Are PC Gamers too good for console players?

Interesting article from Tomshardware that confirms what I've said for years. Microsoft has the ability to link XBOX and PC and chooses not to because "console gamers were no match for PC gamers." Apparently Microsoft pitted "the best console gamers" against "mediocre PC gamers" at the same game and "the console players got destroyed every time."

[/url]

http://www.tomshardw...sood,10924.html

Thoughts?

well yeah you are going to be more precise and be able to move faster if you have a kb/mouse instead of a controller, no matter how good you are with the controller, it still is no contest.

that doesn't mean that PC gamers are better at their games, just that the same game is going to be easier to control on a PC.

Funny. I seem to recall a number of PC gamers getting their asses beat in fighting tournaments.

Since this was XBOX I imagine the games tested were FPS and RTS.

Fighters have always been better on a controller, I bought my first PC controller to play fighters online.

On that note what is the difference between a consul and a pc? They are both high powered computers. The only difference I see is the controllers and the screen they play on.

Put a kb/mouse on a xbox/ps3 and you have a desktop pc in my opinion.

So which is better? kb/mouse or a controller?

What if they were to to use keyboard and mouse on counsel? Wouldnt that level the playing field quiet a bit?

XBOX games are made specifically so a mouse cannot be used with them.

This hardcoded incompatibility is what killed Halo2 PC, it wasn't until about a year after the release that they were able to get the entire hardcoding out. If you use a mouse on XBOX games, it *might* work but even if it does the average PC gamer would go nuts because it requires smooth movement. The "zip around and headshot" motion that all PC FPS games require does not work.

What if they were to to use keyboard and mouse on counsel? Wouldnt that level the playing field quiet a bit?

This hardcoded incompatibility is what killed Halo2 PC, it wasn't until about a year after the release that they were able to get the entire hardcoding out. If you use a mouse on XBOX games, it *might* work but even if it does the average PC gamer would go nuts because it requires smooth movement. The "zip around and headshot" motion that all PC FPS games require does not work.

Well I realize you cant use a mouse with xbox games but im saying thats a start in leveling the playing field. PC gamers would always have an advantage because there machines will be more powerful but maybe if you cap fps at something. What im trying to say is all things being equal im sure xbox people would rape us at say halo but I actually agree with them for keeping us apart. Makes my life easier with one less thing to deal with.

Well I realize you cant use a mouse with xbox games but im saying thats a start in leveling the playing field. PC gamers would always have an advantage because there machines will be more powerful but maybe if you cap fps at something. What im trying to say is all things being equal im sure xbox people would rape us at say halo but I actually agree with them for keeping us apart. Makes my life easier with one less thing to deal with.

The power of the computer/console has nothing to do with this. At all. A PC can't play games THAT much better than consoles. Besides, an FPS limit is pointless because the XBOX360 pushes 60FPS and a PC with vsync also pushes 60FPS. A beastly computer pushing 300FPS at Halo3 wouldn't give you any advantage against an XBOX player.

In FPS, PC would rape console. No contest. It would take the absolute best Halo/MW2/BFBC2 players to even come close to competing with "decent" PC players. The accuracy and precision that the keyboard/mouse combo gives just can't be beat by a controller, that's all there is to it.

I wish they'd mix the two platforms so PC gamers could finally silence all the smack console gamers talk. It'd be really nice because many of the games I'd like to play on consoles could easily be playable on PCs and a straight conversion, at least from XBOX, would be a really simple process.

Raven told me he did this with MW2 and they suspended his XBL account for a month.. Mouse + Autoaim = hacks I guess LOL

make it so pc gamers can join xbox games iff they have a 360 controller plugged in and are using it to play the game. yeah kinda lame but then at least if you have GOW for PC you could play with xbox people without actually owning an xbox.

I mean seems like a simple enough solution to me anyways. I'm sure there is some way microsoft can code to only allow XBL gameplay on PC if a 360 controller is present.

Most GWLive games have controller compatibility built right in and automatically detect and use an XBOX controller if it detects that one's plugged in. It's definately do-able but they want you to buy an XBOX so it'll never happen.

I'm sorry but a lot of games are just better on console, like 3rd person games. Batman, assassins creed, and oblivion in 3rd person I always feel hindered using mouse n keyboard.

I don't think one is better than another. I feel each game type can have one that is best. Rts on a controller is just as lol as prince of persia on a keyboard.

I'm sorry but a lot of games are just better on console, like 3rd person games. Batman, assassins creed, and oblivion in 3rd person I always feel hindered using mouse n keyboard.

I don't think one is better than another. I feel each game type can have one that is best. Rts on a controller is just as lol as prince of persia on a keyboard.

RTS has been done on console before and it worked really well. You just have to know WTF you're doing and most modern game makers are more concerned about graphics than they are gameplay. For example, they ported Battlezone to N64 and it worked REALLY well.

just FYI, oblivion is better in first person.

just FYI, oblivion is better in first person.

oh ofc

I was just making a point. I tried to do third person for a while to see if the melee got any better, but it got terribly worse. I facking hate the combo moves. Every time I get a new one I have to remap my keyboard so Im not hitting spacebar, ctrl, tapping left, and holding r just to disarm a baddie. I feel like on a controller with a joystick it would be hella easier.

• 1 month later...

hmm question, if I made a mouse+keyboard type controller by changing the xbox remotepads expanded and shaped like keys and the joystick the mouse, would I be able to use it in console tournaments? I can put this "console gamers are better than pc gamers" discussion to an end...=/. I am not sure about how to to do this but considering all games started on computers should make the job easy. Anyways, anyone have an idea of why halo 2,3,odst, or reach, isnt on the computer...?

@masterp, microsoft planned on combining the two however due to casual gamers and the exspense of loosing money caused the suggestion to be turned.

From a technical standpoint it's definately possible but it's virtually useless because consoles restrict input movement to steady actions. To get an idea of this, I recommend you play the release day version of Halo2PC, it gives the best approximation to what using mouse/keyboard on a console would be like because they didn't properly port the controls. After 5 minutes you'll be acting like that angry German kid. Unlike in normal FPS where you can zip around and shoot, in consoles the action has to be smooth and the "zip" action only registers as a small amount of movement.

IMO, there are two reasons why MS hasn't released the newer Halo games on PC. First and most obvious is because Halo2 Vista flopped hard. Halo2 was a major failure because it wasn't properly ported and was released months before it was ready, mainly because MS wanted it to be one of the flagship titles in the Games for Windows Live program. Reason numero dos is that MS would like to keep it as an exclusive XBOX360 title, if at all possible.

The general consensus from google is that MS assumes PC sales will be low so in their minds why bother. This overall lack of intelligence is why Microsoft's Home Entertainment division has yet to turn a profit.

hmm question, if I made a mouse+keyboard type controller by changing the xbox remotepads expanded and shaped like keys and the joystick the mouse, would I be able to use it in console tournaments? I can put this "console gamers are better than pc gamers" discussion to an end...=/. I am not sure about how to to do this but considering all games started on computers should make the job easy. Anyways, anyone have an idea of why halo 2,3,odst, or reach, isnt on the computer...?

@masterp, microsoft planned on combining the two however due to casual gamers and the exspense of loosing money caused the suggestion to be turned.

Raven told me he used some sort of hardware converter to hook up a mouse and keyboard to play MW2 on XBOX and got suspended for a month or so.. So I doubt the answer would be yes.