Sign in to follow this  
Lemm

Plasma TV Input Lag

So, I recently purchased a 50" LG Plasma 3DTV (LG 50PZ750). After previously using a LG 32" LCD tv, I'm definitely noticing some input lag while gaming. Particularly while playing Black Ops. It seems to be around a half a second (which is HUGE). My monthly ratio took a dive from over 2 to 1.5 (that's with extra leet try-hard pants on).

Sadly, I believe the TV is causing the problem. I still have a few things to investigate when I get home today... but for now you can see me vent on the internet.

1. I've read that when switching TV's, you should reset your display configuration on the PS3. I still have not done this.
  2. I currently use a AV Receiver in between the PS3 and the TV (Never bothered me with the 32" LCD).
  3. I have been using "Game Mode" on the tv- which is supposed to remove most of the picture quality enhancing stuff to improve the speed of gaming. It doesn't seem to be helping. I plan on looking to see if there is anything else that I can disable, but I don't think so..
  4. I currently run a OSD (On screen display) on the Receiver for volume control / menu stuff. I'll try to disable that if it helps.
  5. I also need to check to see if there are any up-scaling features enabled on the receiver.

The fact that it worked fine on my other TV has got me thinking that it's just the TV and that I can no longer enjoy Console gaming in a home theater-like setting.

I've googled for a while trying to see if anyone has calculated the input lag on this tv.. I haven't found it anywhere. Of course the manufacturers don't advertise it anywhere.

Edited by Lemm

There's a reason plasma is getting cheap as dirt, LED LCD is where it's at.

Try removing the AV receiver completely and plug directly into the TV. You shouldn't have to reset anything on the PS3, but you should probably try to anyway. Tbh, if you have to reset the PS3 settings every time you change TVs that's really another giant negative for the console.

Removing the receiver produced an unnoticeable difference.

It's the tv. Apparently this years models of LG's (Both LCD and Plasma) are really bad for input lag.

LCD LED TV's may be getting better in quality, but from what I've read Plasma tv's still beat them as far as gaming. (This coming from the forums at avsforum.com )

I was able to tweak some more settings in one of the ISF modes turning off color correction, edge correction .. stuff like that and setting the aspect ratio to "Just Scan".

I still don't think I will be happy with this...

From what I've read Panasonic makes the best gaming tv's this year.. but I'm open to anyone else's input because I'm thinking of returning this TV.

Ugh from what I'm readying in the 50" + range the input lag tends to be higher wherever you go.

Uhm, no. My parents have a 55" Samsung LED-LCD and my home theater PC players CoD just fine on it with no input lag at all.

If the PS3 is the only thing having issues with it, maybe you should just take that back instead :)

They all have input lag...

It's just how much. From what I've read, the good ones only have 15ms-30ms -- but they are also not the best quality tv's for viewing movies.

It also makes a difference which input you are using although I assume you are using HDMI.

Do you happen to know which model they have?

Edited by Lemm

They all have input lag...

It's just how much. From what I've read, the good ones only have 15ms-30ms -- but they are also not the best quality tv's for viewing movies.

Well so do computer monitors.

There is no correlation between input delay and picture quality. All input delay is the same. What you're thinking of is processing delay and yeah the more the TV does to the picture the longer it's going to take to process. This is why I tell people to avoid TVs that do a ton of picture correction and processing, if you want to do any sort of gaming or frequently watch fast-paced movies you really need to turn most of that off. If the TV is truely good, it won't need a laundry list of post-processing features, it'll have a good picture all by itself. That said, if you think you can just take the TV out of the box, turn it on, and enjoy it with default settings, well, you're probably a mac user.

It also makes a difference which input you are using although I assume you are using HDMI.

Of course :)

Do you happen to know which model they have?

UN55C6900. Only 120hz but for $1800 it was a deal that couldn't be beat and with an hour or so of adjusting settings it looks every bit as good as a 240hz and performs flawlessly in console and PC gaming. Bluray looks really nice on it as well.

Everywhere I have looked called it input lag, but whatever I am talking about the processing time.

AFAIK I have turned everything off but I'm planning on seeing what service mode yields me as far as features I can disable tonight.. (I doubt anything) I also managed to find the unlock code for the ISF calibration.. so I will see if I can turn anything off that way.

If I still can't get anything better out of this tv.. I think I will go with http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50GT30-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME76K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311017157&sr=8-1

$1345 3D Plasma. Supposed to only have around 15ms - 30ms lag.. the best set I've read with any serious testing done to it. It's also supposed to have great picture quality.

BTW plasmas have < 1 ms of latency as apposed to lcd's .. it all processing time.

Edited by Lemm

Is the PS3 the only thing you're having trouble with? If so have you tried resetting it like you described in the OP?

Panasonic makes good capacitors, other than that I'd never buy any other product they make.

Btw, the TV you linked to seems to have a serious issue with fluctuating brightness.

Is the PS3 the only thing you're having trouble with? If so have you tried resetting it like you described in the OP?

PS3 is only game system that I currently play.. and yes ... I did try that. It's only meant to reset video settings (in case you have it locked in hdmi out and you want to reset it). You can do everything I did in the system menus.

It's not the ps3. It's funny because my 32" LG LCD plays great but when it comes to a higher end model the lag is a LOT higher.

Literally the only difference between my previous setup is the tv.

Lucky for me Amazon has a great return policy on HDTV's ... FREE RETURN SHIPPING W00T!

What why? I've tested it on 2 tv's in my apartment already.. One works fine the other has the lag.

I'm going to try to get my money back while I hopefully still can.

What why?

You may find that the bug is more common than you think.

I have a hard time believing that a brand new LG plasma has a problem like this.

mayhaps you got a bad TV? the 42" LG LCD I bought at the beginning of the year doesn't have a noticeable input lag...

From what I've read the LED LCD's of the same line this year have the same problem.

I'm guessing it's only a 100ms lag. Whatever it is - it's unnoticeable to me to anything except gaming. Even then I only notice it on certain games that require a quick reaction time like CoD. However; I play those games a lot more than others.

From what I've read the LED LCD's of the same line this year have the same problem.

Sauce?

Here's a good example...

And no the firmware update didn't fix anything.

I have the wii hooked up to the other tv. I don't play any FPS on the wii anyway, so I don't think I would be able to tell. It's also a different resolution and a different port (which both would affect the lag in different ways).

It's not an accurate comparison, but I will hook it up when I get home.

I've already called for them to come pick the tv up anyway. I'll do more research before I buy another tv. However, if anyone is looking for an awesome deal on a good tv (it really does have a great picture) that is horrible for fast paced gaming.. Amazon has a great deal on a LG 50" 3d plasma with two pairs of glasses for around 1000 with free shipping.

Aren't the 3D tvs like way worse for lag than their non-3D counterparts?

I don't know if that's true or not, but I would imagine it shouldn't make a difference if 3d is turned off.

3D TVs are way worse at alot of things than their non-3D counterparts.

3D TVs are way worse at alot of things than their non-3D counterparts.

Like what... source?

More "input lag", picture quality takes a hit, they're more expensive, and the circuit boards are more prone to failure and more expensive to repair/replace when they do.

Sources are Amazon, Google, and common sense.

Btw, in terms of input sources, different resolution doesn't mean anything. The vast majority of TVs use the same input board and picture processing for HDMI and component input. Even if the Wii only runs at 480i, if the TV truely is the problem it'll also have the "input lag" because it's signal will be going through the same board, same chips, same post-processing as the PS3 on HDMI.