Photo

How was the Lan for 2/10/07

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How was the LAN for 2/10/07? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How was the Lan for 2/10/07

1. The best yet (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Pretty damn good (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Could have been better (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

4. Just sucked (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ZAattackCH@WCU

ZAattackCH@WCU

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

you may also post here on what could make it better and what you liked and want to keep doing
Zach The F-ing ATTACK

#2 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Yes, PLEASE post suggestions, what you liked and what did not work. and what can we add to make it better..

These events are for you guys, what would you like to see?

#3 Oh Malley

Oh Malley

Boss Battle Podcast Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

I dunno.. it seemed like console players really got shafted this time around. I mean.. the first console tourney was 5 hours after brackets and what not. I mean, granted console players could play PC games, but most of them don't because 1) they don't have a good enough PC and 2) they aren't as good at PC games. Then the Halo 2 tourney only had an hour and a half to be completed. Being the more popular of the two games (between Gears and Halo), it really needs more time dedicated to it since more people would be willing to play that game, therefore meaning more matches. We had to keep cutting down score and time limits just to make sure we'd finish in time. Honestly 5 min time limits or 25 kills doesn't show much in Halo.. Only who got the better spawn really. But I digress from that point. Console tourneys are more time consuming because they're limited by their equipment. In the PC games, everyone has their own PC and can easily run multiple matches of 16 or whatever number they can handle. However in the console gaming, you're limited to how many consoles are present (because everyone might not have one) and the number of TVs present. So as with the last LAN, we had 4 consoles. Since we were doing 2v2s with a full screen, then only 1 match could be played at any given time. Even with split screen, you can only run 2 matches at once. Plus rounds need to be extensive, such as a best 2 of 3 maps with a reasonable time limit and kill count.

My suggestions: Disperse the Console Tourneys throughout the PC tourneys. Have 2 PC Tourneys.. then Console, then another 1 or 2 PC tourneys, then Console, and finish out with PC tourney(s). Or have an entirely separate LAN date for just consoles, allowing for the PC gamers to easily join in by showing up the next weekend or whatever. A place to play wouldn't be an issue since consoles have a lot less equipment to power and handle; therefore, a smaller room can be used to accommodate it. Plus, if the consoles had its own separate day, multiple tourneys could be run other than just cramming in two game tourneys into a PC/Console mixed LAN. For instance, at a console only LAN, Halo 1 (which is still very popular and fun LAN-wise), Halo 2, Gears of War, and a Madden tourney could all be run. Within the Halo 1 and Halo 2 games, you could have a FFA, 2v2, and 4v4 tourneys easily and could get a very good turnout. Gears could be 2v2 and 4v4 as well. So there is definitely enough games and tournaments to fill up a day, not as much room is needed for a console tourney, and each tournament would have adequate time for a fair, and albeit popular by current standards, competition.

Also, try and get some console sponsors of some sort. Like GelTabz, Microsoft or Xbox itself, etc.

#4 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

We tried to squeeze far too many tournaments into one day. We really need to cut it down to 5 at most. I know the hardcore fans are going to hate this, but we need to pick one of CS:Source and CS 1.6, because we can't give full time to both and still have time for different things. Keep in mind this is not a professional tournament; it's all for the fun, not the wins.
I would suggest CS:Source, Quake III (for the fun, old-school feel), Halo 2, DOD:Source, and Unreal Tournament 2004. Maybe a Gears tournament could run during other PC tourneys to keep the console-only gamers busy.

#5 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:37 PM

agreed. and note to all you out there who might panic, no those would not have to be the only games played:

FREE PLAY IS ALWAYS AN OPTION!!!

College Undergrad | Networking Technology / Associate's in Science dual major
Associate's in Science and Associate's in Art dual major graduate, Haywood Community College, Spring 2010, summa cum laude
Associate in Applied Science in Forest Management Technology, Haywood Community College, Fall 2010 - (Spring 2012)

#6 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • 7747 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

i agree with limiting # tourneys, we tried to do them all and in turn we did most of them in a sketch and cut the rest.

i suggest we set up PC/Consul tourneys to overlap.
for ppl that like CS and HALO they would just need to pick. or we can have 1.6 over lap with halo and gears over lap with CS:S. so that way everyone has a chance.

also need to decide what tourneys everyone like the best. (i'll make a poll) so go vote

as of now, we just dont have enough ppl to set up 2 days worth of LAN events. so thats just not an option at this time.

i also think we need a more organized "off tourney / free time".

#7 JazzmanSA80

JazzmanSA80

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

Maybe think about a different tournament format if we'd be running fewer tournies at an event. Some way so that even if you aren't good, you can stay in the competition for a little while, versus Round 1- you sucked. Next please.

Also I don't see why console tournies couldn't run all day, back to back, just like the PC games. I made the point already in another thread, but that gives everyone an opportunity to either compete all day on either platform, or go back and forth.

I know it's not about the competition, but let's face it- competing is more fun than free play, even if it is just a friendly tourny.

For instance, you could run CS:S, Quake 4, DOD:S, and Unreal 2k4 all day back to back like gxti suggested, meanwhile a Halo 2 tournament is running during the PC tournies, and then Gears of War run in the other half of the day during PC tournaments. The rest of the time, the consoles can be free play or you can add in another game as well.

More specifically, a schedule could look a little like this:

2:00-4:00 CS:S//Free play
4:30-6:30 Quake 4//Halo2

6:30-7:30 Dinner Break - 1 hour

7:30-9:30 DOD:S //Gears of War
10:00-12:00 Unreal 2K4//Other console tourny or free play

Just a thought...

#8 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

I think people are missing that a lot of PC tournaments got cut short as well. The way we had the schedule worked out was near perfect. The problem is getting people set up and logged into the games. We lost OVER 2.5 hours of game time that would have bumped the halo tournament up as early as 10. This 2.5 hours was lost to people not having games etc that they were supposed to get before the event even started. My point is that a lot of this stuff is out of our control.
bored.

#9 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I really think it would be better to do something like jazzman said; have at most about 4 pc tournaments but have them be longer or something; Run a tourny in CS:S, UT2k4, DOD:S, and CS and be done with it, all the while have console tournys
Posted Image

#10 Ashley Faulkner

Ashley Faulkner

Gaming Club Founder

• Gaming Club Founder
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

I love reading all these comments. You guys have great ideas, the problem is until you actually plan for and execute a LAN event, that is all you have just ideas. You really have no clue as to how much time and preparation go into each and every one of our LAN events.

BTW how many people were actually supposed to bring their consoles and tv's? I know at the one in December lots of people said that they would bring theirs and they didn't which is why we only had a limited number, I suppose that is why we had a limited number this time. I do think that the executives planned to have more consoles and tv's because they had extra space setup for them.

And as NoDice said, having more than one day for LAN's is not feasible at this time, nor is it supported by the constitution or staff. I hand it to the executive staff and advisors because they put at least 7-8 weeks of nothing but getting everything ready for the LAN events, which is why we have two and only two each semester.

I am sorry that consoles felt like they got cut short, that is an issue for your council leader, Akuzan.

Oh, why is CS1.6 getting cut in favor of CS:S...more people signed up to play CS1.6? Just a question.

How many people here have attended all 7 LAN events that the WCU Gaming Club has hosted? I know NoDice, Adambomb, NukeDude, and myself have, but I was just wondering how mnay others had as well.
~~Ashley Faulkner~~
**The unknown 4th founder & Constitution Creator/Editor**
~~The Mrs. Adam Faulkner~~
~~Mother to Alex Faulkner-future gamer~~

#11 JazzmanSA80

JazzmanSA80

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

I have my share of experience with larger events than this, so know exactly how hard it is to put something like this together- we are just throwing ideas out and hoping one of them will be useful.

Careful how you word that sort of comment or you could scare off the people who are giving the suggestions that were asked for.

#12 stevorob

stevorob

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

I agree alot with what people have already posted in here. Have less PC tournaments, and keep console tournaments running at the same time.

Yes, alot of time was lost with setup, but for the next one, maybe have a way to get the games out that people need before hand. I know I didn't have some of the games needed, but now I'll at least remember to keep them when I reformat my machine.

Perhaps people volunteering during the LAN to help with setup would be an idea to look into. When you're not playing, help some of those who need help getting the games on their machines. I did what I could to help a few when I wasn't playing, and I'm sure that it helped out some of you executive members by freeing you up for more important issues that were needing to be addressed.

Just my $.02.

-Steve

#13 Adam Faulkner

Adam Faulkner

Founder

• Gaming Club Founder
  • 3100 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

This is a simple answer and fix. If you dont like the brackets,

TALK TO THE COUNCIL LEADERS!

If you dont like the amount or time of Tournies,

TALK TO THE COUNCIL LEADERS!

IF you dont like the games that we play at the lan,

Talk to everyone who plays that game and convince them that your game is better than theirs .. haha

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

WCU Gaming Club Founder
- We bring students to college with games! -

#14 ZAattackCH@WCU

ZAattackCH@WCU

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

lol i like the last part adam
Zach The F-ing ATTACK

#15 cameron crazie

cameron crazie

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

CS 1.6 forever!!! Honestly, that's the only game I'd play if I came because I suck at everything else even more than at 1.6. So if you opt for CS:S over 1.6, I prob wouldn't come out.

#16 Adam Faulkner

Adam Faulkner

Founder

• Gaming Club Founder
  • 3100 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

because cs 1.6 fans are HARDCORE! If you spent 4 years learning the game you would be to.

who needs psychics

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

WCU Gaming Club Founder
- We bring students to college with games! -

#17 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:09 AM

I've spent over 4 years learning the game and I still prefer Source over 1.6. Its honestly not that much harder to learn or play, you just have to learn not to shoot through freaking walls, how hard is that? :P

Either way, less tournaments would probably be a good idea. Cycle out some of the less popular games and put in the more popular. Take out the 1.6 Custom tournament and you would have another hour or so at least dedicated for Halo. Move the Halo tournament up or dedicate more time to free-play, it doesn't really matter. The tournaments were generally, in at least my opinion, well run and finished well within time constraints. Once the tournaments got underway then there was no issue finishing up in the alotted time-frame. As Kuros said earlier, a lot of time was spent/wasted getting people set up to play the games. If people had gotten there earlier or asked earlier to get the games installed, etc then that problem would not have arisen.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#18 ZAattackCH@WCU

ZAattackCH@WCU

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

GO 1.6 SOURC E CAN SUCK MY LEFT NUT
Zach The F-ing ATTACK

#19 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • 7747 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

. Take out the 1.6 Custom tournament and you would have another hour or so at least dedicated for Halo.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you just said take our my favorite tourry and replace it with my lease favorite game of all time GAYLO!
:o :o :o :o :o :o

#20 Bitey

Bitey

My banhammer is more like a sledgehammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3019 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Ugg, gaylo...
I fight for those that aren't afraid to fight for themselves.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users