Sign in to follow this  
Ephraim

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

New World of Warcraft Expansion Announced!

Here's what I think:

Radical Changes to Environments - This is interesting. Instead of creating a new continent, Blizzard is radically altering existing continents. I'm of two minds on this one. On one hand, it seems that Blizzard is trying to show the passage of time with a "major event". In previous expansions, the passage of time was shown in more subtle ways (new races align themselves, Death Knights start popping up), but this is anything but subtle. This will let us see established environments in new ways. I'm genuinely intersted in how this will be pulled off. I guess a lot of quest lines will be altered. On the other hand, this kind of smells gimmicky, like Blizz was thinking "Screw it. We'll blow up the world. That'll keep the players busy for a while." But then again, it's cool how Desolace will be turned into a gorgeous oasis, brimming with life. This suggests that the environmental changes will be more substantive than "Set old continents on fire." I am a little concerned that people that start playing after the expansion will not be able to remember how the environments were before, and so they will not be able to appreciate the sudden change. But really, if you aren't playing WOW already, you probably won't be playing anytime soon. I'm going to hold off on coming up with a final opinion on this until I've actually played the game.

New Races - This one surprised me. I kinda thought that Blizzard would cool it with the new races after they bumped it up to ten. Still, I always figured that, if new races were introduced after BC, it was likely that one of them would be goblins. Honestly, for the longest time, I've kinda wanted to play as a goblin, so this is good news for me. The worgen took me off guard, thoguh. It just seems random. The other added races are steeped in Warcraft lore (Blood Elves used to be High Elves; Draenei played a role in previous games; Goblins have been in Warcraft since the second game). But worgen are... the bad guys from Shadowfang Keep. Oh, well. Maybe I'll name mine Yiffmaster and tease people about making "baby furs". ;)

Level Cap Raised to 85 - I expected a cap raise, but this is the first time it was under ten. I don't have any characters that are at level 80 yet, so this won't effect me for a while. It makes sense that the cap keeps getting raised to accomodate new content, so this is probably the least controversial change.

New Race/Class Combonations - This one reeks of balance issues. I always liked the way the classes were set up. It seemed right that tauren couldn't be Rogues, but were the only Horde race that could be Druids. I think this change could be a little too disruptive to the way the game is played.

So Blizz, where's my customizable dances? I demand a troll that can do the

I uninstalled WoW for school in the fall :( Gotta study study study. I really do want to play Cataclysm though.

My workload this semester isn't too bad, I may reactivate my WoW account when it comes out. Or maybe I'll play Aion instead.

nooooooooo

/me slaps the mouse out of your hand

DONT DO IT! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!