I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that PETA is retarded.

As much as I hate to agree, this whole argument couldn't be better summed up than by this.

Also, how exactly do animals suffer before they die? It's typically extremely quick and efficient.

It's not like they stand there with a hammer and beat them to death...

true, but when you're all about saving animals and "finding better homes for the less fortunate ones", then turn around and euthanize in the 97 percentile, that's kinda *edited*ed up. I'm all for euthanasia, lord knows we got too many strays out there, but what PETA is doing is lying and collecting money while killing the animals they say they are going to save. 24 million in donations and they only could find homes for a hand full of animals??? How bout they stop spending money on death vans and buy a *edited*ing acre to put some of the pets they claim they are saving. Or just come out and say your plan is to eliminate all the stray animals in the world and stop with the front.

but keep the naked chicks in cage stunts, those are always awesome.

Edited by NuRayZ

You've never heard people talk (or joke) about clubbing baby seals? Sounds like they're getting beaten to death to me.

I didn't mean suffering from the way in which they're killed; I meant the miserable conditions they live in before they're slaughtered.

Not everyone utilizes practices to minimize suffering during the slaughter. I've seen videos of raccoons being skinned alive instead of being killed first. I'm sure there are other animals that aren't knocked unconscious or stunned prior to butchering.

When baby seals are killed by any predator they are similarly "beaten to death", I am not saying it isn't cruel, but it isn't really anything different than what has been happening for thousands of years. Same for fish, most predators will beat them before consumption. It's a wicked world we live in...

Fun Fact:

Back in 2003, a group of Palestinian terrorists attached a bunch of explosives to a donkey in an attempt to blow up Isreali civilians. The bombs went off before the donkey reached the target, killing nobody but the animal. Ingrid Newkirk, the president of PETA, then issued the following statement to Palestinian chairman, Yasser Arafat:

"Your Excellency, We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing. If you have the opportunity, will you please add to your burdens my request that you appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of the conflict?"

Later that year, the Washington Post asked her if she would condemn Pallestinian terrorists attempting to kill humans too. Newkirk responded by saying:

"It's not my business to inject myself into human wars."

Same for fish, most predators will beat them before consumption. It's a wicked world we live in...

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been scientifically proven that fish are missing the part of the brain that allows the sensation of pain.

Same for fish, most predators will beat them before consumption. It's a wicked world we live in...

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been scientifically proven that fish are missing the part of the brain that allows the sensation of pain.

Sounds right to me!

When baby seals are killed by any predator they are similarly "beaten to death", I am not saying it isn't cruel, but it isn't really anything different than what has been happening for thousands of years. Same for fish, most predators will beat them before consumption. It's a wicked world we live in...

I think predators are more efficient in killing their prey. They aim to kill it for food, not beat its head so that they don't damage the fur. Also, I don't think that seals' natural predators are hunting only the babies and en masse to wear them.

I'm okay with hunting, but not for sport. Wearing fur is okay, too, if they need it; not cuz it's luxurious. If you're killing animals for survival, like if you're in the wild and you're cold and hungry, I'm okay. But I don't think you need it, or hunting for sport is cool, if you're a fat guy well-fed with a gun and a hunting outfit.

Fun Fact:

Back in 2003, a group of Palestinian terrorists attached a bunch of explosives to a donkey in an attempt to blow up Isreali civilians. The bombs went off before the donkey reached the target, killing nobody but the animal. Ingrid Newkirk, the president of PETA, then issued the following statement to Palestinian chairman, Yasser Arafat:

"Your Excellency, We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing. If you have the opportunity, will you please add to your burdens my request that you appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of the conflict?"

Later that year, the Washington Post asked her if she would condemn Pallestinian terrorists attempting to kill humans too. Newkirk responded by saying:

"It's not my business to inject myself into human wars."

It looks like recent studies are showing they might.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100112090126.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430161242.htm

its been known that certain predatory mammals play with their food before killing/eating it.

Just look at the killer whales. they drown baby humpback whales by forcing under water. It literally drowns to death, and all they do is eat some of the baby fat off it and leave it.

Or check out the leopard seal in Antarctica. They don't kill their prey (the penguin), they play with it until it dies or they are tired. They've even been known to immobilize one and attack more, basically making a sport out of it.

If you like cats you have no right to bash humans for the brutality we show towards prey.

Agreed.

So who is for cute kitty stories?

My cat once chewed the limbs off a vole and watched it die. It didn't even eat the corpse. SUCH A CUTE WITTLE KITTY!

its been known that certain predatory mammals play with their food before killing/eating it.

Just look at the killer whales. they drown baby humpback whales by forcing under water. It literally drowns to death, and all they do is eat some of the baby fat off it and leave it.

Drowning isn't playing with their food before eating it, though. That's how they're killing the whales. And I doubt that's how the hunt goes every time -- eating just some of the fat off of it? I read that they eat 500lbs daily. Seems like a waste if they didn't eat more of it. Was this an isolated incident? I haven't found anything so far that says they only eat bits of a whale and leave the rest of it. This NatGeo video (here) says that this whale calf will feed the pod of killer whales for a week.

Also, you can't figuratively drown to death in the ocean.

If you like cats you have no right to bash humans for the brutality we show towards prey.

I read that cats "play" with their prey because their prey may take a defensive stance and the cat is playing it safe. It doesn't go for a full-on attack out of self-preservation. You're comparing animal instinct with killing for profit (assuming you're referring to the baby seal thing).

Keep the other things I said in mind because they are relevant. I'm not against the slaughter of animals or eating meat. I just think it should be done in a way that causes less suffering. In a previous post, I said that I was referring to the conditions that the animals live in before being slaughtered. Not only do I not think it's right to have any creature living in such *edited* poor conditions, the quality of the meat is also better when the animals aren't stressed. Om nom nom.

Or check out the leopard seal in Antarctica. They don't kill their prey (the penguin), they play with it until it dies or they are tired. They've even been known to immobilize one and attack more, basically making a sport out of it.

I don't know if this is the same as the cat thing, but I did find this:

The leopard seal is bold, powerful and curious. In the water, there is a fine line between curiosity and predatory behavior, and it may 'play' with penguins that it does not intend to eat.

I've thought about going vegetarian before, because I do care about animal rights and do feel bad about eating meat at times, but its just so *edited* good so I don't care anymore. That being said, I think PETA is *edited*ing retarded and so do a lot of my vegetarian friends. The only people I know of who think PETA is a decent organization are vegans. I hate vegans.

• 3 months later...