Sign in to follow this  
distemper

Game Cam Recording Software?

OMG FRAPZ

Well, that seems to be the definite, obvious answer.

But, since I avoid buying things on the internet, I refuse to buy fraps, but I also refuse to pirate software. Is there something like fraps I can use, but that I can also purchase in say... BestBuy?

I tried all the free alternatives to fraps but they just either: A) Crash the game B) Get me kicked by anti-cheat C) Lag my computer to oblivion.

But, since I avoid buying things on the internet, I refuse to buy fraps, but I also refuse to pirate software. Is there something like fraps I can use, but that I can also purchase in say... BestBuy?

No. There might be some no-name stuff but nothing that comes anywhere near the level of FRAPS.

I tried all the free alternatives to fraps but they just either: A) Crash the game B) Get me kicked by anti-cheat C) Lag my computer to oblivion.

That's why everyone says run FRAPS. That's also why FRAPS costs money, they have a really good program with virtually no real competitors.

meh for some games it's real easy to just use fraps for ur frag vids and cut off the fraps *edited* like ... widescreen letterbox that *edited*

DRUNK

aNO NO NONO NONO NO NO no no nonon ono non no no no - SHAY labuffffff

DRUNK

What about them? They won't capture video from your computer and decent ones cost twice as much as FRAPS.

Capture cards won't capture video from my computer? Really? There's nothing like the capture cards that work for the PS3 or the Xbox 360, only for PC?

Again, the reason why I won't buy from the internet or fraps is the lack of a credit card. So, it's not an option, at all.

Capture cards don't capture video from your computer, at all.

And wtf are you talking about with PS3/XBOX?

My bad, I guess. I don't know much about this stuff, but apparently, with the XBox or the PS3, you can "capture" your gameplay from a TV screen and transfer that to your computer using a capture card. What I was hoping was that it would work with a regular LCD screen as well. Guess not.

Unless you can tell me how that works I can't tell you whether or not the same thing will work with PCs.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

I actually went on Machinima's forums earlier today, and it seems like capture cards do work with PCs, since people have several posts that imply that they have video captured using capture cards.

I need to finish a paper at the moment, but, if I find out something interesting, a hardware alternative to Fraps would certainly be interesting, since even Fraps can take a toll on framerate on weaker systems when recording.

Even the best TV capture cards for PC are very low quality and very CPU intensive. The quality is fine for the likes of youtube but anything higher than 480i is not common and definately isn't possible when playing and recording on the same machine.

Seriously, just buy FRAPS. Even if you want a TV tuner you can't get decent ones locally so you're going to have to buy online anyway.

A few comments at random:

I've not found many good solid capture cards, but yes I do believe the assertion is correct, that they do not capture from the computer (unless you use s-video out of your video card and pipe it right back into the video capture) - they're more for external sources, like TV.

I don't know how it works, but I would consider it possible that the (I've not seen one recently) ATI all-in-wonder, since it captured input AND was a video card, might possibly do its work without crushing the CPU. Just you'd be crushing your GPU, which still impairs its ability to capture PC gaming, since it'll crush the game's performance.

One possibility for credit carding for online purchases without a real credit card is to look into the prepaid gift card market. I know at least VISA does this, and their prepaid cards will do just fine and dandy online. However, there may be cost overhead, and the card company might insist you divulge personal information to accompany the gift card, since the original activation of the card was not tied to you, for purposes mostly developed in response to credit card fraud for real credit cards. I don't like them, but in a pinch it might just do the trick, if you're really wanting to purchase things online.

All in wonders don't have video input anymore and havent for a while. Even way back they could never do both simultaneously. Unless 1 FPS ingame was ok...