Never really liked MGS, mainly due to the whole 3rd person thing. Played the original on PC and some of Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, neither were terribly exciting compared to other stealth and PC shooters at the time. While the PC and Gamecube had better FP and 3P shooters at the time, the Playstation did not and I think that's why the series has been so successful. Kojima's plot writing was a little excessive as well, and still is.

Then again, I really liked the original Rainbow Six games, the ones that made you actually use stealth, made you take your time, and had realistic damange IE you die in 1 chest hit instead of crouching behind a magically bullet-proof wooden desk for 10 seconds while you auto-heal.

"I'mma let you finish, but Hideo Kojima is one of the best story-tellers of all time."

Seriously though the man is a genius when it comes to telling a story. I will admit that the MGS series might not be for everyone, since a lot of times cinematics take up a lot of play time, but I personally enjoy that kind of stuff.

If you want a total immersion of MGS play MGS4 on the PS3 it is the only one that does the series complete justice as it has everything there. If you didn't like the series from the original though it is doubtful that you will ever like it.

Everybody has their own thing though and there are definitely some third-person shooters that I can't stand too, like I personally can't stand Gears of War 1 or 2, something about it I hate. Anyways, Red Dead Redemption multiplayer is genius and I love it, that is all.

Why you do you think that? There are plenty of reasons why one might not like his stories, but that doesn't mean he is a bad story teller. His stories are very in-depth and connections made across years of stories, from the first to the last.

MGS series is an action drama, and I love it.

But I am still curious why you feel that he isn't a good story teller, that quote was of course a joke, but yeah.

Edited by Bitey

I really don't want to get into this debate again. It just keeps popping up! The story of MGS is something you either love or hate, and nothing can really change that. If you absolutely must know, I find the plot itself very convoluted and over-complicated (nobody cares what triple-S stands for) which makes the overall anti-war/make your own destiny message hard to swallow. As for storytelling techniques, the plot-development and player-controlled sections of the game seem so seperate, that it feels like the two are competing for the player's attention. This is not the mark of good game design. I'm not opposed to story in games, but the plot should be seemlessly woven into the gameplay, not forced down the player's throat in ten-minutes cutscenes. What's more, the dialouge is just too melodramatic. I consider the Naomi Hunter monolouges from the ending of Twin Snakes (at least the one I got) to be one of the most poorly-written pieces of dialouge I have ever heard in a game. I just find the whole series piercingly over-rated. After Portable Ops, I stopped playing.

Admitedly,the Rising trailer looked pretty cool, but I have such little interestin the story that I might not get it.

OK, that is what I thought, and I understand. Not debating with you, just wanted to know why out of curiosity, I do find that most people that don't like the story-telling of Hideo Kojima tend to complain about the cut-scenes versus the game play and the over all story.

I get the connections made and the story in general, so to me it makes sense, but yeah like you said, you either love it or hate it and I respect your opinion of the latter. At least you gave it a try.

You know what game had the perfect blend of story telling, gameplay, and overall bad *edited*-ness?

Paper Mario.

That game is 1242352342134 more enjoyable than all the MSG series combined. Although, i did enjoy metal gear solid 2 back in the day.

OK, that is what I thought, and I understand. Not debating with you, just wanted to know why out of curiosity, I do find that most people that don't like the story-telling of Hideo Kojima tend to complain about the cut-scenes versus the game play and the over all story.

I get the connections made and the story in general, so to me it makes sense, but yeah like you said, you either love it or hate it and I respect your opinion of the latter. At least you gave it a try.

For what it's worth, I do like individual parts of the games. For example, the ending of MGS3 was really good. Also, the gameplay itself is pretty fun and there is a good sense of atmosphere troughout the series. Really , it's more that I don't like the general storyline and ther way it's told.

Also: