Sign in to follow this  
Real Communist

HALP WIN XP PROBLEM =]

So thursday night i decided to clean up to my pc because cs was crashing, was getting filled up with *edited* and i was planning on re-installing soon anyways.

I run this CRAPPY program Ncleaner (LINK: http://www.nkprods.com/ncleaner/). I realized some DESKTOP icons disapeared, and i was like WTF? The program deleted some icons on my desktop.

So im like somethign wierd is goin on, so i restore to yesturday (wednsday)

When it restarts i get soem BOOT eror, now i cant boot into WIN XP

I really need to because i need to take care of some files, save lotsa work and stuff.

I know you guys can help me write likea new "boot" thingy.

I also installed WIN 7 on my other hard drive so i can at least access internet some how for you guys can help me.

FYI: this is the only forum i come to for help and i love you guys cause you always help me out.

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for some misspelling im really tired.

I have WIN XP disk so i can go into repair and type anything so i can boot into Win xp again, ANY WAY PLZ help TY <3

Whats the boot error you get?

There are about a thousand different error codes, each with their own solution, so telling us you get "soem BOOT eror" isn't descriptive enough for us to give advice.

Btw if you used System Restore you won't get any of your files back. It only saves OS files and viruses, not personal content.

Well first it was

"Error cannot boot, Take ur xp cd and run fix"

I tried doing it and *edited*ed around with it and now it was BEFORe i installed WIN 7,

like Cannot find BOOTNTLDR or something like that

Can i some how like delete whole BOOT file, and re write it through "repair"?

You could before you installed Windows7. Now your options are much more limited.

What is the error code you are getting? It should be in the format 0x0000007b.

i just rememberd i took a picture

THe Eror was /Boot/BCD

But then i went to repair

and tried to repair and failed

the the eror was much simpler

It was missing ntldr

Click ALT+DELETE+SHIFT to restart

Edited by Pacsunn

Ive been doing some reading and i read that WIn Xp uses boot.ini to start

Win VISTA/7 uses BCD.... SO

ALSO my HD that has Xp is DUAL BOOTED WITH Win7

So when i ran Ncleaner it deleted or currupted win 7 on ma win XP HD

so its win 7's fault.

WHen i have both hd's in it says NTLDR is missing.

Edited by Pacsunn

It isn't Windows7's fault that you were dualbooting 2 OS's off the same HD and then ran an unknown cleanup program from inside the lesser OS.

Take all HDs out except the one that had XP/Win7. Boot to the Windows7 install DVD and at the main screen hit Next, then Repair your computer. The installer will then scan for windows installations. When it's done scanning hit Next then use the Startup Repair tool. It should scan for problems, like a missing BCD, and either repair the existing one or create a new one if it's missing or corrupt.

NTLDR should be missing because Windows7 takes over the entire boot process and since it doesn't need the WinXP boot files it removes them to prevent the computer from accidentally using the WinXP boot manager instead of the Windows7 BCD. Depending on how much of the WindowsXP and Windows7 installations were corrupted you may end up having to reinstall both OS's.

Well i did that and it did not work. SO What im just going to do to stop giving everyoen headaches, im going to save all the files i need from ma hard drive, Then delete EVERTHING. THen im going to install vista :D

Win7 does gaming the exact same as Vista. If there's any change it's for the better.

If you're playing CS/CSS/TF2 there is no difference at all. Newer games should actually see an improvement in performance because Win7 is a ligher OS.

The only time a game would get worse is if your drivers are bad.

Lol, i decided to stick With Xp :P

THanks anyways :D

Windows 7 is repackaged Windows Vista with bug fixes.

Windows 7 is far superior to Windows XP.

Reinstall Windows 7 and choose to NOT format your hard drive and your files will be there.

If you aren't comfortable with doing that, go pay the geek squad. They are there for people like you.

there's a way to do this if you only need into your XP partition (it will allow read/write access to 7/vista partitions, but not boot them until you redo their bootloaders)

requirements:

winXP CD

take out all drives but XP drive, just to reduce confusion

boot to the winXP cd, and go to the recovery console.

2 commands you need to run, once you log in (should hopefully be able to log into the XP system on your drive, if not, you could be in trouble):

1 - `fixmbr`

2 - `fixboot`

should have XP booting again. I've done this before several times when purging Vista from my hard drive. I think this is how it works :D

Edited by Falcon

Note that he's already reinstall...

'twas noted, but I suggest that as a reference for anyone searching across the forums, to hopefully keep the recurrences of questions down :D

Lol, i decided to stick With Xp :P

THanks anyways :D

Windows 7 is repackaged Windows Vista with bug fixes.

Windows 7 is far superior to Windows XP.

Reinstall Windows 7 and choose to NOT format your hard drive and your files will be there.

If you aren't comfortable with doing that, go pay the geek squad. They are there for people like you.

I dont agree.

I just dont like the feel of windows 7.

Ill stick with XP.

And im not mentally challenged, i built this pc so dont treat me like one..

Edited by Undisputed

Win7 is simply a large service pack upgrade with an improved UI and tons of bugfixes.

When you strip away all the pretties there's really not much new going on under the hood.

It's a little contradictory, I know.

You tell the idiot anything you need to get them to install Windows7 because you know once they have it they're much less likely to be asking you to fix a bluescreen or crash.