8 replies to this topic

#1 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

I'm not exactly sure who is running this, but if no one else is, I don't mind doing it. Last LAN's SSBM unofficial tournament was a bit sketchy, so I propose we use the standard MLG format (slightly edited for simplicity) for this upcoming LAN:

MATCHES

* 1v1
* Best 2 out of 3
* 4 stock
* 8 minute limit
* No items
* Players must use the same character for the duration of the tournament
* After the first match, the loser will let the winner know what stage they want to play on.
* Any unneccesary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that match.

STAGES

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Kirby's Dreamland
* Fountain of Dreams
* Kento Pokemon Stadium.
* Yoshi's Story
* Stages will be chosen at random for the first match

The brackets will be decided by a random drawing, of course (out of a hat, or whatever)
What do you guys think?

#2 Bitey

Bitey

My banhammer is more like a sledgehammer

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3019 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Sounds pretty good.
I fight for those that aren't afraid to fight for themselves.

Posted Image

#3 MasterP

MasterP

Gaming Club Adviser

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

The brackets will be decided by a random drawing, of course (out of a hat, or whatever)

Melee has a buit in system that randomizes the matches once all the human characters are created.
Mitch/MasterP/Kip

Posted Image

#4 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

Might want to cut it down to just one game per matchup, since you only have an hour.

#5 ZaplinG

ZaplinG

Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

The random drawing is concerned only with single elimination matches, so doing a BO3 would be impossible without establishing brackets outside of the game.

And an hour isnt time enough for any game to have a decent tournament :( I am saddened by this knowledge. SSBM is a game (among countless others) that almost always require multiple matches on various stages to be played in order to see who is truly better.

#6 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Think of it this way: We have 11 games to play in 12 hours, only one of them runs in less than an hour. I can't give everyone half the tournament.

#7 Falcon

Falcon

GrandMasta

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

If there's enough demand for enough games, we could eventually evolve into a 2-day LAN. but for now, we have games open from 2 pm to 1 am.

That gives everyone enough time to set up and show up, then an hour to clean that place up afterwards. Trust me we use that hour, and then some sometimes.

We have a lot of new games officially running, now that console is a part of the fun, so we have to squeeze all that in.

Don't get me wrong, PC games are just as subject to time constraints and all, but a lot of people want to play a lot of stuff. This time we're doing parallel tourneys for I do believe the first time as part 1 of trying to solve that.

Mention this kind of stuff at the meetings so we can publicly debate how best to handle this kind of stuff...

College Undergrad | Networking Technology / Associate's in Science dual major
Associate's in Science and Associate's in Art dual major graduate, Haywood Community College, Spring 2010, summa cum laude
Associate in Applied Science in Forest Management Technology, Haywood Community College, Fall 2010 - (Spring 2012)

#8 gxti

gxti

Duke

• Club Advisers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

Whups. Wii Bowling gets 2 hours.

#9 Phonetically Phamous (dice

Phonetically Phamous (dice

Legendary Noob

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

Think of it this way: We have 11 games to play in 12 hours, only one of them runs in less than an hour. I can't give everyone half the tournament.

and all the food breaks and prize handouts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users