Sign in to follow this  
Ephraim

3DS

I picked up the 3DS. So far, I am impressed. The first time I saw the 3D on the screen, I said to myself "Wow, they actually did it." I am genuinely impressed by how deep into the screen the imagery goes, especially considering that you don't need 3D glasses. The AR cards are pretty fun, though I probably won't be doing a whole lot with them. The internet stuff looks slick and I'm looking forward to downloading some old Gameboy games onto it. Along with the system, I picked up Pilotwings Resort, just to test the 3D a bit. There isn't terribly much to the game, but it displays the 3D pretty well. I have a few complaints: while the imagery goes far into the screen, it doesn't really pop out of the screen very much. Also, if you try rotating the screen, the imagery goes all herky jerky for a second. Still, these are just nitpicks. When the killer apps start coming out, I'm going to get really excited. Until then, I have Pokemon. I think this is a winner for Nintendo.

Can't wait for developers to start pushing it. The GPU on the 3DS is actually a little bit better than that of the PSP and if the CPU is what it's rumored to be it would be much greater than that of the Wii. Hell the chip it's based on is even multicore capable and can clock up to 2GHz :blink:

Here's a tech demo of the GPU the 3DS has:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-3ds-gpu-tech-demo?size=hd

That's been one of Nintendo's biggest problems the last few years. That and having actually good titles. They have plenty of good ones but they're usually released so far apart you almost have to have another console/handheld just to hold you over.

I haven't owned a nintendo handheld since the monochrome (original) game boy. I'm guessing just like most of the games for nintendo products, the best games are always made by nintendo.

That being said.. this little device looks pretty awesome and I with I had the time & money to get one / play with it.