Sign in to follow this  
FTE Kranchan

We Should Set Up A Minecraft Free Build Server!

I'm not setting up a alpha-release quality java-based server to run as a system service. That's like asking for things to go wrong.

Freezer can do this if he wants but I wouldn't feel comfortable touching that until it hits at least beta-quality. It may be perfectly fine on your machine but on server08 with 30+ other game servers going we can't really predict what it'll do.

We're looking into setting up a set of VM servers on the box to help isolate problem servers that crash alot. If we get this going we could definately host this game on one of those. Not against this, just don't think it's a great idea at this moment.

Yes, the server admins directly held accountable for maintaining the brand new $5000 server are too scared to load an early alpha, java based game. We'll just ignore that its own developers state that it's unstable. Running java server applets with admin elevation is dangerious enough as it is and you want to take it even deeper? Yeah, we're total *edited*.

Protip: when you run it on your POS windows xp machine it's not running as a system service. It's running as a standard application in the user space of the operating sysstem. How you're running it and how we would have to run it are completely different. Resources are managed differently, permissions are managed differently, network access is managed differently, not to mention program stability is completely different. Any crash or instability would bleed over and affect the entire OS whereas on your laptop it would just slow the game down.

Not to mention java doesn't work out of the box on Windows Server 08 x64. You have to do a *edited* ton of work to make it work and even if we did that it's unlikely we could even get a Java applet to run as a system service because the individual applets have to be run by the main Java runtime like a media player loading a movie, something that to my knowledge isn't possible as a system service on server08, at least not without some serious modifications. On the old server it'd be easy, server03 didn't really care what you did behind the scenes.

So yeah before you hop up on your high horse and parade yourself about as some sort of server admin or guru get a *edited*ing clue and learn why and how *edited* works. I recommend starting with a server book because you obviously need to learn the basics.

EDIT: Here, I found you some reading material. Once you're done, come back and talk about how to run servers.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Book.aspx?ID=11759&locale=en-us

For all the non-pompous people who were discussing this in a civil and polite manner:

Once the IP transfer is made we'll toss a VM on and get at least one server for this game going. Do they have a recommended OS for hosting this?

I think im going to save up and get that certification kit lol. oh and if there is still intrest in this game once we can get some VMs on the server ill put it up.