How to make the LAN better

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Try to avoid planning big tournaments together. lol. But that's stuff we learn over time.

2) See about getting more equipment in (like TVs). Maybe local sponsors (like Nexus and E3) could help us out there.

3) Renting extra copies of tournament games from Movie Gallery. (Shingi's idea. I like it.)

4) Not being afraid to try new ideas. :D

For me, and some of the things i'v herd people talking about, here are my suggestions on some minor tweaks.

1. Water,, need more bottled water, prob the most frequent compliant i'v heard. idk how much was bought, but it was gone quick.
  2. Pizza in 2 shifts(same # of pizza's total, but like a 40% now 60% later) for like a lunch at ~3pm and a dinner at ~7pm or more "snacks" (can only eat so many chips :)
  3. mismatch the popular games. The most popular games are played back to back w/o much break. maybe look into doing some of the popular PC games before lunch/dinner. example (q3, tf2, ut2k4, css, cod4). this way people will show up earlier. Myself, and others did not play a game untill 4pm, and then it was nonstop gaming w/o much of a break.
  4. Door prizes still taking forever... maybe if we have them wright their name on each ticket, it will go by about 3 times as fast. i think this should effeminate most of the "no shows"
  5. Download table: need somewhere to direct people to sign a DL sheet if they dont have a game. or some type of organized way to getting people the game so tourry's start on time

For me, and some of the things i'v herd people talking about, here are my suggestions on some minor tweaks.

1. Water,, need more bottled water, prob the most frequent compliant i'v heard. idk how much was bought, but it was gone quick.
  2. Pizza in 2 shifts(same # of pizza's total, but like a 40% now 60% later) for like a lunch at ~3pm and a dinner at ~7pm or more "snacks" (can only eat so many chips :)
  3. mismatch the popular games. The most popular games are played back to back w/o much break. maybe look into doing some of the popular PC games before lunch/dinner. example (q3, tf2, ut2k4, css, cod4). this way people will show up earlier. Myself, and others did not play a game untill 4pm, and then it was nonstop gaming w/o much of a break.
  4. Door prizes still taking forever... maybe if we have them wright their name on each ticket, it will go by about 3 times as fast. i think this should effeminate most of the "no shows"
  5. Download table: need somewhere to direct people to sign a DL sheet if they dont have a game. or some type of organized way to getting people the game so tourry's start on time

I agree with the water issue x2; I thought that when I saw the water show up at the beginning.

I think we should try to get more pizza; that pizza went by way too fast.

Should be 2 pc games before dinner, 2 after dinner IMO with plenty of time for each tournament

Have a cutoff for when people can still install the game and get in the tourney; this was ridiculous for both UT2k4 and COD4.

Wow I didn't think water was that popular I cannot provide enough water for everyone to drink one bottle and then 3 cans of soda, you guys need to make a decision on what is more important, I was under the impression that soda was of higher importance, I can sacrifice a few 12 packs of soda for 2 more 24 packs of water but then we start cutting into the soda budget pretty tight. We planned it out that we would have at least 3 cans of soda per person we expected to be there, if the club wants water over soda this is something that we need to discuss. Also good thoughts on the door prizes.

I think the fliers could be slightly improved by mentioning that prizes will be given out. Also, part of me thinks it would be good to mention registration, but I'm kind of on the fence about that.

I failed about mentioning the registration, but I don't think the prizes is a good idea...

I think the fliers could be slightly improved by mentioning that prizes will be given out. Also, part of me thinks it would be good to mention registration, but I'm kind of on the fence about that.

for the most part we never know whats coming in the sponsor box's, and alot of them get here within a few days of the event. flyers need to be up 2-3weeks b4 game day. so timing just wont let that happen. However, if you all wont to talk about prizes.. maybe say something like $600 in sponsor prize giveaway's

for the setup i jsut suggest taking 2 of those tables off the row where SC4 was bc between that and the projector there was a bit of congestion when trying to get out of the door.

Or just moving the whole console section up a bit if possible.

Water? Why buy what is provided by the university for FREE?

I always bring 3 bottles from home in case I want them to drink just because I have them at home. We need to think of the fact that people can always use the water fountains and if they want water at their computer then they can bring something to put water in. If they really want bottled water its like 3.75 for 24 bottles at Walmart.

If there were soda fountains for free then I would say the same thing about that.

personally i agree with kappa, i have never bought a straight up regular bottle of water in my life (flavored water yes, but its not free anywhere). but i have to push by believes aside.

The fact remains that their is alsways soda left over from the event's and their is never bottled water left. hell its gone by the time the pizza comes in and thats about half way through the event. The ppl wont wawa, give them wawa. :)

PS: kappa, i'm about to start crackin into this 5H :glasses: :glasses02:

yea, if we do have SC IV at the next LAN (which Im hoping we do) we will definitely have to push its time back. i suggest that maybe we should do it sometime later because the Wii and PS3 tournaments were over around 7:30-8:00, leaving us about 3 hours for free play. We could use some of that time for a tournament that should be pushed back (like SC IV or maybe something else).

I didnt realize bottled water was popular either. I figured I was one of the only people that preferred 3-4 bottles of water and only 1 soda per LAN!

And pizza in two shifts would be awesome. I thought that was done once at one of the LANs. And yes to more snacks, it ran out fast this time.

As for planning popular games alongside each other, I only played in two tournies this time so I have no idea if that was a huge issue, though I know it has been before. I guess we should just try to mismatch that.

I don't know. I had no real complaints about this last LAN so I can only say keep it up.

In the worst - words even - of a famous man,

It's time to choose.

We can't guarantee that all big games won't be scheduled next to each other. We can try but at the same time we need to realize that there will always be someone who wants to play two games at the same time.

The event rocked even though I socked!! I heard a few people complaining about the mic being used too much during games..maybe not use the mic to announce each time there is a 1 v 1..and the roffle giveAway always takes too long and I am not sure how to combat that..tell everyone that is interested to go to a corner in the room and just call out loud w/o the mic..I dont know...Loot.

FORCE everyone who gets a raffle ticket to put their name on the opposing ticket. Problem solved instantly.

Actually, by this logic you don't even need raffle tickets. One could simply use small pieces of paper with names on them.

Naturally raffle tickets are easier to manage so I say we stick with them and as people are given a ticket, we write down their name on the opposing ticket. Since we already have to check their gamer handle, we could use that too...

you talkin to me?

He was obviously talking to me, i'm the only Mike around here.

Some suggestions:

-See about getting a water cooler and cups or something like it. That would save time and money.

-Should definitely have some high profile pc games before dinner because its usually all of the popular pc games right in a

row and it doesn't give any break time.

-Maybe we should separate the free play consoles and the tourney consoles and consolidate them so you always know where you can play.

-Raffle tickets really should have names on them

-A tournament sign up table with clipboards to signup on it as well as a couple copies of the game (if pc) so that anyone who doesnt have it can install quick and long before the tourney starts.