So I have discovered that my random lag (FPS drop) while playing games is due to my cpu (both cores) overheating. I just recently moved my laptop off of the keyboard drawer under my desk surface and moved it onto the top of my desk for more ventilation/airflow. This did help some, however, it is still getting too hot while under heavy load (like playing tf2). The CPU temp will start out at about 50 degrees Celsius and as I play it will creep its way up to around 90-95 degrees Celsius. Then at this point the in-game FPS drops to around 10 where it becomes unplayable for about 5 minutes (guess the CPU's are bottlenecked and are attempting to cool down) and then the temp gets down to around 80-85 degrees Celsius and then I can play again for about 5 minutes and then the process starts over again.

I even have tf2 running on the lowest settings and have downgraded to using directx v8 to help reduce the workload. I have a dell xps m1530 with all factory parts.

My laptop is still under warranty so would this be covered? Or is this normal?

I have never used or had to use any type of cpu cooling device. Any recommendations?

I used to put a small book or a pen or something under the front of my laptop to allow more air to get under it. This used to make a big difference (I haven't played a lot of games in a while). the pads on the bottom of the laptop came off making it flush with the table. Also don't run it on a glass table.. glass is an insulator that seems to make it a lot hotter.

There are some cheap laptop cooling pads.. I wouldn't recommend one of these... maybe a more expensive one would work.. I got a targus and it didn't seem to do much of anything.

I do have a glass top that it is sitting on but I have the laptop elevated with 2 travel soap holders. This has definitely prolonged the amount of time it takes for the cpu to get hot, however, I need to keep it at a lower constant.

Since you have a Dell XPS I would call them and see what they say, the XPS line gets American support that knows wtf is going on. It needs to have the vents and fans cleaned but since it's under warranty I'm hesitant to recommend you doing it yourself, if nothing else you can confirm that doing it yourself won't void the warranty. You might also check to make sure a fan hasn't died because 95­°C is insane for a laptop. If you tell Dell support it gets that hot regularly they'll definately want to look at it.

At idle or just doing things like browsing, word processing, etc...it's fine and stays around 50 degrees Celsius. I probably need to get a cooling pad to sit it on. Has anyone used one before that was worth it? A good 9 or 10 degrees lower would be my goal.

I do have to send it off to get the monitor fixed (it makes a terrible buzzing sound) so I will ask them to also dust it off at that time as well.

yeah I used to have a M1530 but the temps never got that hot...

Do you have the 6 cell or 9 cell battery? The 9 cell helps elevate the computer and really helps it stay quite a bit cooler.

MP's right about cleaning the vents. When my Dell's warranty ran out, I took it apart and got rid of all the dust that got stuck. Needless to say it ran a lot better and didn't heat up so easily. If you can get them to look at it, do it.