• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK last question who did you side with on the previous mission, Tychus or the General? I sided with the General so I have pretty much zero attacks from the air other than on one occasion where some overlords come in and poop on my bases infesting some little things that come out and start attacking my base. Ground defense is a whole new ball game, as every minute or two some Nydus Worms pop up and start releasing HUGE hordes of Zergling and those worms stay until I go and destroy them. So I am forced to use the banshees that I have, to go in and take out the worms, this works out pretty well for the most part, but eventually I can't even get to them due to the zerg air defenses. The most that have popped up at one time was 9, and from what I understand about Nydus Worms, the longer they stay up the more Zerglings the release and after a while they start releasing the stronger enemies like hydralisks and roaches. Any ideas on the defenses for that, I figure a combination of firebats, marines, medics, and bunkers as well as siege tanks placed in better locations should be enough to stave off the attacks on the ground which should give my banshees enough time to take out the Nydus Worms. Next time I get a chance I will screenshot what a real Zerg horde looks like when you are under prepared lol.

Oh and based on your stats I should definitely be able to pull off what you are talking about, I think I am just under estimating them since most other things have been considerably easy. I just need to better prepare for the onslaught, and definitely get setup with the bunkers early on in the game, this will help me to keep things back so I will have the time to rebuild if things get hairy.

Edited by Bitey

As for the lag yeah everyone i seem to talk to hits mad lag issues and iv had my graphics card overheat because its trying to get crazy frames when you on something stupid like menues in the middle of a game. As for the pausing thats always been there from release of sc. Others could unpause it and i dunno if that made it into this game or not but yeah its always been there. Kinda a messed up thing to do in the middle of something intense but i guess people need the extra time to think of a way to try and save there base. Is it me or is zerg way way underpowered?

If you have enough time to tech up to cruisers in SC2 then the person you're playing against is terrible. Within the first 5 minutes I'd put some pressure on you with a nice rush ;)

was doing 2v2 earlier and i was able to pump out a carrier in 6:22 i had 4 by 9 min and a mothership by 11.

2v2 is a bit different, if you're being attacked by two rushers then both people who are defending have to actually micro defense plus their economy, if they can't manage both then they're screwed. If you get attacked and your partner can't micro a defense force to help you you're SoL. If you use a strategy where one rushes and the other techs you could be screwed as well if you can't micro a defense with your economy. Anyone can pump out units and tech extremely fast if you don't have any pressure to worry about. I'd proxy a gateway and pylon near your base and have a cb'd couple of zealots on you before you could think about teching.

@Bitey: I sided with the General so had no air attacks aside from the massive wave of overseer's Mitch's strategy seems fine in an overly-defensive and highly-protective way. I didn't have nearly as many bunkers and didn't have SVU's sitting and waiting to repair, to me that's wasted SVU's you could be using to stimulate your economy. An idle worker is the worst thing you could ever have. I generally had enough siege tanks to put on the pieces of land that stick out and give the siege a very good vantage point, other than that I had a couple of bunkers with some marines in them (I didn't get the extra marines upgrade) but other than that mainly had perdition turrets guarding the entrance ways and even further out a bit. I also had some perdition turrets and some vikings sitting in my base waiting for Nydus worms to come out, the vikings were used to kill off any overseer's that flew around and dropped creep, the perdition turrets and some extra banshees nuked down the Nydus and anything that came out. I fortified my entrances with hellion's and a few firebats, with some space marines and maybe even marauders since I took the upgrade to make units slow when the marauders hit them. I had 4-5, maybe even 6 or more, cruisers sitting up with the relic and would immediately use the yamato on Kerrigan when she appeared, maybe one or two on ultralisks, etc. When the nydus worms would pop up in the zerg bases I would scramble about 8-10 banshees out to nuke down any nydus worm entrance, since the zerg had little to no air defense near a nydus worm. Following that strat and continuously replacing structures that Kerrigan killed I easily did it. I used the relic's power every time it was up as well, whether Kerrigan was around or not.

OK last question who did you side with on the previous mission, Tychus or the General?

I took out their air.

You can hit the nydus worms if you want but with my setup I didn't have to. There's like 2 points in the mission where you have to use the energy nova but other than that they don't get close. When they send the overseers, I spread my battlecruisers out. The bunkers and siegetanks cover about 75% of the zerg dropsites and with the battlecruisers, banshees, and wraith spread around you can easily kill the rest. Or simply do what I did and use the energy nova to negate the entire thing...

The workers are there to SAVE resources. Those 2 SCVs easily saved 6-12 tanks, not to mention repairing battlecruisers. It doesn't matter how many SCVs you have collecting minerals if vespene gas is the limiting factor in production. I'd rather have a little less of a resource I don't need than have to spend even more of the resource I don't have much of to rebuild units that could have been otherwise saved.

I'm only lacking vespene gas and with automated factories you can yell "must go faster, must go faster, gogogogogo" but it doesn't really help. In 99% of RTS situations I'd agree with you but when you're constantly getting hit on a defense line, and your sole goal is to hold that line, I'll take a proportionally tiny hit on resources to keep from having to micromanage repairs.

It's done, basically placing the siege tanks in the right place, in combination with 4 bunkers on the left and 3 on the right, with 4 flame turrets in front of the left and 4 on the right, I was able to hold the line pretty easily, I actually only used the energy nova one time, and I used banshees to take out the nydus worms when they popped up. I don't think the artifact even got hit, I reached about 90% and Kerrigan came out for the third time I think, she walked about 10 steps out and then turned around and walked back out lol. Dunno what that was all about but I have finally beat it after basically not underestimating them, thanks for all the advice guys.

In my personal opinion Zerg are not underpowered you just have to play them in a completely different way from Protoss and Terran, you almost have to be omnipotent... Tons of hatcheries with at least one queen per two hatcheries should allow you to put up a really effective offensive rush every couple of minutes, if you do this relatively early game then you will be able to keep them weak long enough to deliver the finishing blow. If you have a partner just keep sending small waves at the enemy to weaken and your partner can turtle up and tech up. Last time I played the Zerg multiplayer I made the mistake of not realizing how they worked, so I had one hatchery with 10 supply, and then I try to create more workers, and it tells me I need more supply, I'm like where the *edited* are my supply depots??? Then I realized it was the blobby fat things, I can't remember their name, but I think it is Overlord or something, not sure. Anyways you just have to keep in mind that with Zerg it is bad to not have larvae to hatch from, that is how the Zerg work. And working the Zerg is hard work indeed, there is a lot more micromanaging going on with Zerg than the Terran or Protoss.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on campus try playing this yet? I just tried to play a 1v1 quick match as well as a custom and got insane lag. Said player was found, then paused for a good 5-10s, then it counted down and stayed at 0 for 5-10s and then finally when I was actually able to play.. I wasn't actually able to play, constantly getting lag spikes every 5s or so and lasting for 2-3s, even booting to the lag screen saying it was waiting on me. Eventually the guy kicked me and I lost due to this. I sense a failure of a problem from WCU's new filtering service they purchased.

It was overpriced, undertested, and they don't know if it actually works.

They did however not have any problems shelling out $225,000 for it <_>

The best part is they think they can force the manufacturer to refund their money if it kills the network like the last filter they tried. I lol'd, realized they were serious, then lol'd harder. That's like buying a Camry and telling the manufacturer you plan to return it if it doesn't perform like a Mustang.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Recently I have been getting more and more into SC2.

If anyone wants to play add me, I am using a friends account atm.

Lcewarrior

CC- 712

Hope SC2 takes off this upcoming year in the gaming club if it already hasn't