• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might have been the most amazing thing iv ever seen. Anyways it was to predictable and I though they needed kerrigan as the queen of blades cuz she gave the zerg choice. Didnt zeratul in his crystal say that she was the universes only hope for survival? Also start posting your ids so we can get some 4v4 action going

Edited by Citan001

Well her driving force was revenge not bloodlust. She was *edited*ed at mengsk for leaving her and she thinks raynor did the same. Did i catch that right that the xel'naga are part zerg part protoss? The protoss say the xelnaga made them and the zerg but then who made the terrans?

Well her driving force was revenge not bloodlust. She was *edited*ed at mengsk for leaving her and she thinks raynor did the same. Did i catch that right that the xel'naga are part zerg part protoss? The protoss say the xelnaga made them and the zerg but then who made the terrans?

terrans were decendents of a fleet of prison ships which warped into the zerg/protoss galaxy way back in the day; originally from earth. Unable to contact home (probably didn't want to anyway) they colonized 4 planets and yeah thats the terran.

I didn't feel as though the ending was very rushed at all, throughout the story of the game Raynor was upset and concerned with Kerrigan, it was a constant reminder for him and a motivational piece. The entire story was based around Raynor and Tychus fighting against Mengsk while collecting pieces of the Xelnaga artifacts, we just didn't know what the Xelnaga Artifact did. The revelation of it "saving" Kerrigan was a bit abrupt, I admit, they didn't seem to really know what exactly it would do just that it was extremely powerful. Sure it was kinda predictable with Kerrigan being saved, but that obviously doesn't mean that Kerrigan's role in the story is a done deal. It may be nothing but if you take a look at Kerrigan's hair at the end it still looks like that of the Queen of Blades' hair, in color as well as how it looks shape-wise.

I believe that Blizzard definitely knows what they're doing, they wouldn't have released the game if people were going to think that the story sucked or that the ending was rushed. While it may be semi-cliffhanger is definitely ties up a lot of the story while leaving plenty of room for the expansions.

The campaign will center on the infested Kerrigan's quest for power through mutations. The more power she has, the more Zerg she can control. The single-player is planned to play a bit differently than Wings of Liberty but we're not quite sure how yet. Lead designer Dustin Browder proposed that the player might use the Zerg armies to protect Kerrigan on the battlefield while she gains more power."
Source: Kotaku

There is obviously a lot of guessing that people have been doing and not much is known about "Heart of the Swarm" but I'm sure there will be plenty of story and done right from Blizzard, they haven't lacked in the story department on their games in a while. You knew you weren't going to get to play as Kerrigan during the terran portion of the game, why are you upset about the ending of this portion? Lol

terrans were decendents of a fleet of prison ships which warped into the zerg/protoss galaxy way back in the day; originally from earth. Unable to contact home (probably didn't want to anyway) they colonized 4 planets and yeah thats the terran.

I know they were convicts and what not but I though it was all just 1 galaxy. I dont recall ever reading/hearing that they warped into this strange new place. I though the ships crash landed on a random planet.

That ignores the Brood War campaigns. In them, Kerrigan stuck an alliance with Raynor, the protoss zealot Fenix, and Arcturus Mengsk to push the UED out of the Koprulu Sector. She used their puppet alliance to destroy the second overmind which returned full control of the zerg swarm back to her. Once she regained control, she turned the swarm against the terrans, UED, and protoss.

The Xel'naga are not in any way related to any of the other races in Starcraft. They are a completely seperate race that is much, much older than any of them. They "created" the protoss and zerg by manipulating their natural development. With the protoss they gave them relics, greatly increased their natural development, introduced themselves as "gods" and then when the protoss started to fight each other *edited*ed their pants and ran away. They then took the zerg, a small insect species, and gave them a couple million year evolution bump that eventually made them the dominant species on the planet and allowed them to assimilate other species. To prevent them from civil warring, they slaved the species to a hive mind (the Overmind) and kept watch over their progress via a hidden telepathic link. The zerg eventually captured a space faring creature, attacked the Xel'naga in orbit, did the whole zerg infest thing with most of them, and learned about the protoss. The Overmind was programmed specifically to assimilate the protoss, hence the constant warring between the zerg and protoss.

I know they were convicts and what not but I though it was all just 1 galaxy. I dont recall ever reading/hearing that they warped into this strange new place. I though the ships crash landed on a random planet.

I don't think warping was mentioned at all until SC2. The original "colonists" aka political prisoners were on sleeper ships. They're still in the same galaxy as Earth but are on the outer edge aka fringe, I think it was something like 60,000 LY from Earth. The 4 ships went their seperate ways but the ship that landed on Tarsonis had the fleet's AI and was able to get a technological head start over the other colonies. They colonized other planets and eventually conquered the other 2 colony empires. The fourth colony ship crash landed, killing most onboard so they never really took off as a colony.

One thing I found particularly interesting is that Raynor had already de-infested a human before by a simple injection. Why didn't they do that to Kerrigan? I mean yeah it's really nice to wipe out all life on their homeworld but removing Kerrigan's control of the swarm would have been just as effective.

You talking about SC2? In the last mission she never destroyed more than 1 or 2 units per attack, and those were always to her insta-kill ability. I had 7 siege tanks guarding the left pass and 6 on the right with 3 bunkers on both entrances with the +2 marine and guntower upgrades. To cover the rest I had 3 banshees and 2 wraiths watching my base and about 8 battlecruisers for taking on Kerrigan. The yamato cannon from 8-10 battlecruisers makes short work of her.

You talking about SC2? In the last mission she never destroyed more than 1 or 2 units per attack, and those were always to her insta-kill ability. I had 7 siege tanks guarding the left pass and 6 on the right with 3 bunkers on both entrances with the +2 marine and guntower upgrades. To cover the rest I had 3 banshees and 2 wraiths watching my base and about 8 battlecruisers for taking on Kerrigan. The yamato cannon from 8-10 battlecruisers makes short work of her.

I sir never though of using said yamato cannons. I always forget they are there but I took out the air platform in the second to last mission and i guess im the only one who had to restart the last mission on normal for failing that bad on it. Everyone else seems to have gotten through it ok but me :(

Yea the last mission was pretty cake for me, I had a sizable fleet of Battlecruisers with plenty of Banshee backups and siege tanks on any juts that could fire upon her. I had a couple of bunkers but mainly had perdition turrets incinerate anything that came close to the front. Kerrigan would come and destroy 1-2 siege tanks but wouldn't do much more than that.

Yamato cannons give Terrans an advantage that few take advantage of. A pair of battlecruisers can take out ANY turret in 1 volley. As few people focus heavily on air defense a group of 6-8 battlecruisers can wreak havoc on a base. Maybe not destroy it but while they're busy micromanaging a defense, you're busy building a replacement force and preparing for the next attack, or expanding if that is your desire. It's an expensive distraction but I've used that tactic in almost every RTS I've ever played and it works every time...

...unless you learned agressive turtle and bait-switch tactics from me in which case I move on to Plan B.

If you want to really brush up on your RTS skills, go play supreme commander. The AI is adaptive and can really give you a run for your money on the upper settings.

yeah only issue i have with battlecruisers is their gas price. a whopping 300 per ship. You could have at least 3 bases going all vespene capped X3 svc's and still run out of vespene cooking cruisers. Definitely worth every penny though.

i wouldn't leave my cruisers to die, not 6 or 7 of them if i know i can have them fall back.

Edited by NuRayZ

Kinda off topic but is there a way to turn off real id? I mean to me the old b net was prefect. I actually miss the random chat rooms and what not and im not thrilled that people can see me if im playing wow or wc3 or whatever.

That's why I got the automated refinery perk.

Kinda off topic but is there a way to turn off real id? I mean to me the old b net was prefect. I actually miss the random chat rooms and what not and im not thrilled that people can see me if im playing wow or wc3 or whatever.

Nope. You're locked into the lack of features that is Bnet2.

Rule of thumb for me, if I'm still alive 30 minutes in I'm going to win. 99% chance.

In Supreme Commander my allies would typically cover my defense b/c at the 20 minute mark I can kill 1 player every 5 minutes for the remainer of the game. If they donate resources to me it's around 10-12 minutes.

I can hardcore rush when I'm in the mood but I really don't like doing it.

If you have enough time to tech up to cruisers in SC2 then the person you're playing against is terrible. Within the first 5 minutes I'd put some pressure on you with a nice rush ;)

was doing 2v2 earlier and i was able to pump out a carrier in 6:22 i had 4 by 9 min and a mothership by 11.

When I first installed, I was hoping that we'd get to be able to create multiple accounts like on WoW -- whoever has us added on real ID would be able to message you no matter what account you were on, and then you could also just have a person add a particular account and they'd only see you on that one. I was annoyed to find that you can only create one. @_@ And if I'm wrong, I haven't seen an option to create another one yet -- but I suppose this would be moot anyway what with the "you have to use real ID" thing.

What's worse is that a friend on facebook has been harassing me to add him and to use the fb feature -- but I don't want to. He's... an okay guy... but I really don't like how Blizzard made it so *edited*ing easy for people to add me. The thing I liked about the old bnet was the anonymity. People could add you to their friends list, but they can't see what [private] channel you're in unless you were mutual friends. If they kept bothering you, you could ignore them. You could create another account if you wanted to play without them.

No one on my BL on bnet was someone I knew irl (originally. That's changed). I don't like playing with people I know irl. They're nubs. In like 9th grade, when I asked some guys from my HS to play, they played fastest map ever and said NR and tried to turtle. I rushed dts and killed almost everyone; the guy who got cannons first was saved and went CARRIERS. Anyway, fortunately, I made a separate account to play with them so I never had to see them (on bnet) again. I haven't gotten on bnet or read about it yet, so I don't know the specifics on certain things, but I speculate that people -- chiefly those I don't particularly like -- now have an easier way of finding me. FB integration and real ID? wtf.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what it looks like to me. I won't be on any time soon either, so I can't check it out. I actually wasn't considering getting it yet cuz I don't have a machine (or access to one now) that can run it well, but my boyfriend bought copies for us the morning it was released.

tl;dr: Blizzard *edited*ed me off.

I can't be beat the last level.... It's funny because I have had no issues playing on hard up until this level, even on normal the closest I have gotten is to 86 percent... I don't understand, I think I may just have the wrong upgrades for stuff heh... All I know is 8 Nydus Worms, plus no way to defend against them *edited*ing sucks... I feel like I am not doing things fast enough, or perhaps I don't have enough barracks to pump out Firebats... I haven't tried it yet, but I think next go round I am going to go basically all Firebats with a few medics, then enforce that line with marines and medics, and finally with some marauders. And in front of them some flame turrets.

inb4 siege tanks rock you noob. I didn't take the upgrade that makes them do 75% less damage to friendlies, so yeah my own siege tanks have rocked my face the past couple times I tried them. Instead like a *edited*ing idiot I upgraded my reapers, which I have not used AT ALL since the one mission where they were moderately important..... Still noob, but oh well

I kinda wish that I could make it so the siege tanks will only fire at distant targets, if I had that they would shoot at the *edited*ers in the back instead of at the little zerglings and in the process killing all of my men.

Edited by Bitey

i got no issue with the new bnet except for the fact that you can pause the *edited*ing game during a match. *edited* yesterday paused it for like 10 minutes, saying he had "important CIA business to take care of". That and during 4v4 it lags like crazy. (then again that was like the 2nd day after release, so it might be better)

Edited by NuRayZ

I can't be beat the last level.... It's funny because I have had no issues playing on hard up until this level, even on normal the closest I have gotten is to 86 percent... I don't understand, I think I may just have the wrong upgrades for stuff heh... All I know is 8 Nydus Worms, plus no way to defend against them *edited*ing sucks... I feel like I am not doing things fast enough, or perhaps I don't have enough barracks to pump out Firebats... I haven't tried it yet, but I think next go round I am going to go basically all Firebats with a few medics, then enforce that line with marines and medics, and finally with some marauders. And in front of them some flame turrets.

inb4 siege tanks rock you noob. I didn't take the upgrade that makes them do 75% less damage to friendlies, so yeah my own siege tanks have rocked my face the past couple times I tried them. Instead like a *edited*ing idiot I upgraded my reapers, which I have not used AT ALL since the one mission where they were moderately important..... Still noob, but oh well

I kinda wish that I could make it so the siege tanks will only fire at distant targets, if I had that they would shoot at the *edited*ers in the back instead of at the little zerglings and in the process killing all of my men.

Where do you place your siege tanks? Yes they are sexy on the hills overlooking the two choke points into your base, but they TK ALOT less if you place them in (as close as possible) to your infantry. They attack long range, and as soon as some baddies get near, you have the infantry to clean up. The tanks can't shoot close range during siege mode so your army should be safe from friendly fire. I would add bunkers or air support up on the hill and leave sieges down below.

Edited by NuRayZ

I didn't get that upgrade either. I re-ran the last mission yesterday and ended up with the following defense strategy:

Left pass: 10 siege tanks and 3 bunkers with 6 marines each, 1 SCV for repairs

Right pass: 8 siege tanks and 3 bunkers with 6 marines each, 1 SCV for repairs

Relic hill: just the 2 initial bunkers with the 6 marauders you start with

Base: 3 banshees and 3 wraith set to guard just east of the mercenary building.

Mobile defense: 9 battlecruisers

Construction config: 1 barracks, 2 factories, 3 starports, all of which had the tech reactor, 2 armory and 1 eng bay for upgrades (focus on weapons only)

I got that defense up and running by about 5-7% charge on the relic and it was extremely rare for the zerg to even get to a bunker. Once you have enough of them, the friendly fire from the siege tanks shouldn't be an issue. I lost 13 units to Kerrigan, almost all of them were tanks.

I'll run it again this afternoon and post some screenshots of where I put the tanks. Placement is key.

Also key are the battleships. When Kerrigan comes she'll tear a hole in even the strongest defense line and you'll need to use the battleships to plug the hole until replacement bunkers/tanks are built and deployed. It also helps to have the auto-repair perk for mechanican units, with it you can get away with alot riskier battleship tactics than you could otherwise. For instance, I got bored at around 50% and attacked the zerg's southwest base. Destroyed about half of it before Kerrigan came and I had to pull them back.