• 1 month later...

so, no one plays? no servers active? im dyin here, i miss you all! well, some of you...

CS:S has lost a lot of popularity on campus, it seems SC2 and LoL have taken over as the popular multiplayer PC games on campus.

Edited by Smugleaf

CS:S has lost a lot of popularity on campus

It probably doesn't help that they're over a month out of date and the PC VP doesn't care enough to have even appointed a CL to run them.

On that note, can we get someone who cares to run for the position next time? I'm sure felix cares about minecraft but considering he can't even get that running on the server I'm not really sure how he plans to sell himself as being experienced or driven enough for the job. Only 1 of WCU's 30 game servers are up-to-date and running. 31 if you count the minecraft. Even you have to admit that is unacceptable.

Hell the only reason that one server is running is because it's the alumni-run TF2 server. It's full 24/7 btw.

CS:S has lost a lot of popularity on campus

It probably doesn't help that they're over a month out of date and the PC VP doesn't care enough to have even appointed a CL to run them.

On that note, can we get someone who cares to run for the position next time? I'm sure felix cares about minecraft but considering he can't even get that running on the server I'm not really sure how he plans to sell himself as being experienced or driven enough for the job. Only 1 of WCU's 30 game servers are up-to-date and running. 31 if you count the minecraft. Even you have to admit that is unacceptable.

Hell the only reason that one server is running is because it's the alumni-run TF2 server. It's full 24/7 btw.

Even before Felix was VP, it wasn't popular.

Also, the minecraft server is fine.

Before Felix it was at least up and had a handful of regulars. In fact, it was actually picking up steam until felix took over and left it to deteriorate. <_>

FPS servers will not populate themselves, they need CLs to maintain and populate them. Since Felix didn't appoint any CLs, guess what happened. Valve pushed out an update, no one updated the CS or CSS servers for 2+ weeks, and when they were finally updated everyone who was playing there had already moved on. That's gameservers 101, it happens every time and is the fastest way to kill a server.

Also, just as an FYI, the minecraft is not up. I just checked. What you're playing on is being run from a dorm room because felix couldn't figure out how to get it to run on Atari. Instead of googling to find the solution he just assumed it was a problem he couldn't fix and gave up. Just like all the other servers that are down, the problem is extremely simple to fix. You just have to care enough, or know enough, to fix it.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Go ask felix. When he tells you the problem you'll probably facepalm at how simple it is.

Back to CSS:

The server is outdated and by now probably broken. Since no CL was appointed, you'll need to contact the PC VP to get it fixed. I wish you the best of luck with that, he doesn't check the forums anymore.

Before Felix it was at least up and had a handful of regulars. In fact, it was actually picking up steam until felix took over and left it to deteriorate. <_>

FPS servers will not populate themselves, they need CLs to maintain and populate them. Since Felix didn't appoint any CLs, guess what happened. Valve pushed out an update, no one updated the CS or CSS servers for 2+ weeks, and when they were finally updated everyone who was playing there had already moved on. That's gameservers 101, it happens every time and is the fastest way to kill a server.

Also, just as an FYI, the minecraft is not up. I just checked. What you're playing on is being run from a dorm room because felix couldn't figure out how to get it to run on Atari. Instead of googling to find the solution he just assumed it was a problem he couldn't fix and gave up. Just like all the other servers that are down, the problem is extremely simple to fix. You just have to care enough, or know enough, to fix it.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Go ask felix. When he tells you the problem you'll probably facepalm at how simple it is.

Back to CSS:

The server is outdated and by now probably broken. Since no CL was appointed, you'll need to contact the PC VP to get it fixed. I wish you the best of luck with that, he doesn't check the forums anymore.

Yes, because CS:S had huge turnouts at most of the LANs the year before he took office. /rolleyes

I am aware it's run on his computer, and frankly, that's fine by me. As long as I have a reliable server with friendly people on it, I wouldn't care if it's hosted in North Korea.

Yes, because CS:S had huge turnouts at most of the LANs the year before he took office. /rolleyes

You don't understand. Hopefully you will some day.

I am aware it's run on his computer, and frankly, that's fine by me. As long as I have a reliable server with friendly people on it, I wouldn't care if it's hosted in North Korea.

You've obviously never played on a "reliable" server in NK. If you had you've narrowed down your expectations more. :)

The point of a server being on Atari isn't that it's simply "up". There's much more too it than that. Do you intend to play on our server over the Christmas or summer breaks? I hope not, felix's computer won't be on campus. Even if it is, most UNC schools are cutting off power to the dorms for the winter break. The point of having Atari is that we have a unified presence online that doesn't change based on who's in office or what time of the year it is. All our servers are on the same IP and thus easy to find. They're all on the same machine and thus easy to manage. They're all on the same subnet, unfirewalled, unmonitored and unfiltered by ITS, thus better to play on. Atari is 1 hop from the main connection, Reynolds is 7 hops. Atari has a backup diesel generator, Reynolds does not. We have a $5,000 server sitting on a unmetered private gigabit connection, essentially a $13,000/month connection, and you're fine with using a measly quad-core, or less, sharing a gigabit connection with 250 other people?

I think I'm starting to see why you guys never get along with alumni. Our expectations and desires are in a totally different league than what you're playing in.

Yeah, it actually takes a lot to configure source servers well. Both Liam and I have spent a lot of time writing WCU Specific plug-ins that you won't find anywhere else. The real problem with the CS:S server is that almost all the regulars started playing newer games and we weren't getting any new people to join the server.

It'd be nice if it was actually mentioned that we had a CS:S server at the meetings.. or hell even a STUDENT CL. I've been saying I'd rather have that for a long time.. there needs to be someone with a vested interest in the server that actually goes to WCU. I personally put a lot of my time and effort into that server and so has Master P and Liam and a number of other people over the years. We all have lives now.. we don't have time to fix your server and deal with your whining, *edited*ing, and fear that we will somehow have control over the WCU Gaming Club. A game server NEEDS a lot of work put into it.. not just in th configuration, but in the promoting and populating. You can't just install it and turn it on (Unless it's L4D - they use random servers).

I've the server at it's peak and now at it's lowest point. I've seen stat *edited*s (and been one) and people who play because there was an awesome community of regulars.

The truth is.. if you were never a regular of the CS:S Server you could not possibly understand how great it was or how great of a community it had. I would say the CS:S and CS servers are solely responsible for a large percentage of members to these forums.. which brings attention to WCU (LIKE THE CLUB WAS INTENDED TO DO). Now, I challenge you to name one thing that has been done since that has even come close to achieving that. You can't say that about the LANs.. because you don't encourage ANY people outside the club to come.

• 3 months later...