Sign in to follow this  
Fangore

Forum Section for Nintendo DS Products

Hi, My name is Frankage and I have a proposition. I own a Nintendo DSi handheld and I have to say I

love it, so you must imagine my surprise to see that there isn't a forum area to

ask questions and post news towards the many Nintendo handheld devices. I spoke to some of the

leaders at the most recent meeting and they had no qualms towards a forum

thread area for Nintendo handhelds. I play primarily in the Pokemon genre, but I am open minded

towards other games for the future. If this is something that anyone else might be

interested in, feel free to post in the topic towards your thoughts or concerns for or against it.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

Edited by Fangore

We could just make a handhelds section. Most handheld chat is DS/DSi related but every now and then a PSP thread pops up.

We could just make a handhelds section. Most handheld chat is DS/DSi related but every now and then a PSP thread pops up.

I can't believe I forgot about the PSP. I would be all for a thread for handhelds.

So they plugged the same DS flashcards in and they worked on the 3DS. How exactly is that a fail? There certainly wasn't any hacking involved. All they're doing is playing DS games in the DS mode.

Keep in mind that all current DSi flashcards, except the CycloDS iEvo, play DSi games using the DS compatibility mode as opposed to the native DSi mode. Because of this, most DSi ROMs are being dumped without the DSi sections. Only a handful of J and F ROMs are actually proper dumps and the developers of the dumper have not, and likely will not, release it to the public.

So in reality, Nintendo has done a surprisingly good job securing the DSi and 3DS and apparently the current generation of DS flashcards is being banned when the next 3DS firmware update is released in the coming weeks.

Read my updated post. NDS hackers can't even make proper DSi ROMs yet, I don't think Nintendo is overly worried about pirating at this point. They won the last round and will likely win the 3DS round too. Yeah they'll eventually lose, everyone who uses proprietary encryption does, but it'll take most of the current generation for developers to make a proper dumper for it so they're not really concerned.

It's like playing pirated PS1 games on a PS3. Yeah you can, but why would Sony care? You didn't buy the PS3 to play PS1 games.

I never bought a DSi. I just didn't see enough of a jump from the Lite to justify it. However, I'm already $200 down on the 3DS. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about it.

I'm still content with my DS lite but in a year or so I definately see myself owning a 3DS. I'm not really interested in the 3D so much as the better games that the new ARM chips open up.

Btw, new section is created and I moved all the DS and PSP threads here.