Sign in to follow this  
melatonin

Valve's view on DRM

That's a pretty good picture as to why Valve has been so successful and other publishers and developers haven't.

Yeah I read that a few days ago.

I agree with valve.

One thing that I wish valve would put it's foot down on though is games restricting the number of times you can install them (only a few do this). Usually you get at least 5 installations, but still I'm not going to let anyone use my steam account so don't try to penalize me for reformatting my hard drive.

Edited by Lemm

Do the Steam versions of those game do that? I can't imagine Valve tolerating it.

I know at least Far Cry 2 does it on steam.

Far Cry 2 version 1.03 removed the activation system altogether and their servers no longer track new installs. For retail, anyway, idk about the Steam version.

For most FC2 users, overly protective DRM was the least of their concerns lol

have had my steam account since 04...haven't been hacked once. Not that i know how to pirate, but the convenience, cheapness, and user-friendliness valve offers, why would you want to? Only issues i've ever had was problems either on my side (like forgetting my password or forgetting to update my credit card) or developer side for not getting with the program and making their games more user friendly. 90% of my games are on steam, by no means do i think i'm the majority, but I think it's safe to say steam has a pretty good grip on this issue.

Edited by newrayz

Yeah I read that a few days ago.

I agree with valve.

One thing that I wish valve would put it's foot down on though is games restricting the number of times you can install them (only a few do this). Usually you get at least 5 installations, but still I'm not going to let anyone use my steam account so don't try to penalize me for reformatting my hard drive.

Those games all come with deactivators. It's not that big of a pain to deactivate GTA: EFLC or Crysis Warhead so you can reformat. You shouldn't be installing them on 15 different machines anyway.