is that may inexperienced players HATE UT without weaponstay when it's on free for all. This is because they die, spawn with the completely useless assault rifle - and are thus immediately overwhelmed by someone with say a rocket launcher or minigun. FFA without weaponstay makes FFA much more difficult to be successful in - but again I've seen tournaments do it either way. Now as far as 1v1 goes, weapon stay is always off - because that's part of playing 1v1 strategically, controlling the weapons if you wish to do so.

#6 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

aŽight. well, don't drop in tonight, itŽs just the roommate and heŽll not be happy. but tomorrow after maybe 1 or so, yup yup. IŽll be there

Associate's in Science and Associate's in Art dual major graduate, Haywood Community College, Spring 2010, summa cum laude
Associate in Applied Science in Forest Management Technology, Haywood Community College, Fall 2010 - (Spring 2012)

#7 Ashley Faulkner

Ashley Faulkner

Gaming Club Founder

• Gaming Club Founder
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

FYI Havoc is Keith Kelly, our old UT2K4 Council Leader...Keith hope you have been practicing, sounds like you might actually have some competition this time :)
~~Ashley Faulkner~~
**The unknown 4th founder & Constitution Creator/Editor**
~~The Mrs. Adam Faulkner~~
~~Mother to Alex Faulkner-future gamer~~

#8 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

eh, well, I'm gettin kinda rusty. been forever since i've played anything but bots, and those you can learn. Up to a certain difficulty just running will keep you outta trouble, then once you get to the harder ones you learn things like jumping left then right, so on and so forth...

#9 Havoc

Havoc

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

I have been practicing. My team won 1000$ a man in Utah this summer. I'm trying to make them get scrims every night so I get some PT between now and the tournament, and I'm going to pub for at least an hour or so every day until then. I want to be in top form for this one. Last time I was a little rusty to be honest, I want you guys to see what I can really do.

#10 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

I have been practicing. My team won 1000$ a man in Utah this summer. I'm trying to make them get scrims every night so I get some PT between now and the tournament, and I'm going to pub for at least an hour or so every day until then. I want to be in top form for this one. Last time I was a little rusty to be honest, I want you guys to see what I can really do.

great that what we wanned to hear.... <_<

#11 Havoc

Havoc

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

Or maybe I won't be practicing at all since I have 600 ping at night. GG network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users