Sign in to follow this  
Phonetically Phamous (dice

Window explorer locking up on meh

Well I think my lappy is about to die, lets hope not b/c its not going to have a replacement and dice cant be pc'less.

Anywho, the past 4 days the screen has been randomly freezing on me. This has happened about 6 times over the last few days. When it locks up I'll let it sit for a few hours to see if it can "catch up" never does so i pull the plug. Upon restart I only get a backlit screen no colors or text. I'll turn it off let it sit and turn it back on repeatedly until the screen magically comes back. 2 of the times when it comes back it went through some sort of system recovery and restart before the logon screen. When it restarts i'm able to login and everything will be dandy.

Well now that I have it running I noticed i cant right click on desktop with out windows explorer crashing and restarting itself. WTF? Is there an update driver or sumpthin?

Also 1 of the times just before it crashed the screen started flikering on and off and i noticed a popup saying nvidia x.x.xxx blah blah important info i could not read (is there a crash log somewhere) that says driver air-RAWR (error).

The first thing i did when i got it to cut back on today is find the latest driver on nvidias website and install. Its been on now for about 30mins which is a good sign now since i've installed the driver. but still getting the explorer error.

I'm not convenced this is a software problem.

I'm wondering if the GPU is overheating? Is there a way to load test the hardware to see if its about to die. Or a way to see if its only a software glitch?

Spec:

dv9700t

geforce 8600M gs

W7 64bit

If a computer freezes, it's done so for a reason. Letting it sit there usually makes things worse, especially if it's a hardware problem. If something overheated and you left it on "for a few hours" then it's likely unfixable now.

If explorer is crashing you've either got a virus or a serious corruption issue. Backup everything and reinstall Vista. If that works for a week or so then do a clean install of Windows7.

Not on an HP.

Still though, manufacturer hardware diagnostics never tell the whole story. They'll say a hard drive is bad for a problem 99% of techs will tell you is perfectly fine.

well its be dooing ok with the blank screen issue but it is giving me vertical parallel lines quite often, which i can sorta deal with. Finally bought a mouse to game it up and games will not launch sadface.

looks like this is what i need to go through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc&feature=fvw

if i dont come back online you will know why :blink:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

He doesn't know what he's talking about. I've actually done this before and the reason he gives for it overheating is wrong and his fix is temporary at best. The factory "defect" isn't in the heat dissipation, it's in the solder itself and BIOS settings. The stock heatsink is more than sufficient to dissipate the heat, the problem is that the factory BIOS doesn't properly increase the fanspeed and the GPU overheats. If people used the HP updater (no one ever does) you'd have gotten the updated BIOS and never had a problem.

Using a blow torch is stupid and will likely do more damage than the overheating did. The reason the GPU stops working is because nVidia used weak solder and the GPU actually unseats from the motherboard. It's not much but even a tiny fraction of an inch is enough to cause issues. The majority of the time, just heating the chip up will not be sufficient to fix it. You need to heat the chip up using a a heat shield similar to what was in the video and a SOFT heat source like a hair-dryer (which re-loosens the weak solder) and then apply pressure to force it back down into the socket. Press gently for about 30 seconds (using a towel or thick gloves to prevent burns) then let the chip cool for 5-10 minutes. After that attach the power, ram, and screen and see if you get the HP logo, note that you do NOT need to re-attach the heatsink to do a POST test if the chips are at room temperature. If you don't get the logo, try again, if you do get it clean the stock heatsink out and reattach it. Be sure to apply thermalpaste to both chips.

Also worth noting, this solution does not fix vertical/horizontal lines on your screen. That's caused by either a dying screen or permanently damaged GPU.

In the last few days researching the problem I consistently found that the the heatsink does not actually contact the gpu. There is a class action lawsuit against HP for this problem, however I got my lappy new off ebay so i'm kinda out of the money pool. So as the gpu heats up the solder gives and gpu backs up out of the socket just a bit since there is room between the heatsink and gpu. Most say they can heat it back up to 120 and press it back in place as well as adding a tiny shim between the gpu and heatsink so it will not back up again.

Thats all fine and dandy, but I havn't had the "black out" problem in a week now so I think i'm just above the its about to *edited*ing blow up point. However, If it does black out nothing lost in giving this a try. What I need to fix now is the issue this the vertical lines. This issue with right clicking on desktop (this comes and goes), and i need to find a way to monitor what my gpu temps actually are?

Is there a way to find out if its currently using the onboard gpu or the invidia gpu (which is also onboard, fail.)? Not sure why else steam games are crashing before/during launch.

I have not been able to find a reason for the vertical lines, but it appears to be a kinked ribbon or a ribbon coming out from its socket. If i beat *edited* hard enough it will go away. The beating probably helped the gpu seat itself temporarily.

If it cant be fixed with a hammer its not broke

In the last few days researching the problem I consistently found that the the heatsink does not actually contact the gpu.

Open it up and look for yourself. Barring drops and mishandling, I promise it makes contact. If it didn't you wouldn't have made it into windows from day 1 because a GPU without a heatsink overheats in 20-40 seconds. Trust me, been there done that.

There is a class action lawsuit against HP for this problem, however I got my lappy new off ebay so i'm kinda out of the money pool.

You're out of the moneypool anyway because nVidia placed a 2 year from purchase limitation on the free repairs. If you call HP with a broken computer that is 2 years and 1 day old the repair bill increases from $0 to $350 and they WILL NOT budge on that.

Thats all fine and dandy, but I havn't had the "black out" problem in a week now so I think i'm just above the its about to *edited*ing blow up point. However, If it does black out nothing lost in giving this a try.

If you update your BIOS *NOW* the problem won't get any worse.

This issue with right clicking on desktop (this comes and goes), and i need to find a way to monitor what my gpu temps actually are?

99% probablility that's being caused by bad drivers. Backup your data and go back to Vista using the HP recovery software and see if it's still doing it.

Is there a way to find out if its currently using the onboard gpu or the invidia gpu (which is also onboard, fail.)? Not sure why else steam games are crashing before/during launch.

You do not have an Intel GPU, only an nVidia. As for temp monitoring you're probably SOL. Install speedfan and see if it detects the card.

I have not been able to find a reason for the vertical lines, but it appears to be a kinked ribbon or a ribbon coming out from its socket. If i beat *edited* hard enough it will go away. The beating probably helped the gpu seat itself temporarily.

Wow dude, just wow. If the ribbon is loose, plug it back in. Beating the crap out of the laptop only makes things worse. If you damage that ribbon in the beating it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to find a compatible replacement.

opening it up to "take a look" is more of a just do it kinda job. For now my pc works. If it breaks again i'll spend 6hrs to see if a ribbon is loose.

not going back to vista i will wipe the hd and reinstall w7 sometime in the next few weeks just dont have time and kinda low priority as the pc still works.

i need to figure out the bios thing, hp recovery?

If your operating system is not listed, HP does not have software or driver downloads available for this product in that operating system.
Fail!

Which is why I said to install Vista.

Very few manufacturers made Win7 drivers for laptops that old. And by very few I mean none.

For BIOS updates you should be fine selecting Vista.