Rutgers dude commits suicide

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20018088-504083.html

So the story is, Tyler Clementi, a rutgers freshman, was taped having sex with his buddy by his roommate and then committed suicide by jumping off a bridge. His roommate streamed it live, without his knowledge. Him and another chick now face up to 5 years in jail. Both are out on $25,000 bond.

At first I was like, who cares right? Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing, but kill yourself over it? This guy clearly had issues before this, but the incident probably pushed him over, no pun intended. It's sick and sad what the two streamers did to ruin this guys life, but should they be punished with jail time? 5 years to much? to little? This kind of thing falls back to the whole bullying thing. I personally think people should grow some testicles, but working at a school has shown me these kids go through some *edited* too.

edit: also could fall on homosexuals and their perceptions of societies view on their sexuality. Clearly this man wasn't comfortable with his sexuality, and thought if anyone found out he was homo it would be game over. Again though, grow some balls.

Edited by NuRayZ

If someone wants to commit suicide, they're going to find a way to do it regardless of who's watching. If they had stopped him from jumping he'd have done it in a private, likely far more painful way. Making the suicide public knowledge or streamed is extremely poor taste but they can't be charged for it.

I don't understand the charges against these two. There is no expectation of privacy in a shared dorm room. While it's illegal to record people having sex without at least informing them, when there's no expectation of privacy it's extremely hard to get any charges to stick. For example, recording people having sex on a park bench and putting it on the internet without their permission or knowledge is not illegal.

I think these two will be drug through the mud by the media but will be quietly acquitted on the charges.

If you kill yourself, you're quitting life. I have no sympathy for him. Everyone has problems and we can't blame others for what this kid did. I agree with Kip in saying the only thing they should be charged with is violating his privacy. Saying that, I can see the family getting money in a civil suit.. but I doubt much.. after all they are college kids and probably don't have deep pockets.

I'm pretty surprised how nobody in this thread is sickned by the people who filmed him. What those two assholes did to that guy was so insensitive and horrible, I would make an example of them both. I'd personally give them more than five years, but if that's the maximum, it's fine.

I in no means meant to say what they did what right. In fact, I agree it was horrible, but I don't think they should be charged or blamed for causing him to commit suicide.

EDIT:

After reading more about this, I don't know that they should get 5 years in prison, but I can see a year.

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually more harsh than Mitch on something. I guess my opinion boils down to the fact that I like it when bad people are punished for their bad behavior. Even if you ignore the suicide, what those two did was amazingly beyond the pale. You just don't do that to someone. Not only do I hope they get prison time, but I hope this haunts them for the rest of ther lives. I hope they are forced to become pariahs. I hope the *edited* rights groups follow them around and inform all of their potential employers what they did. This is not the sort of thing that one gets past.

Also, how the hell is a dorm room not private? If I found out my roommate had been secretly filming me and put the video on the internet, you bet your *edited* I would sue.

Also, how the hell is a dorm room not private? If I found out my roommate had been secretly filming me and put the video on the internet, you bet your *edited* I would sue.

Yes but would you commit suicide? Would you expect your roommate to go to prison for 5 years?

Yes but would you commit suicide? Would you expect your roommate to go to prison for 5 years?

No to both, but the situations are not exacty the same. I was just pointing out that it is reasonable to expect privacy in your room.

Consider the consequences. If the guy whose privacy was violated did not kill himself, but just sued the people responsible, then I'd say no time in prison would be necessary. However, because their actions left behind a detroyed reputation, a dead body, and a devestated family, I'd say five years fits the crime.

Jeez, why am I the only hardass on this issue?

Just saying its gonna be hard to justify a 5 year prison sentence when the guy clearly had other options rather than suicide. Was it terrible? yeah probably but come on it was not the end of the world. though as his roommate he probably should have known the type of reaction he might get for doing something like this.

Just saying its gonna be hard to justify a 5 year prison sentence when the guy clearly had other options rather than suicide. Was it terrible? yeah probably but come on it was not the end of the world. though as his roommate he probably should have known the type of reaction he might get for doing something like this.

Not all roommates know or talk to each other.

Here's the problem though, the judge can't take the suicide into consideration when sentencing them because it's a totally seperate issue from the crime itself. If public embarrassment leading to suicide was a crime Gordon Ramsay would be doing a life sentence by now.

Illegally filming sex is a crime, and they'll be punished in accordance with that, but saying that because someone being filmed reacted a certain way that they should be charged with more of a crime is how judicial activism started. If it had become public knowledge through normal means that this guy was *edited* he would have been just as likely to commit suicide because he wasn't comfortable with his life choices being made public. That's not the roommate's fault.

The family has a strong wrongful death case and I think that's how this should be persued. If this goes to criminal court, all those two have to do is prove that they didn't HELP him commit suicide and that a normally sane person wouldn't commit suicide when it becomes public knowledge that they're *edited*. At that point the court will have to accept that the guy was mentally unstable. This opens his family and *edited* lover to becoming accessories to the suicide for not seeing what should have been obvious signs of mental instability. This could backfire for the family. Big time.

Don't get me wrong. I think what they did was unforgiveable and hope they burn in hell for it but the US legal system isn't set up to dispense moral justice.

Unless I misread the article, the judge can give the two perps five years simply because of the invasion of privacy, without giving any thought to the suicide. Wouldn't it be fair to say that he would give them both the maximum to make an example of them and give a little comfort towards the families? That would be totally legal.

Oh, hey. This kinda reminds me of that case a couple years ago, where a guy stole a car and got into a police chase. Then two news choppers followed him, crashed into each other, and the criminal was charged with murder. I never did hear what happened in that case..

Oh, hey. This kinda reminds me of that case a couple years ago, where a guy stole a car and got into a police chase. Then two news choppers followed him, crashed into each other, and the criminal was charged with murder. I never did hear what happened in that case..

They didn't start trying him until earlier this year for whatever reason, likely so they couldn't figure out how to charge him with all the crimes he didn't directly cause. The guy pleaded guilty to 35 crimes but was not charged for the deaths of those on the helicopters. It was found that one helicopter got careless and essentially rammed the other. The families of the helicopter that wasn't flown by a retard was given an undisclosed settlement out of court by the offending news station.

There were 6 helicopters in close proximity during the chase, 5 were news helicopters. It's a stretch to say that the guy on the ground made them be there <_>

Unless I misread the article, the judge can give the two perps five years simply because of the invasion of privacy, without giving any thought to the suicide. Wouldn't it be fair to say that he would give them both the maximum to make an example of them and give a little comfort towards the families? That would be totally legal.

If they don't take the extra circumstances into account it's hard to justify making an example of them or giving the maximum sentence. I'm sure there's been other cases of people recording roommates and the punishment of those cases will likely determine the punishment for this one.

I don't think anyone here is being insensitive with the remarks they have made so far. It's a given that video taping someone having sex without their knowledge is something that's sad and sick, etc. The level of the perpetrators sickness and sadness is clear as day. As Lemm pointed out though, killing yourself is not an option ever. It's a very serious issue mentally, and unfortunately this guy wasn't given the proper treatment before this event. It's hard, a lot of people who are suicidal don't exactly go around telling the world; which is the problem.

then of course you have the exceptions, like the guy who killed himself in the UT Library. He shot off a few rounds with an AK47 to gain attention, then flipped the gun around and blew his head off.

Regardless of their methods, suicide is insane, and there is no reason to ever get to that level. I do feel bad for them though, they just need help, someone to talk too, meds, etc.

Edited by NuRayZ

on a slight tangent, over 200+ U.S. soldiers have committed suicide for 2010 alone.

2007:164 suicides

2008:187 suicides

2009 214 suicides

It seems to be a real problem, especially with soldiers being deployed on back to back tours. The stats are crazy; I wonder what the stats are for suicides in our previous wars.

Edited by NuRayZ

I'm pretty sure I heard that the sex video was put on facebook

He was a kid, only 18 years old, and emotions and feelings at that stage in life are extremely sensitive. Although probably most individuals wouldn't go as far as committing suicide over a sex tape, he was a homosexual, which probably added a different dimension.

As mitch said, they will be charged and found guilty for the invasion of privacy but I don't see it going any further than that. I do agree that they deserve this punishment. Also, it carries a max penalty of 5 years but that doesn't mean they will get the maximum.