22 replies to this topic

#1 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys - I'm fairly new to the gaming club/forums, but I was at the meeting last night (3/22) and heard all of the games voted into the next LAN and noticed there were no RTS's included. I am a pretty big RTS enthusiast (mainly for Starcraft, as I follow the proscene quite avidly) and have fair knowledge of most of the other big names as well and would like nothing better than to have some sort of involvement for these games.

As you may or may not know, WCG (the 'olympics' of competative games) votes on what games to include every year into their lineup. Starcraft has been voted without fail and with overwhelming majority every single year of WCG's existance as the number one game on the list (even above counterstrike). It was suprising to me, knowing this, that WCU's last LAN did not include this game or any other of the genre its selection.

I realize that an RTS tournament takes a fairly long time to complete (estimated three hours for only a 16-man tourny), but seeing as this is an important genre for competative gaming, would you guys be willing to incorperate it into the next LAN? I would be more than willing to share my knowledge of proper tournament setup and general help if needed.

thanks~

[Edit: The qualified games in question would be, in order of preference - Starcraft: Broodwar, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, Dawn of War: Winter Assault, and Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs]

#2 Nickname

Nickname

Staying Positive

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4634 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

Hey guys - I'm fairly new to the gaming club/forums, but I was at the meeting last night (3/22) and heard all of the games voted into the next LAN and noticed there were no RTS's included. I am a pretty big RTS enthusiast (mainly for Starcraft, as I follow the proscene quite avidly) and have fair knowledge of most of the other big names as well and would like nothing better than to have some sort of involvement for these games.

As you may or may not know, WCG (the 'olympics' of competative games) votes on what games to include every year into their lineup. Starcraft has been voted without fail and with overwhelming majority every single year of WCG's existance as the number one game on the list (even above counterstrike). It was suprising to me, knowing this, that WCU's last LAN did not include this game or any other of the genre its selection.

I realize that an RTS tournament takes a fairly long time to complete (estimated three hours for only a 16-man tourny), but seeing as this is an important genre for competative gaming, would you guys be willing to incorperate it into the next LAN? I would be more than willing to share my knowledge of proper tournament setup and general help if needed.

thanks~

[Edit: The qualified games in question would be, in order of preference - Starcraft: Broodwar, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, Dawn of War: Winter Assault, and Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs]

I like RTS games but I think that the majority of the gaming club is in solid favor of FPS only; however, I noticed in another thread that there does seem to be quite a bit of interest in Company of Heroes, so personally wouldn't mind seeing that in a lan. The problem you are going to run into I think is people not owning the games; I for one only own warcraft 3 of the games you mentioned (and I am no good at it)
Posted Image

#3 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

We try to run the tournaments that we can give game support for. This doesn't necessarily mean that we are for or against certain types of games. You are more than welcome to suggest a tournament for RTS to run during other PC Tournaments that people can opt to play instead of our official list. We would probably not be able to offer any prizes, however I am willing to work something out should our sponsors send enough. If you can get me a large enough group of people (min 16) who would rather play this type of game than counter strike, quake 3, etc be sure to let me know thru the website PM system. If the interest is there, I will be sure to make arrangements for it to happen.
bored.

#4 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

I've often thought of the possibility for a RTS game to be supported and a tournament ran for the LAN but just decided that there wouldn't be enough support to run an actual tournament. As Kuros and others have stated, allowing the game to be played by many at once isn't easy with the newer games. Most newer games would require activation online and all kinds of hoops that people would have to jump through. Older games and possibly more popular games such as Starcraft and Age of Empires 2 would be a lot easier and plausible to install on people's computer's. I know I could provide the Age of Empires 2 and The Conqueror's expansion CD's as well as install it on several different people's computers, and I'm sure Zapling could install Starcraft on people's computers, just it depends on the interest of people.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#5 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

Star craft would be best cause pretty much everyone can play it and almost no one doesn't like it.
bored.

#6 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Same with AOE2 :P
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#7 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

I realize now that it would be tough to get War3 or any newer games quickly on a large amount of computers, however I definantly could provide the materials needed to install Starcraft to whomever needed it. Flakes would have to cover me on the Age of Empire's section, though.

Also, recently Warcraft 2 was recently released legally to the public as freeware, downloadable at this website:http://server.war2.ru/modules/mydownloads/
(Be sure when installing pick Standard + Server.war2.ru)

So how about if I revised that previous list to these games that can easily be installed : Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 2 ?

#8 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

We'd probably have to go with one, maybe two if there is enough support for it. Strategy game tournaments last for a while and trying to run and organize 3 at once or even 2 at once is a bit much.

Although I'm really wanting to download Warcraft 2 now :D.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#9 JazzmanSA80

JazzmanSA80

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

Brood War FTW! I've got plenty of additional pylons, and I know how to use 'em.

#10 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

If we do this (it will be voted at the next meeting) we will be playing Star-Craft.
bored.

#11 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image

#12 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:58 PM

Too bad pylons are not constructed, but rather warped in from another planet.

#13 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

Blame Aldaris, he's the one who says it.

#14 Brian

Brian

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Man, i remember playing warcraft 2 back in the day on the original playstation. Such fun.
I tell you this. As war becomes dishonored and its nobility called into question honorable men who recognize the sanctity of blood will become excluded from the dance, which is the warrior's right, and there will the dance become a false dance and the dancers false dancers. And yet there will be one there always who is a true dancer and can you guess who that might be?
You aint nothin.

I'm going down to Rose Marie's
She never does me wrong.
She puts it to me plain as day
And gives it to me for a song.
It's a wicked life but what the hell
The stars ain't falling down.

#15 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Warcraft 2 was on Playstation? I bet that was a failure, RTS for consoles is horrid.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#16 lootool

lootool

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

alls I know is..RTS is Rock The Spot..AHHHHH!! TOO HOT! LOOT.
Posted Image

#17 Kappamerc

Kappamerc

Troll

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:16 AM

alls I know is..RTS is Rock The Spot..AHHHHH!! TOO HOT! LOOT.

I know that StarCraft is fairly easy to run at a LAN event. Company of Heroes doesn't even require different keys or a cd to run... but I'm not advocating that B) . It does require a good computer to run efficiently so that is the ultimate downside to CoH. By far SC is the easiest and most capable to run when/if we finally host our fist RTS tourney that is something to consider for sure.

I've yet to really get into the new CnC so thats TBD. Ultimately it is fun and fast paced and I don't really see games lasting extremely long. In fact, if we needed to limit time we could just go by scores or even (in SC's case) go by resources gained / spent throughout the game. The most efficient people win after x amount of time.

Just a couple ideas...

**EDIT** CnC3 has Battlecasting. Basically its sportscasting for multiplayer games :D. That would be kinda cool to do at a LAN event ^_^.
Posted Image

#18 Adam Faulkner

Adam Faulkner

Founder

• Gaming Club Founder
  • 3100 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

StarCraft has been played at previous lan tourney's It was a small group of people and I do not recall giving out a prize, but they did have a winner and we tried to help them as much as possible.

AOE has been played at the past lan's also, but not as a tourney.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

WCU Gaming Club Founder
- We bring students to college with games! -

#19 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

StarCraft has been played at previous lan tourney's It was a small group of people and I do not recall giving out a prize, but they did have a winner and we tried to help them as much as possible.

AOE has been played at the past lan's also, but not as a tourney.

RTS prize is dependant on sponsor donations.
bored.

#20 JazzmanSA80

JazzmanSA80

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

rawr i wish i could play SC at the next LAN, but my gaming rig crapped out this week. plus, i can't miss halo 2 :)

Man, i remember playing warcraft 2 back in the day on the original playstation. Such fun.

Try Starcraft 64. You had to buy an upgrade for your N64 to play that mess, and it still sucked hardcore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users