20 replies to this topic

#1 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:16 AM

I need those responsible for running tournaments to report how long they think their tournament will take so I can get the timing nailed down. This is critical to registration.

PC
Counter-Strike: 2 hours (estimated)
Counter-Strike Source: 2 hours
DOD Source: 1 hour (estimated)
Gun Game: 1.5 hours (estimated)
Q3A: < 1 hour

Halo 2:
Gears of War:

N64/Wii
Wii Bowling:
Super Smash Brothers:

#2 Akuzan

Akuzan

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

Oh Malley and I are going to figure the times for 360 but at the moment id say that 360 needs to be run throughout the tournament. So do not specify a time seeing as it will take much longer to finish these 2

#3 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, I allocated 3 hours to each. If that's not enough, well then ;)

#4 adam37

adam37

CS 1.6 Council Leader

• PC Council Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

well since i expect 1.6 and gg to be pretty big at the LAN, i rather get input from everyone else about a good time to start that at the meeting tomorrow.

#5 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

I'm guessing the unsupported tournament such as Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Starcraft will be interspersed somewhere and started whenever?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#6 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

unsuported menes it will be their for free play,,, if your not in a tournament or ogt knocked out early, its their to play

#7 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

I have no idea WTF will be going on with starcraft, we might have to put it off until next time since I haven't even talked about it.

#8 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

Don't worry about StarCraft, I have a man on the job.
bored.

#9 Akuzan

Akuzan

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

i thought we already decided a while ago to make the hao at least, to last through the duration if the time the lan goes through. As some of us know 1 game of 5-10 minutes for each round isnt very fun. So if we would like the people who just go to the lans from consoles to have a good time we need to have it set up so they can have a good time. Most of the time the people who play pc dont go to consoles and vice versa. There are a handful of people who do both but not more then 2 or three actually play in the console tournies. So we can have it be 3 hours but as i have stated countless times the consoles take much more time and i know they have 1 hour more but even with that we have to shorten it alot. Let say we have 8 teams (16 people) if we did 10 minutes for each round and we play best of three. It would take a minimum of 5 hours....If it was single elimination with only one 15 minute round and it is best out of one then it would take 3 hours and 45 minutes. So the only way we would fit this in would be to have one round, single elimination, best of 1 game and a 10 minute time limit. Which is exactly what we had to do last time and that is what people were complaining about. They did not have enough time to have a fun, fair experience. So just run the 360 part of the lan half and half... Halo 2 or Gears for the first half and vice versa. This way we will deff have enough time for both and people will also have time to practice just before the tourney instead of people playing for 5 hours waiting for a tourney to start. Im sure this will give ample time and if someone from the pc side wants to play we can call your name over the speakers to call you over to play in your match. This way everyone can play and if you cant play at the moment we can play another round and wait for you so you can play in designated match. I would like it to be this way because at every lan the consoles have not gotten enough time to have fun on the tournament side. We all ahve fun play free play for many hours but thats not the same as actually having a good time competing so that it is fair for everyone. This is also the exact way they conducted the console tournies at App. They had the halo 2 during some other tournies and if you were playing css or some other game they would call out your name and if you could not play then you couldnt play. The halo 2 tourney and the other console tournies they hold there take many hours to complete. I know this is also new to the gaming club but if you want this is grow even more (more then 20 people) we need to create an atmosphere that is fair for everyone but mainly those who come to the lan for the specific reason of playing consoles. I have also seen that many people that come to the lans for consoles do not come back to play them again. They come and see that the times for consoles are messed up and then i do not see them the next time we have a lan. So if we could come to a great agreement on this then im sure many more people from Western would come and join us in playing some good ol' games.

#10 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:29 AM

From 2PM (when tournaments start) to 2AM is 12 hours. Subtract 3 hours for food, cleanup, etc and we get 9 hours. That would be 4.5 hours per tournament, except we want to have some of the "fun" tourneys (wii bowling, SMB) open to anyone. If you want to sacrifice that freedom and force halo 2 players to take the entire 4-5 hours and run over into the first dinner, fine. Gears, however, can't also do that because people have to eat eventually.

#11 Akuzan

Akuzan

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:45 AM

3 hours for food? does it really take people 1 hour and 30 minutes to eat one meal? it usually takes me at max 30 minutes....we are not playing a sport lol. Well also the cleanup doesnt take 2 hours...anyway to get off that. I have noticed that those who played in the halo and gears did not play wii bowling or ssbm, i could be wrong. Why do we have to stop for so long to get food? Most people get the food and then continue to play after 20-30 minutes. So why would we not be able to eat? We dont have to miss eating.....i am also not forcing them to do anything...i am wanting this so we can ahve fun playing...have 1 5 minute round is not fun.....its almsot not even worth playing. We want those who play to have a fun time and be able to have enough time to do that in. We had wayyyy to much free time last time which we should have used for tournament play. Starting the tournies so late made some people leave and having them shortened to 1 5 minute round didnt help either. So i can see free time as being important but we dont need to have 6 hours of free time. We can all play games with people over the internet all the time but we can get together with 20 or more of them very often and duke it out in tournament play. So do as you wish seeeing as you set the times but that is my 2 cents and i know we will have enough time to play both gears and halo. Gears might be slightly less but i have seen more people playing halo in the tournies. Many people sign up for gears but not many people actually show up to play so mainly all of the people who participate in the tournies are the one who are sitting at the consoles the entire time.

#12 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:54 AM

You should really come to the meetings to voice these opinions. It's kind of hard to do a good compromise via forums.
bored.

#13 Akuzan

Akuzan

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:11 AM

yes it is but i have either not known about the mmeetings(i dont ever go to the main page) or they are at a bad time. Well i have given my 2 cents...for whats its worth. Im just trying to make the console gaving fun. Everyone that played in the last lan knows that the tourneys were not as fun as they could have been due to short time restrictions. So this is the best way for consoles. As i have said before cross gaming (console to pc and vice versa) doesnt have too often between pc's and xbox's. So why stagger the times? If we want the console portion of the Gaming Club to grow you have to accomadate for it. I am the only person who have even tried to set up the xbox section gaming club to be something. So if you want it to be a big part of the club you have to figure out what works well. Im just stating what i have seen from playing in several tournies and over seeing tournies. So do what you will but this is the best way that i can see this happening.

#14 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

OK, fine, you get 4 hours with time to spill over into dinner. Halo 2 will start promptly at 2PM. Gears will start at 9:30 and run until we wrap up.

#15 Akuzan

Akuzan

Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

ok that sound good. it will be a little shorter then i had hoped but it will be a vast improvement from last time

#16 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:25 AM

Smash Bros will take 2 hours max
Starcraft = roughly 3-4 hours assuming at least 12 people show up.

#17 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Right now you have 3 registered SC players.
bored.

#18 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

haha, thats pretty much what i expected

will registration still be able to be done at the door like last LAN? I'm sure there are tons of people who just casually want to play (not just starcraft, but all games) and do not visit these forums to know they have to register

#19 Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

The Fascist

• Club Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

I'm sure there will be people who will sign up at the LAN to play, so I don't see why not.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Fascist Flakes

#20 Kuros

Kuros

banhammer

• Club Advisers
  • 3437 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

haha, thats pretty much what i expected

will registration still be able to be done at the door like last LAN? I'm sure there are tons of people who just casually want to play (not just starcraft, but all games) and do not visit these forums to know they have to register

I'm sure more people will sign up at the door.
bored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users