Schwarzenegger vs. EMA

Supreme court case where Schwarzenegger is trying to prohibit the sale of violent video games to minors. He states the definition of violent is: a “violent video game” is defined as one in which “the range of options available to a player includes killing, maiming, dismembering, or sexually assaulting an image of a human being.”

VGVN.org actually setup a game controller campaign in which they are asking gamers to dig up their old controllers and write your first amendment message of protest on the controller and send it to Leland Yee. More here: http://videogamevoters.org/page/s/controller-campaign

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707834/Video-Games-On-Trial-Part-One----The-Bill-That-Started-It-All.html#comments#ixzz144lyzlvc

Anyone sending in their controller? I think I will be sending an old keyboard in!

So California doesn't have a problem with people buying pot but they're bent out of shape over video games?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with that state?

Maybe instead of banning the games they should work with retailers to actually enforce the ESRB age limits on game purchasing. I always tell this when it comes up, because it's always applicable, when I bought Doom3 at an EBGames I got carded. No biggie, I should have and certainly didn't mind. The 12 year old behind me bought GTA3 and was not carded. Who in their right mind would card an obviously old enough person buying Doom3 and then turn around and not card an obviously NOT old enough kid for a GTA game?

i don't see anything wrong with banning violent video games to minors....We don't let minors do a lot of things. This isn't a ban for people of age, so why do y'all care? If you want to buy your kid a violent video game, I'm sure you still can. Just like you can buy your kid beer and cigarettes, stupid idea, but hell go right ahead.

From there, the Act goes on to propose that it would be illegal to sell a violent video game to a minor (unless it’s sold to the minor by his/her parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, or legal guardian). The Act goes a step further and requires “violent video games” to be “labeled with a solid white ‘18’ outlined in black” on the front cover, presumably in addition to the ESRB rating label that all games currently carry. Should a retailer be found selling “violent video games” to a minor, they could be fined up to $1,000, or less depending on what the court decides.

again..why are people protesting? Unless you're under 17, why the flip would you protest this? I think this is a great idea, no more annoying *edited*tards ruining my 17+ only games! If anything, they should fine the *edited*ing parent who lets their annoying *edited* of a kid play games not of age. I can't tell you how many times i had to mute annoying tards because they took too much of their aderol percription and decided to go insane on the mic.

edit: pardon my french

Edited by major newrayz

You really think laws like this will stop minors from playing those games?

i just lol'd. hard.

Again, you already have a system in place to deal with this. Why not work with that existing system instead?

What this will do, however, is make it more expensive to make the game because a special box will have to be made just for the state of California. Such a cost increase will be passed to EVERY customer in EVERY state. Gee thanks.

And why do we care? Because stupid stuff like this is how more excessive bans start. It's the foot in the door that politicians need. America is a unique in that our government bans very few games while other countries routinely ban games entirely for "high impact violence" or force developers to release watered down versions just for their country. Nonsense and unneeded laws like this is how it'll start here.

Also worth noting, video games are considered protected speech under the 1st Amendment. Allowing a state to restrict free speech, even a vague form like this, would be an enormous blow to it from the standpoint of precedent.

We already have a rating system that clearly labels every single thing that's in the game and states its desired audience on the front cover. You also have a lot of games that include settings within the game options to disable "violence". So it is up to the parent whether they allow their child to play those games or not. It should not be up to the law to make that decision for the parent of their OWN child. Its not hard for a parent to control what games their kids are playing, parents can easily look on their child's computer or what game is in the console or observe them.

Yes Nurayz I realize you and I both are of age, however, you have to think if you were a child being affected by this or whether your kids will be affected by this.

My parents let me play Doom2 and Duke Nukem 3D when I was 10 or so. By early teens I was playing Soldier of Fortune.

Violent video games don't create violent people. Only in the US judicial system would an assertion as stupid as that carry any weight. Using violence to solve problems IRL is a choice and if you aren't prepared to suffer the consequences of making that decision maybe you should look for another way to solve your problems. This is called being accountable for your actions and American kids aren't taught this in schools anymore, everything is someone else's fault. You can pass the blame all day long but there's only so many people you can throw under the bus before you end up under it yourself.

This is called being accountable for your actions and American kids aren't taught this in schools anymore, everything is someone else's fault. You can pass the blame all day long but there's only so many people you can throw under the bus before you end up under it yourself.

agreed. some of us teachers do try to teach them accountability; it's tough though when their parents don't give a *edited*. 66% of the kids in my district only have a single parent. I try not to be sexist, but most kids without father figures act like brats. I tell my kids all the time though, all their whining, complaining, and lack of trying may get them through the public school system, but as soon as they hit the real world they're toast.

Edited by major newrayz

Here is a list of banned video games listed by country. Definately worth looking at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_video_games

You'll notice almost all banned games are for extreme violence and/or gore.

why can't soldiers play medal of honor on military bases? If anyone should be playing military games against taliban forces, it should be those guys.

Edited by major newrayz