Sign in to follow this  
FTE Kaz-Ka

Emergency Meeting 10/22/09

This is...amusing, to say the least. WCU Gaming doesn't answer to SGA, never has, probably never will. If the console gamers are dead set on killing the club, then by all means, continue on this path. If not, get your head out of the sky and think about what you are doing.

How many good people have been driven off because of actions such as these.

Secondly, josrocket, say your piece, stop stirring up needless drama, and move on. (Modified - I misread the minutes, fail on my part.)

Finally, this place is about creating a community. It is about having fun. It is about bringing students to WCU.

----

I would have gone to WCU had I found this place a year before I did, unfortunately, I didn't, and so that was off of the table. I did however, dump hundreds of hours of my time and hundreds of dollars of my personal money into this club, trying to help it grow, succeed, and be better.

If after everything, Adam talks me into coming back, and you guys throw it down the toilet, while I won't be happy, at least I will be given an out before I again spend too much of my little remaining free-time doing things here.

Think before you act. What to you may seem to be a small detail, may cause long-lasting reprecussions and start a downward spiral thats hard to pull out of.

it seems like the only people posting are ones which are totally against this? And then there are the couple who are neutral. Am i missing something here?

I am no where near a member. Yet I have also put tons of time trying to make the club a better place. Not only have i devoted tons of hours creating a pleasant place to play on the 1.6 server, but I have also helped create layouts for the TF2, and gungame.

If the alumni are driven away, I would naturally follow. That's not saying much, but I don't think I'm speaking for myself. 90 percent of the online community would also follow suit. A closed community is what you(the accusers) all really want? Think on a bigger scale for a second, getting a nice community on campus is great, but building one that is on a national scale opens up all kinds of possibilities. You are essentially going to be destroying an already nationally known club to something that is, well not. It isn't going to take months to fix that, but YEARS.

edit:

my mistake. Make that an Internationally known community.

Edited by NuRayZ

Well, this is interesting to say the least. I'm going to have to re-read through this once more to formulate a post worthy for discussion but as of right now I'm getting a very strong vibe that of which Adam Josey just brought up: the eradication of PC gaming on WCU's campus entirely. From what I can read, ManlyMoose brought up an example of how things went awry with JAS (though didn't explain how) and because some immature wanna-be /b/-tards joined and wanted to post stupid *edited* on our forums, our Alumni Exec's banned them in the interest for the club. Now after being banned these members are acting like children and whining like 13 year olds playing Halo on XBL about being banned and unfortunately they are being heard, instead of just being scolded and told "that's what you get for being a little kid." Were these children apart of JAS and now since they faced some consequences, they decided to try and have us face some as well?

I'll definitely come back and post something else more worth-while in a bit, as I know I've been absent from these boards and partially from the club for quite too long, but even as a student still here at WCU (SUPER SENIOR'S HOOOOOO) and considered part of the Alumni, it would still effect myself way too much.

Edited by Fascist Flakes (Jagr)

On a short note, Please do not change the meeting. This is a meeting concerning the work of the Alumni and the club. I need you to call me directly when you get off of class and take a breath. I am sure we can fix all of this.

I think there are some things that need to be brought to your attention about some current members we have and how much value their opinion actually hold. If my assumptions are right then it wont take more than 10 mins.

I agree with Adam this topic has brought too much attention to just not have a meeting now. Obviously this situation is only gonna get worse if we delay working it out so I suggest you keep the meeting for this Thursday.

Im still going to cancel this meeting since the LAN is next week, I dont need this drama, Im already stressed out enough as it is [we can talk about this in 2 weeks at the meeting after the LAN.]. Everything seems to have gotten out of hand and I think some of you are missing the point here. All I heard proposed was this:

If people on campus show an interest in taking over the duties of the Alumni (keeping the server up and what not), then we should let them. You guys seemed open to teaching people how to do these things in the beginning of the year so what changed? And Im not saying we dont need help from outside sources, because we do (Liam [welcome back buddy], Adam, Mitch all of you) BUT this is the WCU Gaming Club for the students of the school, and they should be able to learn how to do the things you guys do and do them if they want to.

I dont know where all this "your trying to destroy the PC side of the club" came from. Come on guys, stop over-reacting. My concern as far as this goes is that you guys seem too focused on people NOT here at Western and just your over all numbers. And we have advertised the servers, if you dont believe me look at our general fliers that we hung up last semester and at the beginning of this year (thanks Ephraim). And I tell people and get others to tell people to spread the word of the server, so I dont know what else to do.

So everyone just chill out, I'll straighten things out here on campus and you guys just chill out here on the forums.

That's fine but you are changing your story

First, this was called an "Emergency Meeting" and you originally said "some people and execs are not very happy with all of the power the Alumni Advisers that do not go to this school anymore have", not "If people on campus show an interest in taking over the duties of the Alumni (keeping the server up and what not), then we should let them." I agree with this entirely and I know we all do; of course if students are willing to learn this stuff we will be happy to teach them and we would prefer for the students to do the work anyways. That just isn't the same as what josrocket was trying to sell, which was "all people that no longer attend the school should not have the ability to ban accounts, change code on website, delete posts, and they certainly should never have passwords and what not to access main control over the website. Only students should have these powers. This would result in all old alumni memebers to lose access to various things"

Kaz, you started this topic as something urgent that needed attention immediately. Leaving it at "everyone chill, I got this" isn't very reassuring.

Did you call Adam yet?

no he hasn't yet but i am sure he will, maybe looking for the number. 910 489 6376 or 910 897 5542 and if you must 888 999 9329 <-- toll free.

Just don't dial ext. 104 on that 888 number.

BUT this is the WCU Gaming Club for the students of the school, and they should be able to learn how to do the things you guys do and do them if they want to.

This club most certainly is not for the students of the school. This club was meant to be nothing more than a recruitment tool. What the on campus students get are nothing more than side benefits of the primary goal of the club. If outside influence helps recruit new students, that's the way it needs to be.

Which one of the current on campus executives:

1) designed the website front page

2) designed and installed the website forum

3) talked to Keith Corzine about aquiring the current Gaming Club server TRON

4) installed any of the game servers

5) registered the irc channel

6) got the initial equipment from WCU IT

7) ever designed a theme for the website

8) paid for the IPB forum out of their own cash?

The answer is that not one of you has done anything for this club that hasn't been handed to you. The club needs these people and will not survive without them. Josh can barely turn on a TV, much less code a php backend. Giving him access is a bigger security risk than giving it to Kevin Mitnick himself.

Also, SGA does NOT have the power to "break-up" WCU Gaming. They have the power to stop funding. How much money are you making from entry fees? Who pays for the food? SGA is running a power play because a few children thought that it would be funny to attack WCUG with this "anonymous is legion" bull*edited* and because the current administration doesn't actually look at the rules and regulations themselves and takes everything they hear from whatever source as law. They've been scared into this point, it has nothing to do with what they feel is right.

ITT WCUG begins to die.

Edited by Kuros

Ok everyone I just got off the phone with Adam and here is what is going to happen.

1. No one is losing their position. I believe that everyone misinterpreted what I have been trying to say in this thread,I never intented to let this sort of message off, which is why I wanted to hold a meeting to discuss it in the first place (I dont like dealing with these sort of things in the forums, I've been told I sometimes come off as hostile even though Im not meaning to lol). My intention for the meeting was to get the Alumni and concerned people to talk it out and see if we could all come to a consensus about what needed to be done. I tried to stay neutral for this because I wanted to understand how the Alumni feel about this and now I do. However, I did not prevent the constant berating and name calling on here, and for that I feel as if I have failed and I am sorry. But anyway no one is losing thier positions.

2. If we do have some interest from people here at WCU about running things, I am going to send them to an advisor to teach them (if they really want to do this). So now Im hoping that you guys are ready to teach some people how to do the stuff you do!

Well that seems about it, Adam if I forgot anything or didnt pharse something right do correct me. Oh and if anyone has any questions about anything else, feel free to shoot me a message. And if it isnt obvious, we arent going to have the meeting Thursday lol. Take care everyone.

I've been told I sometimes come off as hostile even though Im not meaning to lol

You are far from hostile man. Never blew your lid this whole time, takes a lot to keep that kind of coolness. You seem more like a soft teddy bear. And I mean that in a good way. lol Anyway glad to see everything was resolved!

Cheers!

Edited by NuRayZ

I think we should just forget about this issue for the next two weeks or so. That way we can concentrate on making the LAN work. The controversy can wait. If nothing else, we can cool down a while.

I've been told I sometimes come off as hostile even though Im not meaning to lol

I personally imagine everyone on the forum sounding in a tone related to their avatar.

Thus,

- you look/sound kinda aggressive and *edited*ed off

- nurayz looks/sounds like a baby

- masterp looks/sounds like a nerd

I personally imagine everyone on the forum sounding in a tone related to their avatar.

I'm black...

Thus,

- raven looks/is awesome in 80s gear

Fixed.

i had to turn avatars off for this very reason, i can judge people now.

ok i lied, it was b/c i like to view the forums from work and images of pokemon is a signal to anyone walking by that theirs a good chance im not researching. lol

but it gets better, i still change mine every now and then, my next one will be this image of me winning the national spelling b http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/01/spelling.jpg

seriously, srly.

Thus,

oh what the hell lol

go crash in a race or something. I'm changing my avatar now rofl

Great then I must look like a dildo lol, according to what I was told today. Though i will admit MS Paint isnt the best tool to make an avatar in. On a more serious tone my opinon has changed towards this topic after reading this post in its entirity. Im getting really tired of the Console Gamers want to kill the PC side attitude, Shingi and Ephraim were nothing but supportive of Alumni rights. Also SGA is not the enemy of early years. Our advisor is strongly involved in SGA, and now that Mike Correli is in charge of the whole Leadership Program on campus alot has changed since the days of Bart Andrus. I was on the Financial Committe of SGA my freshman year and as a matter of fact Gaming Club was one of the few organizations that actually got what they asked for, and I remember they were giving the exec the run around at that time. SGA does have it faults and im not trying to be a bleeding heart saying everything they do is right, but as far as money goes these days at WCU everyone it tighting their belt. I dont really understand anything mitch said but I would like to learn and I know it wont be instant or easy, I just dont want to have the Alumni have to fix every minor detail. You guys have done alot for this organization and in most cases above and beyond that which was expected. You deserve a lil' R&R every now and then. These of course my own opinions and if they upset you then thats your prerogative.

On a more serious tone my opinon has changed towards this topic after reading this post in its entirity. Im getting really tired of the Console Gamers want to kill the PC side attitude, Shingi and Ephraim were nothing but supportive of Alumni rights.

Kill it as in how? Just curious is all.

On a more serious tone my opinon has changed towards this topic after reading this post in its entirity. Im getting really tired of the Console Gamers want to kill the PC side attitude, Shingi and Ephraim were nothing but supportive of Alumni rights.

Kill it as in how? Just curious is all.

He is referring to some of the responses in this thread. He didn't like the "attitude" that was portrayed. The "attitude" was Console people want to kill the PC side. And I believe Thor is right. I am technically console since that is mostly what I play but I love the PC side just as much and both sides make up the entirety of the club.