Lemm's No New Content Thread

dont hate but my fav ST was ST 8

First Contact? That thing had more plot holes than the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones combined. I mean it was ok if you don't really pay attention but if you apply one iota of thought to the movie it makes so little sense that your brain will start hurting.

One thing I am curious about: I understand that some sort of time traveling mishap changed the backstory of the original series and created a whole new timeline. Does this mean that the original Star Trek universe has been replaced or is it supposed to still exist in a parallel universe or something?

Replaced. Probably permanently. ST12 will also be based in the new timeline.

See the problem is that the original timeline has been spent. They can't create any more TNG-based movies because the last two have been abysmal failures at the box office. The TNG crew just can't act the parts anymore. The only place where they can safely make movies is the pre-TNG but they can't really do that without having to tip-toe around the original backstory for the original Star Trek and we know even the slightest slip up will be noticed and boo'd in theaters. The solution? Create an alternate timeline where even if you contradict something from TOS you can write it off as the alternate character making a different decision. I mean as far as giving themselves room to maneuver, it was genious.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Kip that it was a good idea. I think one of the reasons that I like what they did is because I WANT MOAR STAR TREK MOVIES.

PS. I liked the last star trek TNG movie. It would be difficult to create a sequel to it though. I too believed that first contact was crap... even generations was better.

PPS. I think it's funny that in Star Trek IV: The voyage home the whale lady states how no whale has ever harmed a human being and that Killer Whale killed his trainer last February http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-24-seaworld-whale-death_N.htm

dont hate but my fav ST was ST 8

First Contact? That thing had more plot holes than the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones combined. I mean it was ok if you don't really pay attention but if you apply one iota of thought to the movie it makes so little sense that your brain will start hurting.

Say what you want but the borg are *edited*ing pro.

See the problem is that the original timeline has been spent. They can't create any more TNG-based movies because the last two have been abysmal failures at the box office. The TNG crew just can't act the parts anymore. The only place where they can safely make movies is the pre-TNG but they can't really do that without having to tip-toe around the original backstory for the original Star Trek and we know even the slightest slip up will be noticed and boo'd in theaters. The solution? Create an alternate timeline where even if you contradict something from TOS you can write it off as the alternate character making a different decision. I mean as far as giving themselves room to maneuver, it was genious.

The idea of creating a Star Trek reboot has legs to it, but I kind of see it as a betrayl to fans of the old series to say that all those stories they enjoyed never actually happened and are no longer a part of canon. Now if both continuities were still said to exist in some fashion, it would probably be easier to take. Sure it's nerdy, but it would add a psychological comfort.

All that being said, this new Star Trek universe looks too trendy for me. It's like they're trying to hard to be cool and not hard enough to be smart.

Well as long as the old Spok lives... you can still say they actually happened.

I seriously doubt he will do another movie though unless Sheldon uses the DNA he got off the napkin to clone him (Big Bang Theory Reference).

Hmm. I got a little concerned about the whole 'alternate reality' thing (because I'm a great big neeeeeeeeerd) so I decided to do a little research. I found this interview with one of Star Trek 2009's writers. He said that despite the creation of a new timeline, the old timeline remains intact. It's not that the old timeline was snuffed out by the new one, but rather that the new one and the old one exist simultaneously. Cool. One of my main concerns was that the creators of this film were saying that all Star Trek stories told before their movie were out of canon. Apparently, they're not. That's nice. I can dig the idea of a new universe, as long as respect is payed to the previous.

All the same, I'm not interested in seeing the new movie because I still think it looks dumb.

In Summary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRuuF-5ZST8

Regardless of whether or not the old universe still exists, there will be no new content for it or interaction with it. Replaced or not, it's just as dead.

If they actually are saying that the timeline still exists, then that might mean they will keep giving references / stuff will come from it. This could be hinting at poor plot planning!

BAM TWO THOUSAND BAM BAM

I'd like to thank Master P, Nickname, Dice, Ephraim, Raine, and the belated Major for responding to all of my posts no matter how much non-sense is said.

I'd like to thank Adam Faulkner for starting the club and preserving the forums as well as the amazing forums and wcu server master Liam.

And thanks to adam37 for playing black ops with me.. and dice (who needs to hurry up and get a mic).

BAM TWO THOUSAND BAM BAM

I'd like to thank Master P, Nickname, Dice, Ephraim, Raine, and the belated Major for responding to all of my posts no matter how much non-sense is said.

I'd like to thank Adam Faulkner for starting the club and preserving the forums as well as the amazing forums and wcu server master Liam.

And thanks to adam37 for playing black ops with me.. and dice (who needs to hurry up and get a mic).

/me is not impressed, but you are welcome all the same

i'm still trying to get the 5-7

btw, i'm doing D&D with bros online and it's gonna be my turn to dm, maybe probably, and i've been working up a campaign and man is there a lot of *edited* to figure out. I'm trying to make it pretty open, but i'm also trying to fill in as much of the world as possible so that i could roll with whatever the players think of, which given they guys i play with could be just about *edited*ing anything, from burning women to raping villages, i wouldn't put anything past them. and yes i mean exactly how i typed that.

another fun fact:

ghaddify has no one way of spelling his name

is he related to nodice?

i r confuzed

if i beat lemm in posts, does that mean i win prizes?