Sign in to follow this  
Bananarchy

Gun Game rule ideas

Just to be very clear before I start this, these are nothing more than suggestions based on nearly 2 years of playing almost exclusively on gungame servers. The server in its current form is very good, however, I wanted to present rules from a server I played on for nearly a year that was by far, my favorite gg server. Without further ado, here goes:

1) The map is round based instead of deathmatch style (i.e. respawns only occur once an entire team is dead).

2) Players only get a new weapon at the begging of the round. Players can level up more than once in a round, but only by either picking up the next gun in the series from a dead player and killing again with that, or by knifing.

3) Only one kill is needed to upgrade to the next weapon.

4) gun levels are reversed. That is, level 1 is the glock, and the guns gradually get easier until the final two levels (nade and knife)

5) Grenade level cannot be skipped by knifing

6) FF goes on at nade level same as in the current rules. Tk'd players have a menu for punishment however that includes slaying (punished by a loss of a level-trust me, this results in massive lulz).

I know this is a somewhat radical departure from the rules as they currently stand, but when you think about how these rules synergize, several things become apparent. First, knifing takes on a much more primary role and has a much more lasting effect. Since players can only level up once per round with their gun, knifing becomes the focus once they get that kill. Second, the round based nature further increases the importance of knifing, since players can't simply make up for lost levels by zerging or rapidly respawning. Speaking of zerging, these rules also stress strategy and skill and tactics over camping a specific location and simply trying to kill as many people as possible before you get noticed. The round based feature also prevents spawn camping; one of the biggest problems in gg servers. The reverse order of weapons might not appear important, but it actually really does a lot to seperate good from bad players. Good players (i.e. one's that don't *edited* guns and instead use their knife) will be able to get several knife kills in the first few rounds. When everyone is awping the first round or two, it is very hard for truely talented players to get off to a strong start.

At first glance this method might seem a little slow going, but it creates some very interesting dynamics. Strategizing both your use of the knife, and trying to avoid getting knifed yourself play a large part. Also, towards the final levels things get very interesting indeed. The map rotation might need to be altered slightly since large maps really are not very effective as 1v1 scenarios can occur and take a while to resolve if the map is too large. I would suggest you play the server where i got these rules from, but it got hacked and has since been shut down :( .

This system really is a blast to play, and depending on how much work it would be to try out, I strongly suggest giving these rules a shot. Once you try gg with these rules, I think you will have a hard time going back to the current ones.

Cheers,

Bana

No.

But seriously...any gg that is not deathmatch annoys the *edited* out of me...to me, a gg MUST be fast paced and chaotic...

The knife in our gg right now already plays a vital role, because instead of getting two kills to level up, the knife takes one kill to level you up...

But good suggestions of course...

Edited by YahooEarth

I actually like round based gungames with triple-levels when you get three levels in a round.

However...I am afraid that there are too many people who would not play on the gg server if it wasn't deathmatch... (like Yahoo)

When I first started playing gun game, years ago that was how I played it...

I don't think it's a good idea.. I gave a lot of thought to all of the current rules and that is the complete opposite of what we have now.

I appreciate your comments and thoughts on this though. Suggestions are always welcome.

EDIT: In the future though, it would be better if you suggest somewhat minor changes.. these are like you said very radical and took some time to implement and have been well received.

Edited by Lemm

#2 on your list there banana would suck so much. Do you know how hard it would be to find the right weapon. What happens for those who are GG gods like me? I will be 5 levels ahead of you all and never be able to level up more then once per round. Can I throw out the idea of elimination. When you die you dont respawn untill the guy who killed you dies.

#5 is already in place.

#4 is not reversed but is actual normal gungame and I think it sucks because if someone gets a couple levels ahead, they can blitzkrieg to the end because their guns are superior to everyone else's; in our setup, it keeps things much closer

I always looked as the nade and knife kill to be the great equalizer. Usually in the time it takes to get the nade kill most people are around the nade level. If you get knifed while on the nade or knife level as it stands now you dont lose a level right?

I always looked as the nade and knife kill to be the great equalizer. Usually in the time it takes to get the nade kill most people are around the nade level. If you get knifed while on the nade or knife level as it stands now you dont lose a level right?

Right now as long as the person knifing you isn't on nade or knife then you DO LOSE A LEVEL. This is why I changed nade and knife kills to 1 kill. Getting a nade kill can be sometimes near impossible and being knifed makes the player lose it instantly.. getting two nade kills is way too much. So you can be knifed back to glock.

WHAT IS NOT IN PLACE right now is if you are on nade level you cannot steal a level from someone. I would like it so that you can delevel someone still but you don't gain a level from doing it. That way the knife kills still count for something, but it still forces you to get your nade kill.

WHAT IS NOT IN PLACE right now is if you are on nade level you cannot steal a level from someone. I would like it so that you can delevel someone still but you don't gain a level from doing it. That way the knife kills still count for something, but it still forces you to get your nade kill.

Yea this was in place on the server i played on as well. I just forgot to mention it. You could also make it that knifing someone on nade level gives you another nade. I have seen servers like this.

I knew it was a longshot going into it, but it seems people are generally against these ideas so I will drop it. I do appreciate that people want a fast paced gg (and tbh with the right maps it moves pretty quickly). I think it comes down to personal preference. My aim sucks, so i like a more strategy based set of rules with an emphasis on out-maneuvering opponents in order to knife, but i can also appreciate the zero downtime deathmatch method.

Oh well... :unsure:

You could also make it that knifing someone on nade level gives you another nade. I have seen servers like this.

This is already on the server.

I really really really like how elimination works. I'm sure no ones else does, but its pretty kick *edited* when your praying someone dies so you can respawn

I like it too but if we do that then you all will always be waiting for me to die

Sign in to follow this