Liam Team Balancer

Whats the current timeframe for moving to Sourcemod? Is it just a matter of time depending on when access to the server box is regained? Or will it be awhile before we see these sort of changes?

Not important questions, but I'm just being overtly curious.

Sourcemod isn't quite usable yet, but I can't wait till it is. As soon as it's ready, that's where we'll be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it does alright, though it's a little unnerving when on the winning team to find that some of your teamates were ridding on coatails and weren't that good, but it does keep team pretty close... so good job liam, i know i've talked some smack about it, but i really think it's good that we now have this

it does alright, though it's a little unnerving when on the winning team to find that some of your teamates were ridding on coatails and weren't that good, but it does keep team pretty close... so good job liam, i know i've talked some smack about it, but i really think it's good that we now have this

I'm glad its working. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it less spammy, I'll be happy to work it in.

Back to working on slot reservations. :)

Hey liam, your balancer is working much more brilliant than before, the only thing that i can find loose about it, is when the server is full, and the top 2 people of the winning team get switched to the losing team, for example. Me and kuros we're destroying a few days back and then me and kuros got switched to the opposite team 2 or 3 times ( in 2 maps ) back and forth, and if i went, he went, or the opposite. We found it funny, but it's weird. Just a little idea for you to work on or what not. Good luck man, and your dedication and work on this is much needed, and very honorable of you to do this. You made a difference to the server, although you've undergone a lot of hate from players :P good luck buddy.

Hey liam, your balancer is working much more brilliant than before, the only thing that i can find loose about it, is when the server is full, and the top 2 people of the winning team get switched to the losing team, for example. Me and kuros we're destroying a few days back and then me and kuros got switched to the opposite team 2 or 3 times ( in 2 maps ) back and forth, and if i went, he went, or the opposite. We found it funny, but it's weird. Just a little idea for you to work on or what not. Good luck man, and your dedication and work on this is much needed, and very honorable of you to do this. You made a difference to the server, although you've undergone a lot of hate from players :P good luck buddy.

Chantz,

I know why thats happening in that manner and what I'll do is go in and add a little more randomization to it. The only thing I can figure on why it kept switching you two over and over though is because you two were causing your team to win and the other to loose.

Once we get the new server put in I can tweak things out a bit more to make things better. For now though, it does seem to be working pretty well. One thing I am working on is getting it to move players after the round freezes so that the end of round killing ceases.

As far as the players hating me, hey, if they hate me, they at least know who I am. :D

Thanks for the input though and I will definately add it to the list. :)

LOL, Chantz is registered. The forums are going all to hell now. <3 chantz > bracket

Balancer seems to be working pretty well, though it has occurred to me that it may be taking a bit to take in effect when the map starts. It takes a good 5-6+ rounds before it effectively balances and evens the team despite one team completely rolling over the other, etc.

The issue with that is this: If we move more than 1-2 people in a go, then it completely unbalances the teams. I could go in and make it move a few more people if its say less than 5 rounds into a new map. If you think it would be a good idea I'll be happy to do so.

The issue wasn't that it wasn't balancing enough, its just it wasn't balancing early enough. It shouldn't take 5,6,7+ rounds for it to figure out that the teams are unbalanced and people need to move.

I'll take a look at it. The only reason I could see it doing what your saying though is this:

For example:

CT team is horribly stacked and they win the first two rounds.

T's get lucky and win the third round.

CT's snicker and whoop *edited* for rounds 4-5-6.

Balancer goes, oh, CT's won 3 in a row. Rebalance.

Now, I could definately lower the streak win to "2 wins in a row" for it to balance but that'll make it swap things up even more often than it does now.

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned this but why not balance teams immediately after the warm up round based on their skill point rank? If you look at the top25 people that play on the server they play very often and are usually on the same team at the beginning of every map which leads to the initial stack. If this was done I believe it would eliminate most of the team balancing caused by early stacks.

You could average out all the players skill points and move people accordingly to make each team have as close to the average as possible. Of course this method has flaws such as someone that's new to the server that happens to be godlike but that would take care of itself in time anyway.

This has already been discussed and the problem is that our stats are run parallel yet separate from the server so there is no way for Liam to reference it in his coding. But yes ideally that would be a great idea.

This has already been discussed and the problem is that our stats are run parallel yet separate from the server so there is no way for Liam to reference it in his coding. But yes ideally that would be a great idea.

I could reference it but it would create yet even more overhead for the server. Secondly: People have bad days. People have good days.

Lol guess I was out of the loop on that one, I thought that it was that we couldn't access it but now its that the current server we are on can't handle it and of course the common sense answer you just said?

just for *edited*s and giggles, despite the fact that most of the clans I've seen recently have been divided by the teambalancer, could we try to add in some kind of a clan detection system? comparing names to see common phrases, like aCe. or [WCU] (even though it's not a clan, but a club) or what have you... or possibly just having a file listing all known clans that we update by hand?

oh, and also do we want to set it up to swap not only the best players of the winning team, but the worst players of the losing team? (namely me whenever I'm in :))

just for *edited*s and giggles, despite the fact that most of the clans I've seen recently have been divided by the teambalancer, could we try to add in some kind of a clan detection system? comparing names to see common phrases, like aCe. or [WCU] (even though it's not a clan, but a club) or what have you... or possibly just having a file listing all known clans that we update by hand?

We discussed this and discarded it. Can't remember why it was so long ago.

oh, and also do we want to set it up to swap not only the best players of the winning team, but the worst players of the losing team? (namely me whenever I'm in :))

It already does that. :)

heres how to fix it!

When a team wins too much, turn dwp on for their team, and leave it off for the losing team.

problem solved.

That has to be the most useless post I've seen in relation to this thread to date.

Epic fail.

What sort of work would be required to give some more intelligence to map voting? As in perhaps, giving maps tags like for their size, or their Prefix_. So that when there are only 12 players or less small maps are chosen for the vote and along with the de_ maps there is always one alternative_ prefixed map up for the vote?

Not that map voting doesn't work fine right now, and not that this is something to prioritise over anything else, but might it be a potential improvement at some point?

Right now though, the TeamBalancer seems to be the best its ever been imo, so congrats and very nice work.