*Official* petition to change the LAN settings for COD/Halo!

I just heard about the rules/settings for this up comming LAN, which is basically 4v4 random teams. The way this works is teams are chosen randomly then whatever team wins moves on to the next round where teams are randomly chosen again until eventually it comes down to a 1v1 to determine the winner of that game. I personaly think that it drastically takes away from me and others wanting to participate in these tournaments b/c it seems to up to chance and takes away from practice and skill when wanting to come to this tourney to win. Honestly why change something that works. Halo has been 2v2 teams for the last 3 tourneys and the amount of ppl who come has steadily increased everytime. I also think we should make the COD 4 tourney a 3v3/4v4. I believe more ppl will come knowing they have a team rather than going to be randomly put on a team with ppl they dont know.

If you agree please post your thoughts here and sign your name. If you disagree plz also respond with why you think we should keep the rules the same.

Thank you, Casey

Edited by ExiLe

Honestly, I'm still against the completely random set because people also come to play with their friends, especially people that they came to the LAN with. Why do we think it'll provide a GOOD experience for people if they never get to play with their friends?

If 4v4 - have people sign up with pairs if they choose.

- Signed, Oh Malley

Edited by H2O Oh Malley

Yes as previously stated, why change what works? Also the idea of random teams is horrible. I don't know of very many people who would come to the tournament if they knew it was going to be random teams. At least for me I know for a fact that I will not come to the lan if the teams are going to be random. As for the other settings such as mlg or not I don't care. But 4v4 random teams?.....no.

- Signed, Bever

Edited by Akuzan

If anyone remembers we tried this a couple years ago and it SUCKED it was not nearly as fun as going in with a buddy or even FFA for that matter. you will also screw people over by assigning them a random team member that leaves or goes to play another game and then the whole team is DQ'd or at a handycap.

signed

-tF Freezer

I come to win. To do anything less would be a waste of time.

I'd say that having fun is an excellent use of time. However, I am a little confused as to why we are changing the way teams are set up. What exactly was the problem with the way things were done in the past?

I'm entirely opposed to the idea of random teams. I know for the most part I come to these LANs to play with friends, some of which travel just to compete with their friends. The way things have been done in the past worked, going 4v4 teams, or sticking to the 2v2 format is perfect as is. The whole random set-up defeats the purpose of tournaments all together.

Signed

- H2o Omen

I personally like the idea of making it easier for newbs to get into these tournaments and have more fun, and im all for trying new ideas out SO LONG as they dont screw stuff up, that is why i asked casey to start this petition so you guys could voice your opinions.

I personally think we should have a little randomization along with teams, so we have the best of both worlds, so my idea is to have teams of two come in, and get randomized into a four man team so its 4 v 4 until the end when the last two 2 man teams face off.

The plans are to still have total randomization across both games, but please consider these things in your future posts:

-sign whether or not you you agree with this petition or not, and please reason why

-tell which of these two games, if any, you are FOR A FACT going to be a part of come Oct 31. As Xbox 360 Leader my main focus is going to be the participating players (but i will take all opinions into consideration in the end)

-tell how you stand on my new half randomized idea above

Personally I like that you are looking outside of the box for new ideas but why change something that has almost always worked. I know some change may make things better but from a lot of experience at lans this idea of randomizing or semi-randomizing will not be very fun. Some groups of two will have great partners that know how to play and do well and others that don't won an xbox and are just playing to pass the time. How is that fair? Also as mentioned by others, what happens when someone or all of the other half of your team doesn't show up or other various problems. When you play with friends you can be assured that many of these problems will not happen. Also as you can see most if not all of the players that are opposing this actually play in the halo tournaments and have for many years. Also as previously stated I will not come to the lan and I know of a few others that will also nnot come to the lan if halo and such are set up this way. But again I do enjoy that you are looking for better ways to make this fun for all but personally I do not think this is the right way. I speak only for the Halo side but from what I have played of COD the random or even half random teams would be more painful then fun.

I know the pc side has done it for a while but you can't run pc and console the same way. A fair amount of people who come to the lans to play console just show up out of the blue or come to play with friends. The vast majority of the pc individuals probably own the games they are going to be playing and I may be mistaken but instead of a team winning in the pc games you base who goes on by how they did individually. In halo it takes a number of shots to kill someone so someone could possibly leave a game with 0 kills and 20 assists and not move on. But as I assume how it will be run as you get one group of two place them with another and then play. Halo is a team game and splitting everyone up is kind of odd and does not make much since seeing as no one has really given a reason why apart from it will help the new people... If someone gives a sound reason then this might work but as of now its just an odd idea of which I have never heard of being done with a console game such as halo.

Edited by Akuzan

In all fairness the PC teams are random and balanced based on skill. The last few TF2 tournaments were a TON of fun because all the teams were randomized to the same skill levels. One team may have had good offensive players but not good defensive players, or vice versa.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't think it's a good idea for consoles because with PC most of the players know each other and even the ones who come from off campus are regulars in the servers so it's the likelyhood of being on a team with complete strangers is extremely small. Consoles is the exact opposite.

i just dont understand why we should change something that has proven to be affective in the past. I aslo dont want the one time we finally have COD 4 it be a bad experience b/c of these rules. Something that is also in the back of my mind is that new rule stating games with the lowest two particpations will get the boot for the next tourney and having these rules i feel will cause less ppl to show and less ppl to play.

Definitely a bad idea. I entered the last Halo 3 tournament you guys tried this in thinking I was gonna play with a buddy; instead I was with three random strangers, getting the least kills/most deaths (except for one round where I was top, but someone on the other team complained about something and we had to restart) and overall I didn't have a fun time.

I think the way we have been running it has been fine, 2v2 has been drawing in more and more people. Eventually I would like to see 3v3 and 4v4 tourneys but once we have enough people where they can make their own teams. I don't think generating random teams would be that fun or successful. I do think that we should start having COD tourneys, whether it be 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4 I think it would be fun.

• 11 months later...